Pre season training 22/23

RoyMac5

Some fans need to lower their expectations, Stearman would be decent in league 1. If he stands by us, we should appreciate the  bloke and stand with him. Going into this season on the back foot, with new players to come in and gel, staying up and competing is our primary goal. Anything else would be a bonus.

4 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Some fans need to lower their expectations, Stearman would be decent in league 1. If he stands by us, we should appreciate the  bloke and stand with him. Going into this season on the back foot, with new players to come in and gel, staying up and competing is our primary goal. Anything else would be a bonus.

I agree, aside from his red card which I felt was harsh Stearman never let us down last season. Based on the We Are Derby stuff he was a good character for the rest of the squad too. Having the likes of him, Davies, Forsyth and CKR to provide a foundation for the rest of a squad to be built on is no bad thing. It’ll help any new faces we are able to bring in to settle sooner. 

No one seems to be mentioning Eiran Cashin.

I believe he is out of contract but, AFAIK, has not been linked to anyone.

And no one on here is putting him alongside those we should sign up as quickly as possible.

To me he would be the first one that should be given the club pen and asked to sign above the dotted line.

EDIT: Then Thompson

Edited by IslandExile

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

And no one on here is putting him alongside those we should sign up as quickly as possible.

To me he would be the first one that should be given the club pen and asked to sign above the dotted line.

I hope they've been locked away somewhere and won't be allowed out until they can sign a contract.

Especially Cashin.

42 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You do (like the rest of us) talk nonsense sometimes.

Oh of course and I am exaggerating, just not by that much!

He genuinely is a highly error-prone CB, he always has been - I don't think that's in dispute.

He's always been a divisive figure to fans of clubs he's spent any decent amount of time at - People praising him for is all action, last ditch defending and his attitude vs People criticising him for being all-over-the-place positionally and errors leading to the need for last ditch tackles and diving in. There's plenty of evidence out there. (although I'm not about to go dig it up, there seems little point)

It's been mentioned on here, although I can't remember which poster, that one of his displays for Wolves against us was one of the worst individual defensive performances they'd ever seen. They weren't wrong.

I watched quite a few highlights of Huddersfield's games in the 20/21 season - he was partnered with Keogh and they conceded more goals than any other team in the league - and he stood out as being poor, constantly being pulled out of position, failing to win the ball and then not having the pace to make up for his mistake.

There was little evidence to suggest that he was capable of using his experience to make better decisions, he just looked shot, like many other players who once relied on their physical attributes to make up for other aspects of their game being poor and unable to adapt as they get older.

Against Huddersfield last season he again showed a major lack of judgement in getting himself sent off early, diving in on a short pass without thought for the consequences (far better to be a goal down early than a man down). Against Bristol when he got another chance to start he tried to be clever with the ball, twisted, turned and was easily dispossessed leading to a goal - again not understanding his limitations.

Maybe his mistakes aren't as frequent as I think, but they're certainly not rare either, and I just fear there will be a lot more to come next season if he's regularly starting games.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

44 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Good 4th choice CB. Realistically, LCB should be a battle between Cashin and Davies, with a new 1st choice RCB coming in. Flint or Ihiekwe would have been that RCB. Hopefully we have someone else lined up.

27 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Both Cashin and Thompson have already been offered deals. Just waiting for the EFL to let them go through.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

I had heard a couple of weeks ago that the two youngsters mentioned had been offered contracts but had turned them down, obviously talks can and I hope do carry on . Signing Stearman is simply essential at this point along with Davies and Forsyth 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

YES

11 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Based on some things I’ve been told and things the man himself has said/done I think his post football career is planned for the media. I think you’re right in that he’d make an excellent coach/manager just not sure it’s what he has planned for himself.

I do think he’s integral along with CKR for this season. Where a lot of us suspect Rosenior has the coaching/tactical nous to tap into as the Manager, I think having Curtis as club captain and CKR in the squad will go some way to motivating and driving the players standards/behaviours on and off the pitch.

Curtis has stated himself that he wanted to go into media when he stops playing, but he is also doing his coaching badges according to Rooney, so keeping his options open i would say.

On 28/06/2022 at 11:58, Coconut's Beard said:

Personally I don't think Stearman has the anything to play anywhere as a regular starter.

Hasn't really gained anything mentally with experience to compensate for what he's physically lost.

5-10 minutes off the bench for "Bucko Time" sure, but any more than that and I'll be s******* myself every week.

Fulham away last season  ok we were lucky not to concede but RS was excellent.  Later in the season he spent so much time on the bench he lost all his sharpness