Let's not be "that club"

TomBustler1884

Disappointed to finally have relegation confirmed tonight but it was always the most likely outcome.

Looking ahead to L1, assuming the takeover happens, I'd love us to avoid being that club who thinks we will walk the league and beat all comers.

We are set for the biggest squad overhaul we've ever seen which will be HUGELY unpredictable. We will have a target on our backs all season long, and there are some big clubs here who have more experience of the slog than we do.

I'm hoping that in August I am confident and think we can compete for promotion, but let's just temper expectations for now and keep the "everything is a bonus" approach, its contributed to the best season ever for atmosphere.

There has been a healthy amount of realism in the fanbase this year which has meant, in the main, there hasn’t been the toxic atmosphere you would normally expect for a team facing relegation.

Whatever happens with the points situation, next season is obviously going to be a massive rebuilding exercise. You would hope that most fans would still take account of the context and make no assumptions about going straight back up. I certainly won’t be, but I’m not so sure the less patient amongst us will think the same.

I bet that once CK has taken over (assuming he does) there’ll be a ‘no more excuses’ philosophy amongst some of our resident idiots and the gloves will come off. Let’s face it, there must be some who are absolutely gagging to let fly now, but know they won’t be supported by the majority.

It would be lovely if the surprisingly more joyous atmosphere of this season were to continue, but I’m not convinced it will (unless we win every game obvs!) 

We won’t get a minus 15 points start as CK has stated his plan to pay over 3 years.

We have just been relegated so let’s not start worrying about negative issues that don’t exist yet.

It’s just wasted energy. We will be fine and we will carry on.

Im looking forward to next season and enjoy where ever it takes us.?

3 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

I'm glad to see people already in that mindset but lots of folk on social media and on here giving it the biggun already.

There are many kids out there. For them, this will be their first ever relegation and it will hurt.

One way of coping with that will be for them to declare "we'll be back".

Give them some leeway. Let them handle it in their own way 

Yeah, I agree with this. League one is a tough, tough league and whilst going into it with a positive mindset that we are going to compete for promotion is reasonable, the expectation we are going to immediately bounce back could quickly turn toxic. There is a chance we will need a few seasons down there to rebuild.

It often takes clubs years to get back from League 1.

They players aren't as good as championship players (same as championship players aren't as good as premier league players) but they are not trying less, not making less effort, 3 points don't mean less to everyone playing.

New ownership, rebuilding the club, being a healthy, positive, well run club to be proud of is the next step. I've said it before and I still believe it, there's going to be some seasons of hard grind ahead of us. But, we'll grind our way though it.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

32 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Disappointed to finally have relegation confirmed tonight but it was always the most likely outcome.

Looking ahead to L1, assuming the takeover happens, I'd love us to avoid being that club who thinks we will walk the league and beat all comers.

We are set for the biggest squad overhaul we've ever seen which will be HUGELY unpredictable. We will have a target on our backs all season long, and there are some big clubs here who have more experience of the slog than we do.

I'm hoping that in August I am confident and think we can compete for promotion, but let's just temper expectations for now and keep the "everything is a bonus" approach, its contributed to the best season ever for atmosphere.

Understand what you are saying but I have watched a lot of League 1 games lately and I don’t think we have too much to fear, as long as we can keep most of the squad together ?

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

It often takes clubs years to get back from League 1.

New ownership, rebuilding the club, being a healthy, positive, well run club to be proud of is the next step. I've said it before and I still believe it, there's going to be some seasons of hard grind ahead of us. But, we'll grind our way though it.

In many cases it helps that club a lot on return to the Championship and as we've seen a number of times, the newly promoted side is often then competitive from the get go in the Championship. 

33 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Like we've just lost 10 games on the bounce away from home so who are you stating are thinking that we're going to walk League 1 next season?