World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

4 hours ago, David said:

You're not alone. They are so good yet it's so boring. Not looking to get a rise @Bris Vegas, I know you love this team and their DNA.

I just can't get into it.

I have no affection for this current Spain side.

I liked their previous players. Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, David Silva, David Villa, Puyol, Iker Casillas, Xabi Alonso, Pedro…

They played amazing football and in some ways revolutionized the game.

I have no interest in Barca either these days after all the likeable players left.

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

There is the theory that having the World Cup in winter when all teams are fresh has made it a more even-level playing field.

The weaker teams are fresh and can use fitness levels and physicality to contain the more technical sides and hit them on the break.

Whereas in summer, in the heat and after a long season, technical teams have the edge as they break down the weaker ones. 

I’m not buying into it yet. But Saudi and Japan’s victories were very similar.

Interesting theory. I've also thought it could benefit England, as the Premier League is probably more intense for longer than the other main European leagues.

There was a lot of talk about the lack of a gap between the last Premier League match and the start of the World Cup. However, if the World Cup hadn't happened, I'd have expected to see Kane tearing round the field in the Monday night game for Spurs, in the same way he did for England. Much more desirable than seeing him stumble around half fit in June.

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Japan are aiming for a World Cup win by 2050. I’m all for it, more power to them. Imagine a team outside of South America or Europe winning it. And I like that they have a plan and a realistic target. Not next World Cup, but it’ll be interesting to see their progression over the next 30 years. 

An African team may well win before Japan 

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Next England manager showing what he's about, perhaps?

Herdman?

Just having a look at what he's done with both New Zealand and Canada's men and womens teams. Pretty impressive, as I can't think of a coach that's gone between the women's and men's game and he's flown completely under the radar.

Not sure if he's a future England manager, but it'll be interesting to see where he goes for his next job. 

Edited by Ramarena

9 hours ago, David said:

German middle finger up to FIFA

I feel it's just more moral cowardice. If you believe in it, wear the armband and take the booking. And make it a huge issue for FIFA. 

The brave Iranian team has put pampered westerners to shame. I hope the consequences for them and their families are not too profound. 

15 hours ago, SKRam said:

Is Paulo still involved with the national team? Hope not with that score. He has to be up there with all time Derby heroes yes? Certainly for me at OT that oh so memorable day. 

Dunno what he is doing now, but he had to resign didnt he after he had a punch up with a steward.

13 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Japan are aiming for a World Cup win by 2050. I’m all for it, more power to them. Imagine a team outside of South America or Europe winning it. And I like that they have a plan and a realistic target. Not next World Cup, but it’ll be interesting to see their progression over the next 30 years. 

China are aiming to win it by 2050 as well. Can't see China doing it at all as their squad is still very weak, but I think Japan stands a chance and maybe even South Korea eventually. It would be great to see a nation outside of South America or Europe win it

17 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Spain... such a paradox watching them. I want to like it, but I just can't stand the brand of football they play.

They're like a supermodel, geometrically perfect but you could never see yourself taking them for dinner.

I think it's that all individuality and personality seems to have been coached out of them.

That sums it up perfectly.

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I feel it's just more moral cowardice. If you believe in it, wear the armband and take the booking. And make it a huge issue for FIFA. 

The brave Iranian team has put pampered westerners to shame. I hope the consequences for them and their families are not too profound. 

He said he was prepared to take the booking. The FA made the decision. 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

No one was as surprised as me to see that Cameroon still have Roger Milla up front

I saw the great Roger Milla play for Montpellier SC with Carlos Valderama in 88/89 I think. I couldn't tell you who they played or what was the score. The warm up will stay with me forever though. Whilst the squad was hard at it warming up, Valerama was doing keepy uppy in the centre circle, Roger was lying down, face up, in the shape of a cross for a good 10 minutes, when he eventuall stood up, he kicked one ball which was left there and that was it!

4 minutes ago, sage said:

New story coming out from German joutnalists that all the UEFA countries were going to wear the armband, FIFA threatened the booking sanction, the team said they'd take the bookings, so FIFA threatened the FA with massive sanctions.

I can see a breakaway in the future, UEFA and FIFA don't get along, The powerbase for football is Europe in the main, UEFA need to call their bluff, FIFA would be then a toothless Tiger a roar but no bite.

Watch this space.

18 minutes ago, sage said:

New story coming out from German joutnalists that all the UEFA countries were going to wear the armband, FIFA threatened the booking sanction, the team said they'd take the bookings, so FIFA threatened the FA with massive sanctions.

And a three point deduction for Derby.

48 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I can see a breakaway in the future, UEFA and FIFA don't get along, The powerbase for football is Europe in the main, UEFA need to call their bluff, FIFA would be then a toothless Tiger a roar but no bite.

Watch this space.

I've always wondered about this as a possibility, I guess it will come down to a power struggle as to who calls the strings. ATM it's 'international' money, but would UEFA do a Prem on FIFA?