World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

It's a pretty endless debate whether dressing up as a crusader is offensive in ME 2022. Because it probably depends how it's intended.

There's those that just like to dress up, be daft and genuinely there for a good laugh. 

But there's going to be idiots that are doing it to provoke a reaction. And you can't distinguish between the two. More importantly the people of the middle East are going to have mixed responses. 

I think, it's common sense just not to wear it. It's the decent thing to do. It's the safest thing to do. C'mon, you must have some respect and appreciation for the country you're in. 

Think there's a blurred line between why the WC shouldn't be in Qatar and blatant disrespect for the beliefs and practices in Qatar. Like "why can't they just be like us!?" type attitude. Well, it's not up to Dave 37 year old forklift driver from Leicester. So just respect the culture and people or don't go/complain. 

FIFA knew all this would happen anyway. But the guys there had offshore accounts to top up and mistresses to pay off

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

But once again you've shown yourself up as another of the hypocrites, happy to say people can't identify Eastern Europeans by the way that they dress only to follow that up by saying that I should be able to identify gay people based on...well actually I have no idea what you base it on.

Nope. No hypocrisy at all, as I am in no way saying that you should be able to identify someone's sexuality by anything other than them saying it out loud

I was saying that you've admitted in the past (via the Eastern European thing) to being quite a judgemental person, and that therefore I found your feigned ignorance about Joe Lycett to be entirely performative

Hands up though, you've now clarified that you weren't aware of him until 2 months ago, so I accept that you may have been unaware that he was gay

I'd also like to clarify that I had no idea this guy used to present Match Of The Day

image.thumb.png.d2be1c98f6aa28723bf9510320bc2e71.png

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Qatar has invested a lot of money in this country. We should be greatfull they have invested it in property in London, water companies and let’s face it they are sending us gas over too. I really don’t know what the problem is with everyone. We are all making them richer every day and obviously supporting what they do.

Not everyone.  I think it's clear that there are a few posters on here that are whiter than white and are able to navigate life without any need for compromise.  Or so they think.

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

If I saw Italian fans at Wembley dressed as Roman centurions, Danish fans dressed as Vikings, Frenchmen dressed as whatever the French soldiers looked like in 1066

A lot of the Normans were Cavalry, Chainmail, Jerkin(leather coat under)padded trousers and tops, Metal Helmut...Pretty much the same as the Saxons, You can get all this clobber from Primark at £21.99p ? 

image.png.c99e8b14ca8faf316618c8aeb11874af.png

Or that just think there's a difference between voting labour and leaving the country when they don't get in/moaning about your employer at the bank and flying at to Qatar with the best part of decades worth of warning to hold a football tournament and then complain about it. 

There's compromise and then there's being a complete hypocrite.

9 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I personally wouldn’t wear fancy dress, it’s not my thing. But to kick someone out of the stadium for that is a serious sense of humour failure.

it’s the impression I get about the Middle East in general, and maybe I’m completely wrong, maybe it’s skewed by the media, and I genuinely look forward to going their myself to find out, but there seems to be zero sense of humour. 

the crusades happened literally thousands of years ago, chill the f*** out. There seems to be all sorts of things you can’t joke about, or you’ll lose a hand. I dread to think how stand up comedy works over there. Comedians must be in fear for their life, all the time. 

It's about 800 years ago 

It's still a long time ago but it's a different culture and you have to adapt to an extent. I don't think it was intentionally offensive as you see similar fancy dress at England football amd cricket ganes, but they didn't think it through.

Aa I said in an earlier post, please don't wear this again should be sufficient. 

I like to roam around France dressed as a peasant carrying my English long bow. No one has gorged out my eyes or chopped off my 2 fingers, it’s all the past now.

Anyway the football. The Wales Iran game is quite even. Iran look decent on the break. Bale seems to be there just for penalties & free kicks. 

Edited by Mr. P

9 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I personally wouldn’t wear fancy dress, it’s not my thing. But to kick someone out of the stadium for that is a serious sense of humour failure.

it’s the impression I get about the Middle East in general, and maybe I’m completely wrong, maybe it’s skewed by the media, and I genuinely look forward to going their myself to find out, but there seems to be zero sense of humour. 

the crusades happened literally thousands of years ago, chill the f*** out. There seems to be all sorts of things you can’t joke about, or you’ll lose a hand. I dread to think how stand up comedy works over there. Comedians must be in fear for their life, all the time. 

It's just a hugely different culture. 

But there's obvious scepticism about Western attitudes towards them. 

Britain is odd with it's comedy. The banter, the self deprecating, the sarcasm, the cynical way we are with our humour doesn't always travel well in the West! Nevermind to such vastly different peoples.

I guess you could only compare it Turkey coming with their, I dunno, Ottoman get up. Saracen star and crescents everywhere. Medieval armor. Would people here find it provocative? Hmmm, probably not many. 

But I can understand why such humour is lost in the Middle East. Assuming it is. Because despite the media hype I imagine plenty of Muslims see the fancy dress and don't give a toss. 

But our media loves the Middle East barbarian goat herders stereotype. Stoning women and hanging gays. Always seems to me they paint the worst of them. Maybe it's just because I'm easily triggered by such stuff 

Edited by Alpha

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

But our media loves the Middle East barbarian goat herders stereotype. Stoning women and hanging gays. Always seems to me they paint the worst of them. Maybe it's just because I'm easily triggered by such stuff 

Killing journalists, just allowing women to drive, etc. 

I think the 'still in the Dark Ages' comments are based on stuff like the above. Perhaps it depends on how much money you have to how much it affects you. Although the odd Princess has been known to disappear...

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Killing journalists, just allowing women to drive, etc. 

I think the 'still in the Dark Ages' comments are based on stuff like the above. Perhaps it depends on how much money you have to how much it affects you. Although the odd Princess has been known to disappear...

What's happening in Iran shows that away from the governments there are many many people who have more in common with us than many imagine. 

You could travel the ME and meet millions of people who's beliefs aren't so different. Who are waaaay more open minded than the news stories about governments, militaries suggest. 

21 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It's just a hugely different culture. 

But there's obvious scepticism about Western attitudes towards them. 

Britain is odd with it's comedy. The banter, the self deprecating, the sarcasm, the cynical way we are with our humour doesn't always travel well in the West! Nevermind to such vastly different peoples.

I guess you could only compare it Turkey coming with their, I dunno, Ottoman get up. Saracen star and crescents everywhere. Medieval armor. Would people here find it provocative? Hmmm, probably not many. 

But I can understand why such humour is lost in the Middle East. Assuming it is. Because despite the media hype I imagine plenty of Muslims see the fancy dress and don't give a toss. 

You make a good point Alpha, I'd just stick a Caveat in there, There's 100s of 1000s of people who live in the middle east who have access to the internet, They see the freedoms we have(to a point)and they like what they see, It's those that run the said Countries that are having a negative response to what they see and those that have been preached too all their lives that this is not appropriate in our society.