World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Quite a lot of mid tier teams have picked up draws. My prediction today is whilst the rest of today and tomorrow might be a bit of a damp squib, it will really pick up again on Friday and Saturday as everyone needs to win. 

Damp squid AFTER Germany Vs Japan ofcourse

…where’s that edit button gone???

29 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

England battering Iran suddenly looks like a much better result than we might have thought based on the way some of the top teams are getting turned over so far

Given what’s going on in their country and their dressing room, Iran might get another battering or two. So hard to gauge how England will fare against stronger oppo 

There is the theory that having the World Cup in winter when all teams are fresh has made it a more even-level playing field.

The weaker teams are fresh and can use fitness levels and physicality to contain the more technical sides and hit them on the break.

Whereas in summer, in the heat and after a long season, technical teams have the edge as they break down the weaker ones. 

I’m not buying into it yet. But Saudi and Japan’s victories were very similar.

12 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

But the person playing the pass was also ahead of all the Japan outfield players. I thought he had to be behind the 2nd last defender for it to be offside.

Apparently not.

He received the ball from a  player ahead of him (who himself wasn't offside) via a cut-back, and so wasn't offside. All players effectively were behind the ball when it was played to them.

12 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

But the person playing the pass was also ahead of all the Japan outfield players. I thought he had to be behind the 2nd last defender for it to be offside.

Apparently not.

Havertz was ahead of the German player who played the ball. It didn’t really matter that he was also ahead of the Japanese players and the ball went forward, if he was behind the player who played the ball, it would be fine.

It just so happens that he was ahead of the Japanese players, the German player who played the ball and the ball went forward. So he was as offside as you can get ?

47 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Apparently not.

The person receiving the pass has to be behind the ball or behind at least two players (this usually involves goalies) as the pass is played. 

38 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Havertz was ahead of the German player who played the ball. It didn’t really matter that he was also ahead of the Japanese players and the ball went forward, if he was behind the player who played the ball, it would be fine.

It just so happens that he was ahead of the Japanese players, the German player who played the ball and the ball went forward. So he was as offside as you can get ?

Mmm... So, like I said, managed to get to 50 odd years old without understanding offside. ?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh?

It’s why I don’t do predictions very often!

Hugely fascinating set of results though, are we seeing a blip by the top nations/continents because the best players over the last 10 years are over the hill on this stage or are other nations/continents starting to catch up and are more competitive?

Only France and England really have better squads than they did 10 years ago and France are currently relying on Giroud

Then again, Spain have just gone 3-0 up which kinda undermines what I’m saying 

This tournament has shown sitting back protecting leads doesn't work. The work rate of the so called lesser teams has been fantastic. England just need to continue to dominate, keep the aggressive forward play throughout. If Gareth decides to go back to sitting back on a one nil, England will be punished straight away. 

Attack attack attack.

Spain... such a paradox watching them. I want to like it, but I just can't stand the brand of football they play.

They're like a supermodel, geometrically perfect but you could never see yourself taking them for dinner.

I think it's that all individuality and personality seems to have been coached out of them.

Edited by JoetheRam