Mel Morris: an example

IslandExile

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Pleased that Mel has stood up and made this statement....good on him.

We will now to get to see the real aims and ambitions of the EFL and Middlesbrough/Wycombe towards Derby......if they refuse Mel's offer it will be clear to all that what they wanted to achieve all along wasn't justice but the destruction of Derby County.

And if they do go to the high court with Mel,they will be utterly destroyed.

I think Mel's played a blinder here.

Yes, it could well be his finest hour in the context of 'highs and lows' of football club ownership. I do hope so, and it really does say to Boro and Wycombe; 'put up, or shut up', without further procrastination. 

18 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes, it could well be his finest hour in the context of 'highs and lows' of football club ownership. I do hope so, and it really does say to Boro and Wycombe; 'put up, or shut up', without further procrastination. 

Sorry but just don't see how this can possibly work. See the following Twitter thread for why not

7 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

He's also a barrister...

Whilst having a quick look through (it’s Friday night and a few beers in), he could technically be correct but also doesn’t know enough on Mel's relationship with the club with regard to things like the business structure.

I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt, that he’s bringing up good points to consider, but he’s looking at a very complicated situation and trying to give a simple answer. Also I imagine some of the tweets where ‘Mel should have said this that or the other’ could be things coming further down the line if there’s pushback from this first statement. 

It’s impossible for those of us on the outside of it all to really have an opinion that’s based on anything, as it’s entangled within a mess basically. 

There's a work around here for MM and Derby, there's nothing to stop him undertaking the following ...

1. Agree to pay Derbys legal fees for a court case against m/w

2. Agree to pay any legal costs that arise

3. Sign a contract for this with Derby, stating that the legal fees to be given by mm are only for that purpose and not to prolong the survival of the club which is dependent on a new buyer being found. That the money is only applicable for an long as Derby shall remain a club, in case it goes into liquidation,  why continue the case.

This would negate mm not being able to stand in for Derby in the way he currently has preposed.

Let the potential buyers know he's doing this, with a contract stating the removal from them of legal liability for m/w cost.

Let the efl know that Derby wish to proceed in this way, requesting that under these circumstances, Derby be allowed to progress with the sale.

Edited by Oldben
Added content

6 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I think this will ultimately prove whether Gibbo is serious when he says he has no desire to liquidate the club. If he won’t go for this then that statement is just noise. 

Mel has said he will see them in the High Court.

'Glib'son has said he isn't interested in upsetting us poor uninformed and misled fans. Reality is arbitration is cheaper and much more likely to go in his favour.

Those two sides are unlikely to want to give ground,  so it depends what pressure the EFL, politicians,  public can (will) bring on them. 

Glibson could agree to leave the arbitration angle to one side or Mel could say he will accept arbitration and sign an indemnity for the new buyer. Still feels like 2 poker players refusing to show their last card.

Personally and yes i do think uncle Mel has done wrong .

But is anyone else like me and think Uncle Mel is being a tad unfairly crucified .

Personally think he just tried to be a little bit to clever .If you read his statements and really take it all in you can see his points and i have to be honest i agree with 98% of them i have to be honest . 

If he came back to watch a match i wouldnt pat him on the back lets put it like that but i wouldnt wish him ill .

Yes he warrants some negativity but for me not in the amount he is getting it right now . 

You can clearly see here that there is a brick wall to knock down in the shape of the EFL AND PARRY AND GIBSON . I personally thing Mel wil lnot be remembered for Derby County but for bringing down almost single handly the EFL . Because make no mistake when this is done the MP's will move swiftly on replacing the EFL . 

15 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Personally and yes i do think uncle Mel has done wrong .

But is anyone else like me and think Uncle Mel is being a tad unfairly crucified .

Personally think he just tried to be a little bit to clever .If you read his statements and really take it all in you can see his points and i have to be honest i agree with 98% of them i have to be honest . 

If he came back to watch a match i wouldnt pat him on the back lets put it like that but i wouldnt wish him ill .

Yes he warrants some negativity but for me not in the amount he is getting it right now . 

You can clearly see here that there is a brick wall to knock down in the shape of the EFL AND PARRY AND GIBSON . I personally thing Mel wil lnot be remembered for Derby County but for bringing down almost single handly the EFL . Because make no mistake when this is done the MP's will move swiftly on replacing the EFL . 

I agree with you. They want him to break cover and speak up, he does and there they are to shoot him down. I’m not saying he’s going to be the returning hero, but just give him a break to let this play out. 
I’ve seen people claim his offer is empty and it’ll never stand up in law, I’ve seen people say it’s going to allow us to move forward. I’m not a law expert, I know less than nothing about it, reading stuff on Twitter doesn’t make you well informed, I think too many people forget that. 
when dealing with lawyers nothing is ever quick. There’s dozens of facets to this mess, it’s going to take time. 

I'm pleased MM has made this move. It doesn't exonerate him from the mess we're in but he's at least done a noble thing here.

Personally I don't care who steps in to save Derby County, I just want it to be saved. Sell all the players if we have to and sign fans up to play, I'm not bothered. The idea of letting this club with its history - a 138 year old unbroken chain from the likes of Steve Bloomer to here - is too costly to think about. 

I know I'm certainly more critical than most fans most of the time but I love this club. And I love this town.

Edited by LittleEatonRam
Typos

11 hours ago, Red Ram said:

Sorry but just don't see how this can possibly work. See the following Twitter thread for why not

Whilst we all appear to agree that Mel's statement was very personal, and aimed squarely at SG, RP / the EFL, and that nobody from WW, surely Mel would not have been so stupid as to not take legal advice before going public.

It came across as a piece that probably took some time to draft, certainly not just a knee jerk reaction to other recent events.

It is possible, like others have said, that Mel has been waiting to step in for some time to allow others to 'show their hands', and has been drafting this statement during that time.

Some of the comments could even be libellous, so if he hadn't taken legal advice, he'd be a bloody fool.

59 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

Whilst we all appear to agree that Mel's statement was very personal, and aimed squarely at SG, RP / the EFL, and that nobody from WW, surely Mel would not have been so stupid as to not take legal advice before going public.

It came across as a piece that probably took some time to draft, certainly not just a knee jerk reaction to other recent events.

It is possible, like others have said, that Mel has been waiting to step in for some time to allow others to 'show their hands', and has been drafting this statement during that time.

Some of the comments could even be libellous, so if he hadn't taken legal advice, he'd be a bloody fool.

They are only libellous if they aren't true. He'll have proof.

1 hour ago, Addingham Ram said:

Hopefully not the same legal advice he took when bulleting Sam Rush. And trying to unfairly impose an illegal variation in Richard Keoghs playing contract. 

Might have done the above without any legal advice at all. Which would make him an even bigger fool. 

I accept that I may be alone with this view… so don’t all pile on, I am fully aware that in the end it was a disaster, but….

I read and 100% agree with everything that Mel says in his lengthy letter. 

He slams the EFL for their almost childlike behaviour from the very beginning; making up rules to suit themselves; systematically   removing all of the (fair and reasonable) options Mel had, creating this whole ******** scenario to suit their board member. 

let’s not forget too much that the EFL are way more to blame for this mess than Mel - he was a smart guy, did some really smart things but at the end of the day, the EFL sucked away his will. They don’t like smart people with their smart ideas.

EFL are self righteous dinosaurs, and they will become extinct when the dust settles. They can’t survive the shambles they have created, and I for one will be celebrating when they are removed (even if we are in the Midlands North division).

Don’t shoot me. But most of us agreed with every move Mel made at the time.. maybe a few too many sackings but hey… at least he tried.. ?