Mel Morris: an example

IslandExile

45 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

Don’t shoot me. But most of us agreed with every move Mel made at the time.. maybe a few too many sackings but hey… at least he tried.. ?

The sackings except Pearson, who shouldn't have been appointed were crazy. But he appointed them to carry on The Derby Way!

Maybe a bit with the early (over)spending. But after all the shenanigans and costs (he knew what our finances were like!) he does it again with Lampard! FFS he learnt nothing, nothing at all.

So no, he's to blame. The EFL may have made it difficult for him to fudge things, but in the end he overspent.

Edited by RoyMac5

43 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

I accept that I may be alone with this view… so don’t all pile on, I am fully aware that in the end it was a disaster, but….

I read and 100% agree with everything that Mel says in his lengthy letter. 

He slams the EFL for their almost childlike behaviour from the very beginning; making up rules to suit themselves; systematically   removing all of the (fair and reasonable) options Mel had, creating this whole ******** scenario to suit their board member. 

let’s not forget too much that the EFL are way more to blame for this mess than Mel - he was a smart guy, did some really smart things but at the end of the day, the EFL sucked away his will. They don’t like smart people with their smart ideas.

EFL are self righteous dinosaurs, and they will become extinct when the dust settles. They can’t survive the shambles they have created, and I for one will be celebrating when they are removed (even if we are in the Midlands North division).

Don’t shoot me. But most of us agreed with every move Mel made at the time.. maybe a few too many sackings but hey… at least he tried.. ?

I agree with your comments about the EFL being dinosaurs that much is true.

Think Mel tried to be far too clever for his own benefit and nobody likes a smartarse, I should know. 

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The sackings except Pearson, who shouldn't have been appointed were crazy. But he appointed them to carry on The Derby Way!

Maybe a bit with the early (over)spending. But after all the shenanigans and costs (he knew what our finances were like!) he does it again with Lampard! FFS he learnt nothing, nothing at all.

So no, he's to blame. The EFL may have made it difficult for him to fudge things, but in the end he overspent.

While I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but I’m really curious to know by how much you think he overspent? £60m? £30m? In other words would have been ok if he had stayed just inside the P&S threshold? Or way under..? 

11 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

While I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but I’m really curious to know by how much you think he overspent? £60m? £30m? In other words would have been ok if he had stayed just inside the P&S threshold? Or way under..? 

He could have spent as much as he liked as long as the Club was financially safe. 

He promised he pay the Clubs 'expenses' until he found a buyer, he didn't. 

On 04/02/2022 at 23:42, Red Ram said:

Sorry but just don't see how this can possibly work. See the following Twitter thread for why not

We are all sorry, obviously. I wasn't claiming to have enough legal expertise to be able to endorse Mr Morris's statement. More hope than expectation on my part.