Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

So amusing, as many were from Newcastle, but Leeds and Liverpool residents gave them much competition. I loved the grumpy wife/rum and coke observation too.

Regarding People loading their plates like jenga and leaving it just because they can. There was one classic example where a very attractive 25’ish women sat next to us, and all was good until she opened her mouth. Must have been Leeds I would think, but every 5th word was an expletive of some kind. Anyway despite having 2 knives and forks, and a desert fork/spoon, on the table, she returned from her first and only foray to the buffet with a horrendous plate of food. Salad, chips, spaghetti bolognese, beef bourguignon and various meats. All piled up like a plate of sick. And on top was a slice of pizza which I don’t know whether she selected to eat, or it was simply a make-do ledge on which she had put a slice of cake. She did eat quite a bit of it to be fair, and fortunately with her mouth closed. Small mercies.

She wasn't Leeds then - 25 year olds in Leeds explete every 3 words in my experience

Weather forecasts.

OK, I get that it’s difficult to predict several days in advance but how are meant to know what to do when, for where I live for the next three hours, the BBC says “low chance of precipitation”, the weather channel says between 72% and 94% of snow all morning and the met office is somewhere in the middle. ??‍♂️

I’m probably better off buying a cow and seeing if it’s lying down or not.

Edited by Tamworthram

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Weather forecasts.

OK, I get that it’s difficult to predict several days in advance but how are meant to know what to do when, for where I live for the next three hours, the BBC says “low chance of precipitation”, the weather channel says between 72% and 94% of snow all morning and the met office is somewhere in the middle. ??‍♂️

I’m probably better off buying a cow and seeing if it’s lying down or not.

Put some seaweed by the back door. It is dry it wont rain soon. If its damp rain likely. If its solid its icy out. If its underwater you are too late, call the lifeboat.

BBC are to talk to Gary Lineker about his tweets. What people say outside the workplace, on their own personal accounts, as long as it is not discriminatory or abusive, is completely their own business - no matter what it is that they say. Particularly if they are completely unrelated to the capacity in which they are employed (e.g. Laura Kuennsberg talking about football). And if you have a problem with media stars using social media then you put it in their contract that they are not allowed to have a personal account. But you don't selectively speak to one person just because what they say irritates people in high places.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64883655

12 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

BBC are to talk to Gary Lineker about his tweets. What people say outside the workplace, on their own personal accounts, as long as it is not discriminatory or abusive, is completely their own business - no matter what it is that they say. Particularly if they are completely unrelated to the capacity in which they are employed (e.g. Laura Kuennsberg talking about football). And if you have a problem with media stars using social media then you put it in their contract that they are not allowed to have a personal account. But you don't selectively speak to one person just because what they say irritates people in high places.

I agree but it's really tricky because Lineker is a massive knobber. 

I'm not sure why the BBC think, or anyone thinks, that his opinions have any reflection on their views. 

We know the BBC has a fine moral compass though 

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm not sure why the BBC think, or anyone thinks, that his opinions have any reflection on their views. 

No bigger a knobber than than Piers Morgan, Julie Hartley Brewer or many others. And the bit that is really strange that it's his views on migrants that cause issue. No challenge to Jeremy Vine and his views on cyclists, Marc Riley and his view on animal rights, Dan Walker and his views on Piers Morgan. When governments start directing what personal views media personnel can express then maybe Gary was nearer than he expected to be in his analogy with places like 1930s Germany.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I've no time for Lineker, But he has as much of a right to voice an opinion as you and I, The BBC? I would have thought have had a clear message from Government to calm Lineker down, Shut down freedom of speech and that just adds another nail in our already nailed coffins.

4 hours ago, The Last Post said:

I've no time for Lineker, But he has as much of a right to voice an opinion as you and I, The BBC? I would have thought have had a clear message from Government to calm Lineker down, Shut down freedom of speech and that just adds another nail in our already nailed coffins.

As others have said, Lineker doesn't work for the BBC so really not sure what the government is trying to achieve. I'm convinced the Beeb have shone a light on this to show the pressure it is under, and it has worked.

23 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

As others have said, Lineker doesn't work for the BBC so really not sure what the government is trying to achieve. I'm convinced the Beeb have shone a light on this to show the pressure it is under, and it has worked.

Pretty smart if that's true. Hadn't occurred to me, but now you mention it... 

11 minutes ago, sage said:

If they sacked LIneker I imagine he could take them to the cleaners in court. It's not like he's a newsreader or hosts Question Time.

Surely the BBC should just redress the balance by letting Suella Braverman pick goal of the month 

Letting migrants drown in the sea would be an unusual goal of the month winner, but it could work.

46 minutes ago, sage said:

If they sacked LIneker I imagine he could take them to the cleaners in court. It's not like he's a newsreader or hosts Question Time.

Surely the BBC should just redress the balance by letting Suella Braverman pick goal of the month 

I believe he's now a self employed brand backdated to avoid paying that multi million tax bill that was levied .  As such, I assume he would have an issue with any court action. 

On 08/03/2023 at 11:02, Alpha said:

Agree,agree a massive nobber and also a cnut