Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

13 hours ago, Rev said:

Scammers.

I work for a small engineering company, and during the course of a 10 minute phone call this morning, they managed to help themselves to £70,000 of company money. 

A years wages for our 3 most junior employees, in other words.

Sorry to hear that!

Hope the company recover without having to lay any staff.

These scammers don’t think of the ripple effect of their so called ‘victimless crimes’ nor do they care!

I’m getting in first with the ‘I’m grateful to be having any holiday’. But - 

transfer buses, and also holidaymakers on them. Why, when your hotel is closest to the airport and choose one that way as you’re not too happy on coaches, do you go miles away and round every damn resort to get dropped off last? 
then travellers who actually miss their drop off because they’re either too stupefied by aeroplane alcohol or too brain dead, then you have to go all the way back to kick them off. Yes this happened! 

17 hours ago, Rev said:

Scammers.

I work for a small engineering company, and during the course of a 10 minute phone call this morning, they managed to help themselves to £70,000 of company money. 

A years wages for our 3 most junior employees, in other words.

The scammers are getting pretty damn good according to our Government.

I got a text a few weeks back saying 2 payments are pending 1 from Amazon and another from abroad, Press 1 to allow or press to for more information.

I pressed 2 while looking at my bank account(nothing pending)I spoke to Steve with a very strong Indian accent, He was telling me fraud is on the rise and it's best I move my money to another account, I asked him which bank I'm in and what is my name, He said this is of the upmost urgency if I want to keep hold of my money.

Obviously scammers, I then went on to verbally abuse him and he had the audacity to say he hopes my Mother if fu**ed by a Turnip, Well they had better have a vegetable shop in heaven.

PS the Indian sense of a put down is shyte 😁 

Edited by The Last Post

3 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I’m getting in first with the ‘I’m grateful to be having any holiday’. But - 

transfer buses, and also holidaymakers on them. Why, when your hotel is closest to the airport and choose one that way as you’re not too happy on coaches, do you go miles away and round every damn resort to get dropped off last? 
then travellers who actually miss their drop off because they’re either too stupefied by aeroplane alcohol or too brain dead, then you have to go all the way back to kick them off. Yes this happened! 

Tell me about it 😁

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

Sorry to hear that!

Hope the company recover without having to lay any staff.

These scammers don’t think of the ripple effect of their so called ‘victimless crimes’ nor do they care!

Thankfully, there's enough of a business to survive the hit without lay offs, but there's a lot of similar sized companies who couldn't survive such an event. 

Hopefully, we'll get the money back after the investigation is completed.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Thankfully, there's enough of a business to survive the hit without lay offs, but there's a lot of similar sized companies who couldn't survive such an event. 

Hopefully, we'll get the money back after the investigation is completed.

Rev, assuming its possible without comprising any identities/confidentially, would you please care to share how this scam 'worked'?

Girl in accounts gets an email off "the boss" (Boss' Email changed to such miniscule levels, girl in accounts doesn't notice!)

"Hi Sally,
Need to pay a new supplier.  I've ordered some blah, blah, blah at a good rate, and I need it urgently, so we have to pay Pro-Forma until we set up an account with them.
Bank details are blah, blah, blah.... £5k plus vat.
They'll be sending the Pro Forma invoice later.
Can you do it straight away, as I need them to dispatch it before end of play today.

Cheers.
Mr Boss."

Now, this is a friendly company, ran slightly informally, and the trusting Sally has absolutely no reason to double check directly with the boss that this is genuine.
The figures stated are by no means out of the ordinary, and also fall within any banking daily payment limits that may apply.
Akin to that, the boss is often out of the office, sometimes for a few hours, sometimes not seen for a day or so.

The plot thickens...

A few hours later (Behind the scenes, the scammers now see that the £5k plus vat has been paid into the aforementioned bank account...

"Hi Sally,
Sorry to mess you about.
Just ordered some more stuff from that same company.
Can you pay them another £25k plus vat before you go home.
They are emailing me the invoice shortly.  And the Credit Account Application form, so we can set up an account with them.
I'll forward it all on to you when I get it, if I get chance.  I'll be in in the morning anyway, so will tidy things up then.
Thanks.

Mr Boss"

The above is based on a true account from a business acquaintance  (I don't recall the finer details, but it's near enough for this exercise!).  This happened about a year or so ago. 
If I recall correctly, the bank eventually agreed to pay some back, following an investigation, and once it was found to be a scam, but of course, it ain't really their responsibility, so my acquaintance was rather relieved that he (his company) only lost c. £10k in the end, and not the full £30k (plus vat!) 😲

Am I close, @Rev🤷‍♂️

Edited by Mucker1884

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Girl in accounts gets an email off "the boss" (Boss' Email changed to such miniscule levels, girl in accounts doesn't notice!)

"Hi Sally,
Need to pay a new supplier.  I've ordered some blah, blah, blah at a good rate, and I need it urgently, so we have to pay Pro-Forma until we set up an account with them.
Can you do it straight away, as I need them to dispatch it before end of play today.

Cheers.
Mr Boss."

Now, this is a friendly company, ran slightly informally, and the trusting Sally has absolutely no reason to double check directly with the boss that this is genuine.
The figures stated are by no means out of the ordinary, and also fall within any banking daily payment limits that may apply.
Akin to that, the boss is often out of the office, sometimes for a few hours, sometimes not seen for a day or so.

The plot thickens...

A few hours later (Behind the scenes, the scammers now see that the £5k plus vat has been paid into the aforementioned bank account...

"Hi Sally,
Sorry to mess you about.
They are emailing me the invoice shortly.  And the Credit Account Application form, so we can set up an account with them.
I'll forward it all on to you when I get it, if I get chance.  I'll be in in the morning anyway, so will tidy things up then.
Thanks.

Mr Boss"

The above is based on a true account from a business acquaintance  (I don't recall the finer details, but it's near enough for this exercise!).  This happened about a year or so ago. 
If I recall correctly, the bank eventually agreed to pay some back, following an investigation, and once it was found to be a scam, but of course, it ain't really their responsibility, so my acquaintance was rather relieved that he (his company) only lost c. £10k in the end, and not the full £30k (plus vat!) 😲

Am I close, @Rev🤷‍♂️

Wow, TF I'm both head chef and bottle washer. 😬

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Wow, TF I'm both head chef and bottle washer. 😬

To be fair, "Sally" (You knew that's not her real name, yeah? 🤣) was absolutely gutted.  Literally in tears, offering to resign.  Offering to pay it back (Tenner a week type thing, I think?)  Mr Boss would have none of it.  He could see how good a scam it was.

Actually... not sure if my recollection of the bank paying some back is correct now... Think that might have been the insurance, not the bank?  Sorry, not sure!  🤷‍♂️

32 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Rev, assuming its possible without comprising any identities/confidentially, would you please care to share how this scam 'worked'?

I'm hearing this second hand, rather than from the horses mouth, so it's probably full of holes.

Being vague, a phone call to the office on Monday morning.

Hi, we're calling from your bank, and we suspect a fraudulent transaction has taken place amongst a batch of  payments you made last Friday.

The caller then dropped the name of a occasional supplier of ours, a firm who are by no means a household name, and not one easily guessed at like utilities, broadband etc.

This detail was enough to lower the defences, apparently, and the employee proceeded to log onto the website address provided by the caller. 

Once the page had loaded up, seemingly the normal online banking page, they logged in as normal and followed instructions. 

The screen went blank several times, and eventually the employee heard something in the background of the phone call, which was still ongoing, that alerted them all may not be what it seemed, and immediately hung up.

The next bit is bizarre, the phone immediately rang, and a different person answered. 

The caller asked them to tell their colleague it was too late, they'd already took all the money, and told them to suck their dick!

Seems an oddly personal response to a stranger you'd already ripped off, and removed any doubt over what had actually happened.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

"Hi Sally,

Cheers.
Mr Boss."

The plot thickens...

"Hi Sally,
Sorry to mess you about.
Thanks.

Mr Boss"

Am I close, @Rev🤷‍♂️

Not that sophisticated, unfortunately. 

So the money has gone, but surely there has to be the details of where it went to recorded?

I'm curious as to how the electronic 'paper trail' is of no benefit. The initial receiving account has to belong to the crooks, or am I being niave?

On 04/07/2023 at 22:40, Grumpy Git said:

So the money has gone, but surely there has to be the details of where it went to recorded?

I'm curious as to how the electronic 'paper trail' is of no benefit. The initial receiving account has to belong to the crooks, or am I being niave?

I've no idea. 

Their first action was to make two small payments into legitimate accounts, which has seen those accounts locked.  

Then set up 3 new payees, and empty the firms account into those accounts. I'd guess they immediately move the money out before those accounts are locked.

• 2 weeks later...

People who put things in urinals that shouldn't be there (chewing gum, paper towels) - I just think, oh, come on... someone has to get that out! and...

When your exhausted after work & have to attend some bone school thing in the school hall, a teacher on the stage will always try to say something funny - but it isn't in any way - there is always some parent (usually a mother) who will do this fake canned laughter!