Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

43 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

TV programmes that insist on quoting distances in Kilometres. Ben Fogle, Race Across the World, and numerous others.

In Britain we use MILES!

It annoys me that for some weird reason, in this country we seem to use both! We don't measure anything at work in imperial. Whether it's something 17 metres in length, or I'm filing something to change it by 0.10 of a millimetre. So why do we still use miles? Maybe couldn't afford to change all the distance signs 😀.

I'm old, but I haven't a clue what I weigh in stones. I only use KGs. Yet if asked about height, I'm six foot one. I buy petrol by the litre. Then people use MPG. Why? 

I don't really mind which system we use, but I've never understood why we seem to try and use both.

34 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

It annoys me that for some weird reason, in this country we seem to use both! We don't measure anything at work in imperial. Whether it's something 17 metres in length, or I'm filing something to change it by 0.10 of a millimetre. So why do we still use miles? Maybe couldn't afford to change all the distance signs 😀.

I'm old, but I haven't a clue what I weigh in stones. I only use KGs. Yet if asked about height, I'm six foot one. I buy petrol by the litre. Then people use MPG. Why? 

I don't really mind which system we use, but I've never understood why we seem to try and use both.

Like a 3.6 metre length of 4x2 😂

When I started college in 1971 we were told to forget all about feet and inches and just use metric, still not quite there.

3 hours ago, Highgate said:

Imperial measurements, and all the stubborn refusals to adopt the objectively more simple, and less error prone, metric system.

Possibly right but also our close ties to USA which still ignores SI units completely. I remember in 1970's we had to contractually  supply drawings to customers in inches.

At some point maybe we will drive on the right (some people already do in BMWs).

Amazed we haven't gone to Metric time: 100 secs to minute, 100 minutes to the hour, 10 hours to the day. 10 months to Year with 5 blank days at year end to get drunk in.

5 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I agree, @ketteringram! It is confusing and strange. I taught my pupils metric maths whilst still using imperial myself. Very quirky!

On 21/04/2023 at 11:32, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Tuck themselves away in the bad weather as well to give you a taste of what life is like without them.  The bamfords of the weed world.  Councils never pick up the cuttings properly or clear road verges now to give them a head start.  Dandelions on steroids.

I used to dislike dandelions as well until I found out that they provide much needed pollen for early emerging bees at a time before summer flowers have started to bloom and so support the bee population. I read last week that the government have given the go ahead for continued use of certain pesticides on crops which kill bees as well as 'pests' so I guess these dandelions are doing their bit to support a very necessary eco-system without which humans might not survive. 20 years ago I would have banished them from my garden, but now we leave them.

35 minutes ago, Miggins said:

I used to dislike dandelions as well until I found out that they provide much needed pollen for early emerging bees at a time before summer flowers have started to bloom and so support the bee population. I read last week that the government have given the go ahead for continued use of certain pesticides on crops which kill bees as well as 'pests' so I guess these dandelions are doing their bit to support a very necessary eco-system without which humans might not survive. 20 years ago I would have banished them from my garden, but now we leave them.

They get left for a bit.  More by design than choice.  I'm very conscious of bees though and ensure they have plebty of the necessary requirements in terms of wildflowers and winter habitat.

Barbers.

Chaps nowadays don't want a haircut anymore. Beard trim and wash, them bloody fade haircuts which take ages to cut and now they offer facial masks!

It's the wives waiting for the blokes to be done now.

On 23/04/2023 at 12:21, The Last Post said:

Did you actually read what she said? If not, this is it.

“It is true that many types of white people with points of difference, such as redheads, can experience this prejudice.

“But they are not all their lives subject to racism. In pre-civil rights America, Irish people, Jewish people and Travellers were not required to sit at the back of the bus.

“In apartheid South Africa, these groups were allowed to vote. And at the height of slavery, there were no white-seeming people manacled on the slave ships.”

I might disagree with her need to say it, and the lack of benefit that comes from trying to make the point. But the point is valid.

17 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

“It is true that many types of white people with points of difference, such as redheads, can experience this prejudice.

“But they are not all their lives subject to racism. In pre-civil rights America, Irish people, Jewish people and Travellers were not required to sit at the back of the bus.

“In apartheid South Africa, these groups were allowed to vote. And at the height of slavery, there were no white-seeming people manacled on the slave ships.”

I might disagree with her need to say it, and the lack of benefit that comes from trying to make the point. But the point is valid.

Now why wouldn't I read what was reported in the press, Did you? 

Ms Abbott's letter prompted a backlash, including from the Board of Deputies of British Jews, which described it as "disgraceful" and her apology "entirely unconvincing".

In her apology, the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington said "errors" arose in an initial draft that was sent.

She continued: "But there is no excuse, and I wish to apologise for any anguish caused.

If she's not misspoken she's missdraftin 🙄

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

Now why wouldn't I read what was reported in the press, Did you? 

Ms Abbott's letter prompted a backlash, including from the Board of Deputies of British Jews, which described it as "disgraceful" and her apology "entirely unconvincing".

In her apology, the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington said "errors" arose in an initial draft that was sent.

She continued: "But there is no excuse, and I wish to apologise for any anguish caused.

If she's not misspoken she's missdraftin 🙄

Yeah, I did. I do just think she's paying now for her previous allegiances. Diane Abbott did fantastic work for so many people, of all creeds and colours, and advanced much in society. It really is a shame that she has ended up in this position - I'm not saying, as I said, I support her choice of words but it just felt like an opportune moment for Kier to turn on her. As for whether the Deputy of the Board of Jews found it disgraceful, I have no surprise he/she did and they are entitled to their opinion - doesn't mean they are right. As for her apologizing, I hear her saying she's apologizing for anguish caused, not for being factually incorrect in what she said. Silly move by her, would just love if all media so roundly turned on every back bencher, or front bencher, who made comments like this. Of whatever party!

So, in the title of the thread, Dianne Abbott does not annoy me and shoudn't annoy me - even if I do agree she c0cked up on this one.

5 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

They were systematically murdered, starved, enslaved by moors, forced out of property and tenanted, denied the right to lodgings,  shot for civil rights protesting, given the shittiest jobs and most dangerous jobs for the lowest pay mind.  As such, I'm not sure civil rights abuse in America has the monopoly on the rest.