Nottingham Forest Match-day Thread Saturday 22nd January 12.30

Anag Ram

19 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

Didnt Fozzy get banned retrospectively for an accidental step backwards on the opposition player?

Will Grabbans challenge be re-visited? It's quite clear from the replays....

No because he was booked so can’t be banned retrospectively. Another EFL brainwave (well FA but they’re all the same). 

Just now, jono said:

There’s competitive winding up / sledging and then there is cheating - different things .. that mouthy ginger lad held his hand to his face .. he was lying in order to get an opponent booked. That’s is pure dirt and should not be allowed in the game. For me fake hands to faces and feigning injury should be straight red. I’m serious. This is sport, you just don’t do it. 

Samba assaulted Lawrence off the ball, Lawrence retaliated. The rules probably say yellow for both. Samba has no excuse at all. Lawrence as captain might have done better but when adrenaline is high these things happen. 

Agree that feigning injury should be punished. I hope I've not said anything to suggest otherwise. 

Also don't think I've ever said that Samba should have gone unpunished for his behaviour after the penalty was scored. I'm simply saying that the ref was correct to take no action against him for joining the fracas that followed Ravel's sending off - there were several players involved in that, all goading each other. I could be wrong but I don't think that using verbals to get a rise out of an opponent is against the rues, provided it's only verbals and nothing physical. The player on the receiving end of said goading should be the better man and rise above it like a professional, in my opinion. 

The point that adrenaline is high and these things are more likely to happen in circumstances like that is not one that I disagree with, but it applies equally to all players on both sides, so I'm not sure of its relevance. 

Tbh getting wound up and upset about things that happened after a penalty when the ball is dead is clutching at straws a little bit in my opinion. It's what happens when the ball is alive and in play that I'm interested in, where the game should be won or lost, and what we should be discussing. 

I enjoyed Derbys performance to be honest we played football throughout 

obviously Grabban could / should have been sent of for the challenge on Thompson’s stomach and definitely  should have been with at least two more challenges from behind whilst on a booking but the ref didn’t get do his job probably that said the bounce of the ball dropped for him and he scored followed by a break away goal once we were pushing plenty of bodies forward. We should have scored through Lawrence and could easily have done in the second half but the bounce of the ball didn’t go our way until we actually were given our second penalty of the season which was well taken. Morrison doesn’t seem to actually help us a great deal does he as he looks slow and the speed of our play drops when he is in possession that said I think the sending off was harsh and not in the same league compared to the Grabban one.

special mention to the notts forest goalkeeper who appears to need some help which should have come from the refereee firstly he should have been booked for standing in front of the penalty spot for so long booked for being a fool after we scored should have been booked further up field following that and should have been booked after the final whistle one out of four bookings was a lucky result for him and what is it about small ginger haired people the red one today expressed his desire to never be invited to anything and comes across as a complete well you know what.

considering we have a few old professionals and a load of academy kids we looked very decent without having obviously a goal scorer on the books - forest get the points but they should probably be a bit concerned because they didn’t deserve them.

19 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Disappointing result, where I think a draw would not have been an overly unfair reflection of the game. Shame to lose to that lot, but rather lose this one than any the of next run of 5 games we have.

Battling performance. The young lads did us proud, although none of them had the best of games, but they are all maturing nicely (other than perhaps Sibbo ?) and if we can hold on to them we have a good team forming. Probably the biggest miss today was Shinnie; not a particularly big fan of his, but it was the kind of scrappy game where he would have been a better switch for Tommo after he was booked, rather than Morrison. Forest won because arguably they had the two best players on the day - Johnson who is some talent, and Spence at right back.

We can’t keep winning games. Today won’t be a bad day if Reading, Peterborough and Hull all join Cardiff by not making any great ground on us.

Up the Rams.

Yes. Shinnie is the kind of hard but cooler head we could have used today. I was very impressed by Spence. Stopped crosses and joined the attack. Buchanan was just out gunned.
I prefer a last 30 with Kaz pushing opponents back. Like you I think we were bound to lose one soon and it hurts doubly because it’s them but we can go again. The EFL will be rubbing their hands despite Parry’s fake eminence grise pronouncements. 

Gutted, didn’t deserve to lose but didn’t deserve to win. I can’t say the best team won because I thought we were very equal, which for them must be worrying because of how team has been assembled vs how theirs has. The injury for Samba was awful, I really hope it’s as bad as it looked. Harsh red card, I thought his foot lifted because it bounced on top of the ball which he actually won. Shame Tom didn’t score 1st half, I think we’d have won it if he did. 

Shame we changed a lot of the things that we’ve been doing well today, we seemed to be more bothered about matching up to them than playing our game.

I think fatigue also played a part on the pitch too, it’s been a physical and emotional rollercoaster for everyone. Today was where we missed Shinnie and jags.

We started brightly enough, but Cooper put a stop to that with a smart tactical change.

Lawrence tucks that first chance away and it’s a different game. Sadly not to be.

Morrisons red maybe harsh, certainly in light of Grabban and Samba’s transgressions. That said I don’t understand why Morrison gets on the field well before Sibley or anyone else. Sure if we’re winning bring him on to strangle the life out of the game, but if we’re chasing then forget it!

On to the next one and hopefully we get back to doing things our way!

13 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Agree that feigning injury should be punished. I hope I've not said anything to suggest otherwise. 

Also don't think I've ever said that Samba should have gone unpunished for his behaviour after the penalty was scored. I'm simply saying that the ref was correct to take no action against him for joining the fracas that followed Ravel's sending off - there were several players involved in that, all goading each other. I could be wrong but I don't think that using verbals to get a rise out of an opponent is against the rues, provided it's only verbals and nothing physical. The player on the receiving end of said goading should be the better man and rise above it like a professional, in my opinion. 

The point that adrenaline is high and these things are more likely to happen in circumstances like that is not one that I disagree with, but it applies equally to all players on both sides, so I'm not sure of its relevance. 

I think we are singing from the same hymn sheet. The Sibley incident was particular because first the opponent feigned injury and when he was ignored then went into wind up mode. In my antiquated sporting ethics manual he crossed the line in the first instance and then bounced either side of it in the second. Not a sportsman, not clever, just dishonourable. 

I’m not so much of a stuffed shirt that I don’t understand wragging your opponent is part of the competitive nature of sport, and it can even be funny at times, but there are lines, on a personal level, I hate to see crossed. When it happens it cheapens sport.