Nottingham Forest Match-day Thread Saturday 22nd January 12.30

Anag Ram

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

It’s not actually racist though, is it? And to hear this false equivalence is actually quite insulting to those of us that have to endure actual racism. 

Sure we could lay off the personal insults, but this isn’t racism. 

Maybe discriminatory is a better term ?

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

It’s not actually racist though, is it? And to hear this false equivalence is actually quite insulting to those of us that have to endure actual racism. 

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

Contrary to what many people assume, redheads did not originate in Scandinavia, Scotland or Ireland, but in central Asia. Their coloring is due to a mutation in the MC1R gene that fails to produce sun-protective, skin-darkening eumelanin and instead causes pale skin, freckles and red Hair. 
Racism isn’t just black and white!!

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

Derby players should’ve reacted to Grabban tackle the way theirs did to Morrison’s.

Derby should sue Forest because if Grabban had been sent off Derby could stay up and next year get promoted and then they’d win the European Cup when they won the Premier League.

15 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Contrary to what many people assume, redheads did not originate in Scandinavia, Scotland or Ireland, but in central Asia. Their coloring is due to a mutation in the MC1R gene that fails to produce sun-protective, skin-darkening eumelanin and instead causes pale skin, freckles and red Hair. 

Always good to get lectured on what is and isn’t racism. Just to be clear: what you said was like racism, wasn’t like racism. 

Feel free to reply (not wanting to have the last word and run away) - but probably not the right place for this discussion, so I’ll leave my contributions here. 

Up the Rams!

Edited by Indy

51 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Good point - I well remember the slave ships that used to transport red-haired people from Gingerland to the New World, the extermination camps full of them awaiting forced hair-dying......I could go on, but it's too upsetting.

If it helps you to see it another way ...

Although you refer to genocide and slavery, I do not think that the reason for avoiding racism is as a way to say sorry for slavery. We avoid racism because it is wrong.

So, if you think it is wrong to label someone by their ethnic and facial features if their ancestors have suffered some horrific historical wrong, then it is also wrong to refer to anyone else's facial features.

At worst, you sound racist - at best, that you did not realise that ginger hair is linked to ethnicity - but I doubt that you intended to cause anyone any offence.

PS. Many of us might say, "Ginger" this or that when we're emotional. But if someone points out that it sounds racist, then it might be better to just apologise than double down with sarcasm.

Edited by Ken Tram

14 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Oh no. I’ve never really had a problem at all with people with ginger or red haired people but you now telling me they might be of Asian heritage puts a completely different slant on the matter. 

55 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Good point - I well remember the slave ships that used to transport red-haired people from Gingerland to the New World, the extermination camps full of them awaiting forced hair-dying......I could go on, but it's too upsetting.

Showing up your ignorance ?

15 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

If it helps you to see it another way ...

Although you refer to genocide and slavery, I do not think that the reason for avoiding racism is as a way to say sorry for slavery. We avoid racism because it is wrong.

So, if you think it is wrong to label someone by their ethnic and facial features if their ancestors have suffered some horrific historical wrong, then it is also wrong to refer to anyone else's facial features.

At worst, you sound racist - at best, that you did not realise that ginger hair is linked to ethnicity - but I doubt that you intended to cause anyone any offence.

PS. Many of us might say, "Ginger" this or that when we're emotional. But if someone points out that it sounds racist, then it might be better to just apologise than double down with sarcasm.

So we're now at a stage where any slight on a person or persons hair colour is sean as derogatory.

But the original complainant freely posted the word GUMP/S at fellow fans in Nottingham

GUMP

: a foolish or dull-witted person

Is this allowed or was that seen as derogatory...asking for a friend.