Best Derby goal

KirkIreton

On 11/12/2021 at 21:57, KirkIreton said:

I have two a) Roger Davies v Leeds ( yes I was in the Normanton stand and saw it going in) b) Jack Marriott v Leeds.

The Leeds thread is no coincidence 

I know I'm not the first to say it but

Wanchope vs the PL champions

That, the palace promotion game and the 98 world cup final have to be up there with my best live football experiences

I was on the Popside almost level with Charlie George when he scored his famous goal against Real Madrid and I can’t still remember the stunned silence before the cheering started. His goal in the return leg was even better. The best Derby goal I saw was in a reserve game in the late 1970s. It was a volley from a corner at the Normanton End and a bit further out than the goal in the link below. 

It was even better than that goal. The scorer was Steve Ketteridge. It’s a pity there weren’t many there to witness it. When Grealish scored a similar goal a few years ago I asked someone who’d played a handful of games in the Premier Division - not for Derby - if he had ever scored a goal like that and he replied not in a game but he’d scored many like that during training. Perhaps he was right but I spent a lot of time at Sinfin Lane in the 1960s watching training and  practice games and I can't remember any spectacular goals. Maybe standards have improved.

For us wizzened old gits surely Dave Mackay's superb volley at the Ossie end to bring the score back to 1-1 in that epic League Cup match against Chelsea in 1968 must be up there.

I always said I wanted my ashes scattered from where he hit that ball.  I only hope the current residents don't mind a pile of burnt human remains in their front room!

Still the best game I've ever seen in 60 years of watching football and I was only 15 years old then.

Where has it all gone?

Edited by Bill Curry

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Shameless plug but one summer when I was off from uni I made a compilation of some of our team goals under Clough, McClaren, Clement and Wassall. Not watched it in a while myself, enjoy.

I remember this one. Stunning.