Millwall (A) Matchday Thread

ThePrisoner

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Nathan Byrne has become a liability but in no way was that a yellow card. The first one was so soft as well. The officiating against us this season has been that poor it does raise the question of some sort of agenda.

A decent point considering the circumstances.

Sam Baldock shows plenty of energy up top, but he really isn’t very good. Some woeful shooting and heavy first touches. 

I’m amazed Tom Lawrence made the right decision. I thought he had a good game alongside Knight, Bird, Shinne and Ebosele. We definitely deserved something. 

Just like people remember where there were when JFK and Elvis died I still remember being in the away end at the Peninsula Stadium when Baldock was through on goal and attempted a backwards pass.....

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just like people remember where there were when JFK and Elvis died I still remember being in the away end at the Peninsula Stadium when Baldock was through on goal and attempted a backwards pass.....

There is a lad in the under 23s who got a hattrick last night......

Another good point. It's a shame we have really poor attacking options. Our biggest on field issue since Cocu was appointed. The defence will leak the odd goal in, they've not been great the last 3 games but that's the same with the vast majority of the teams in the league. We've still got a good defensive record. Our finishing is awful. We've done much better at creating chances this season, we just don't have a Bobby Davison or Chris Martin type striker to put them efforts away. 

CKR did us proud last season, he's nearing the end of his career. Baldock is okay, never made a dint in this league though. He is a league one striker. Hopefully if we can hang in there until January, a striking option will be available but it'll be tough considering January is notorious for clubs asking silly money for average players, which has burnt us in the past.

7 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Yes, but when he starts, it isn’t alongside Richards. Its usually on the wing, and we don’t give him the ball.

Fair comment

i would like to see him in behind richards instead of morrison as u know sibley will more likely stay higher up unlike morrison who drops deeper and ends up being a third deep lying mid and leaves us with an isolated front man 

one thing i do wonder is if ckr despite being our best forward is actually not much of a fit as to how rooney would ideally like to play

By brining in baldock and trying to use lawrence up there in his absence it suggests to me rooney would like a runner who can stretch the pitch vertically for us. Which would in turn give lawrence and co more space to operate in.

having an immobile front man who can make it stick but cant run in beyond means the opposition can squeeze our space and stifle our “creative” ( use that word loosly) players and we become a bit easy to play against as we have no out ball

I’m happy with that performance and particularly with the fact that after weeks of looking problematic, the midfield of Bird, Shinnie and Knight looked really good and much better balanced.

It wasn’t quite how I would have played it but fair play to Rooney for finally finding his best midfield!

Lawrence did well too and the central role suits him much better.

As usual the defence were good baring the lapse.

Baldock as I mentioned had a very mixed game. 

Looks much more positive, players willing to move knowing they might actually get the ball. Let’s build on this!

3 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

CKR did us proud last season, he's nearing the end of his career. Baldock is okay, never made a dint in this league though. He is a league one striker. Hopefully if we can hang in there until January, a striking option will be available but it'll be tough considering January is notorious for clubs asking silly money for average players, which has burnt us in the past.

I agree that a striker is our major requirement, but i assume we'll still be under emargo in January so it wont really matter. Just take as many points deductions as possible this year and start fresh next season in league 1.

Just now, Mick Brolly said:

Or try to stay up.

The only way that is going to happen is if we're able to sign a striker, which i very much doubt we'll be able to do. 

If we get this second points deduction we definitely wont and i'd rather get it this season rather than start next year with a points deduction as well.

32 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Was there any evidence of one of their players possibly being concussed though? Having treatment?

If not it seems rather open to abuse.

The guy that went into the challenge with Buchanan and clobbered him, he went off later for the extra sub.

Do the BBC actually send a reporter to the games?

'The Rams had won on their two previous visits to The Den and despite being without Ravel Morrison because of suspension, they gave as good as they got in the first 45 minutes.'

Gave as good as we got ????  We dominated pretty much the entire half..

Edited by Yani P

Couldn’t get to this one so can only comment on what I heard on Radio Derby although saw both goals on Twitter. Good point away at Millwall especially after going down to 10 men. Shame it wasn’t better as the goal could of been avoided (again)

26 minutes ago, Yani P said:

They said at the time he failed the onfield concussion test - still seems strange that allows a 4th sub..I mean if you have a leg broken you are not coming back on but you dont get an extra sub for it and it wasnt after they had already made 3 subs

It’s so that players with concussion go off the pitch and get treated - there have been a number of players that have carried on playing and been diagnosed with concussion in the days following the injury. Concussion can kill…..

Ive said it in other threads, but we do play better without CKR in the side, not a criticism of CKR but we just dont seem to play as free flowing we seem to revert to try and lump it up to him. I would also say we looked so much better today without Morrison in the side...incisive quick passing that has been missing recently..

Edited by Yani P

7 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I’m happy with that performance and particularly with the fact that after weeks of looking problematic, the midfield of Bird, Shinnie and Knight looked really good and much better balanced.

It wasn’t quite how I would have played it but fair play to Rooney for finally finding his best midfield!

Lawrence did well too and the central role suits him much better.

As usual the defence were good baring the lapse.

Baldock as I mentioned had a very mixed game. 

Looks much more positive, players willing to move knowing they might actually get the ball. Let’s build on this!

How many games have we had Shinnie Knight and Bird have not played many games together this season, and I wouldn't say they are problematic playing together.