Millwall (A) Matchday Thread

ThePrisoner

38 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Law of averages we just can’t keep getting shafted by officials every week and it’s not just the big decisions in the game it’s the little fouls the opposition get then 30 secs later the same kind of foul on our players and the Refs wave play on. It can’t just be poor officials as these things would even out and they’re clearly not.

This analogy of "these things will even themselves out" has baffled me for decades...they don't, The better teams appear to get the calls, Home advantage is a big sway in a lot of games, The ones who are at the other end of the table get the rough end of the stick.

11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The law of averages isn't an actual law so there is no increased likelihood that if we perceive that we have been shafted by refereeing decisions in the first half of the season then for the second half we will get more favourable decisions likewise. 

This though should not reinforce the theory of bias against the club and for reference the referees are not employed by the EFL.

EFL FA they all drink out the same trough.

27 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This analogy of "these things will even themselves out" has baffled me for decades...they don't, The better teams appear to get the calls, Home advantage is a big sway in a lot of games, The ones who are at the other end of the table get the rough end of the stick.

I think Coventry and Fulham plus Bournemouth have all been to the school of I am going to fall over at ANY contact whatsoever and they are being rewarded for it and it’s very sad to see week in week out - we are getting nothing because all the press we have received is negative and that seriously impacts the judgements made by officials ( who are employed by the FA not the EFL) 

when we make a slight foul it’s an instant yellow card whereas our centre half’s are walking of the pitch every week with blood pouring from head wounds from elbows/ arms etc and some of our opponents have got away with some dreadful stuff 

went yesterday , with Millwall trying every underhand tactic in the book our boys stood firm , proud of the lads , Shinnie , Davies and Lawrence led from the front , excellent performances from all 3 , the youthful enthusiasm from Knight and Festy caused the lions problems all afternoon and what a pair of bankers Malone and Bennett are

47 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Home advantage at pride park doesn’t hold much sway with officials ?

Having had time to reflect...

The big 'plus point' of this game was the midfield. I think we may have found the right blend with Knight, Bird and Shinnie. On top of that, Lawrence was decent and Festy was very effective when he got one-on-one with his full-back. We are just a 2/3 signings away (and a returning Bielik) from having a decent first eleven... I just hope a takeover gets done before we get to the stage where we have to sell who we can for what we can just to keep the club going.

13 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

That was a stonking performance from the Rams today. I know people are critical of us for our lack of results, and our alleged lack of quality, but given the circumstances, and the squad we've been left with we did well, and should have won the match today.

And for probably the first time this season the reason we didn't get a penalty is that there weren't any penalty incidents to shout about. I actually thought that the ref was absolutely even-handed and fair ----- and then he blew the whistle.

It is very interesting that he was very quick with the card for Byrne for what was a clash of bodies rather than a foul. Perhaps the Millwall player made a bit of a meal of it. More on that later. But earlier Wallace pulled Ebosele back when he would have been clean away, but no card. How he stayed on the pitch I have no idea, because he committed about 6 or 7 yellow card offences, most of which not even warranting a free kick. It has happened in just about every match against Derby, and he never, ever gets a yellow card. Millwall should have been down to 10 men way before half time. Unless it is the fact that there are two Wallaces playing for Millwall, and they are both dirty 0ytnvod**£"@@'s. On numerous occasions a high ball forward by Derby would result in the Derby player jumping for the ball, and just after take-off he would be shoved in the back making him lurch forwards and jump under the ball, allowing an easy Millwall clearance. This kept happening right in front of the ref time and time and time again, with nothing every given. What's wrong with the man in the middle? And he was totally conned by Bennett again for the sending off. All Byrne did was run across his path to put him off his stride. If Bennett has simply jinked to his right he would have been clean away, but dived in totally the wrong direction and then urged the ref to get his cards out. The ref simply couldn't wait to oblige, in contrast to his treatment of Millwall offenders, where he simply wouldn't get his cards out at all. It is telling that Millwall players were congratulating Bennett for getting his opponent sent off, almost as if that was his intention all along - hence making a meal of the offence for the first booking.

And to the match: despite the claims of lack of quality, there was a large amount of great passing, with very few occasions of being sloppy with the ball. Some of our link up play was really good, and with just a bit of luck we could have got the second goal we needed so much. I though "Here we go again" with Baldock in the first 15 minutes when, although running around a lot, wasted several good moves. He got better, and managed a number of shots on target, a huge improvement. A bit of confidence and he will find the net. However, as Roy Mac5 said, Stretton is scoring for fun, yet he didn't even make the squad - somewhat curious when we are struggling to score goals. 

Yet again Max Bird excelled, and has regained that ability to step into space to receive the ball, and always wants to go forwards - such a contrast to earlier in the season, and to much of last season as well. Brilliant, Max. I was thinking of him for man of the match, but that has to go to Ebosele, for his bets performance to date The only thing he did wrong was during that end to end run in the second half, when he ended up running the ball out of play. He should have bent his run in front of the defender to draw the foul, and timed right it would have happened inside the box, then we would have got our blatant penalty shout turned down! We have got standards to maintain, after all! And he went to left back after Byrne went off, and did well there as well. A superb performance. Jason Night put a hefty shift in as well, and again, only one thing wrong really - he shot when through on goal should have been a couple of feet higher so the keeper's leg couldn't block the shot.

Sadly, something I mentioned before struck again - our total inability to mark wide players, so they are always in acres of space, and we then have to race across the pitch to try and close them down, by which time the damage is done. I don't think it is zonal marking  because nobody is marking the zone that the winger is in. It simply that we seem to pull our fullbacks in towards the middle of the park to condense things there. But it leaves to door wide open for wingers and full backs to exploit.

After Wednesday night this performance was a tremendous reaction, and to be the team threatening to score after going down to ten men was a terrific sight for the fans. We need some luck, and although people say that you make your own luck, we are busting a gut but the shelves are empty at the luck shop. It is also said that when you are under the cosh, Lady Luck smiles but turns away. The number of times we block a shot and the ball falls to the feet of another striker for a simple tap in, yet for us several times today we'd have a shot blocked and the ball just would fall near a Rams player.

There is still hope because these players are capable of more, and we are due some decisions going our way, and a few luck bounces as well. Watch out, whoever it happens against!

Good summary.

Its important to point out that the ref wasn't poor as such, he blatantly cheated, it not like his decisions were due to innocent incompetence, it was 100% pure cheating, there is no other way of describing it.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I think Coventry and Fulham plus Bournemouth have all been to the school of I am going to fall over at ANY contact whatsoever and they are being rewarded for it and it’s very sad to see week in week out - we are getting nothing because all the press we have received is negative and that seriously impacts the judgements made by officials ( who are employed by the FA not the EFL) 

when we make a slight foul it’s an instant yellow card whereas our centre half’s are walking of the pitch every week with blood pouring from head wounds from elbows/ arms etc and some of our opponents have got away with some dreadful stuff 

I’m not sure.

You may well be right, I don’t have any evidence to support either way, but I do wonder some times if we’re just suffering from a persecution complex.

47 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Good summary.

Its important to point out that the ref wasn't poor as such, he blatantly cheated, it not like his decisions were due to innocent incompetence, it was 100% pure cheating, there is no other way of describing it.

So how come Robinson didn't see the "cheating", Please don't tell me he was unsited, We've watched it 100 times on TV, The Linesman should have seen it, Byrne didn't break stride, Bennett clips Byrne and falls, Cheating...Took Advantage of, Call it what you will, He's the man in the middle and didn't see what others did, Shinney with pointing an accusing finger at Bennett new the what happened.

image.png.28e76ad132db36837b3b14ef9305e985.png

5 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

So how come Robinson didn't see the "cheating", Please don't tell me he was unsited, We've watched it 100 times on TV, The Linesman should have seen it, Byrne didn't break stride, Bennett clips Byrne and falls, Cheating...Took Advantage of, Call it what you will, He's the man in the middle and didn't see what others did, Shinney with pointing an accusing finger at Bennett new the what happened.

image.png.28e76ad132db36837b3b14ef9305e985.png

Great photo! 

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Good summary.

Even the Millwall fans weren’t that angry. Let’s face it they thought it was a bad challenge, they more than anyone would have been screaming blue murder. Some are even smirking. 

FE8CBF99-7C6E-4FA5-B790-DB8D7E55B867.jpeg

Just now, Rambam said:

Even the Millwall fans weren’t that angry. Let’s face it they thought it was a bad challenge, they more than anyone would have been screaming blue murder. Some are even smirking. 

FE8CBF99-7C6E-4FA5-B790-DB8D7E55B867.jpeg

Good to see that pair of grifters behaving well. Why didn't the ref book THEM too?

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m not sure.

You may well be right, I don’t have any evidence to support either way, but I do wonder some times if we’re just suffering from a persecution complex.

Persistent inconsistent decision making by the officials on the pitch every week then ?