Millwall (A) Matchday Thread

ThePrisoner

In defence of Byrne, consider what he (and the left FB) is being asked to do. Push high, high up the pitch. Now that's ok if you have natural cover, but difficult if you have no cover (or 2 ageing CBs) and you're expected to get back and defend in the way a traditional right back would.

I think the role might be easier if the defending part of his game (which includes that sixth sense of positioning) was more natural than the attacking part, but it isn't, so he's he's naturally having to do the harder part of his game from a starting position that makes it even harder. 

Yes he's not been in the same form as he was last season but he's been asked to do something very different that doesn't suit his natural abilities regards the defending element. He'd probably be better as a wing back but asking him to defend solidly from a starting position of running back towards his goal is a tough ask.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

In defence of Byrne, consider what he (and the left FB) is being asked to do. Push high, high up the pitch. Now that's ok if you have natural cover, but difficult if you have no cover (or 2 ageing CBs) and you're expected to get back and defend in the way a traditional right back would.

I think the role might be easier if the defending part of his game (which includes that sixth sense of positioning) was more natural than the attacking part, but it isn't, so he's he's naturally having to do the harder part of his game from a starting position that makes it even harder. 

Yes he's not been in the same form as he was last season but he's been asked to do something very different that doesn't suit his natural abilities regards the defending element. He'd probably be better as a wing back but asking him to defend solidly from a starting position of running back towards his goal is a tough ask.

It certainly is a tough ask and the position requires far greater athleticism than it did a few years ago (he is very athletic). My own I suppose dissatisfaction with the performance of Byrne is purely from what I see as his lack of awareness of what is happening on his side, his slow reactions and him being vertically challenged is a problem for us against bigger more physical teams, as most seem to be in the Championship. I think we were more secure with Wisdom in that position despite his own occasional lapses.

4 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Whilst I sort of agree my main issue with Byrne this season is that I don't think he's been making the most of the attacking license he's been given. To be frank he can be pretty wasteful, predictable and all round not really carrying the amount of threat you want for the amount of attacking freedom he's being given. It's why I largely think that if we are going to persist with something similar to the current tactical setup we should be thinking of starting Ebosele there.

28 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst I sort of agree my main issue with Byrne this season is that I don't think he's been making the most of the attacking license he's been given. To be frank he can be pretty wasteful, predictable and all round not really carrying the amount of threat you want for the amount of attacking freedom he's being given. It's why I largely think that if we are going to persist with something similar to the current tactical setup we should be thinking of starting Ebosele there.

In fairness to Byrne, I think that his license to attack has been revoked, I've count of the number of times he's made runs in space, down the wing, only to be ignored or to have a ball played to feet, rather than for him to run on to. I think Joziak suffers from the same lack of service when playing out wide on the right.

57 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

My main issue is that he too often fails to track his man in and around the box, letting him get in behind in acres of space.

6 hours ago, bcnram said:

It certainly is a tough ask and the position requires far greater athleticism than it did a few years ago (he is very athletic). My own I suppose dissatisfaction with the performance of Byrne is purely from what I see as his lack of awareness of what is happening on his side, his slow reactions and him being vertically challenged is a problem for us against bigger more physical teams, as most seem to be in the Championship. I think we were more secure with Wisdom in that position despite his own occasional lapses.

Yes I wonder if he's been given too much to think about. Perhaps he just needs to concentrate on one thing or the other. Wisdom was better at defending because he was a defender at heart - he never really wanted to get forward. Byrne you sense is quite happy getting forward, but at the cost of the things that you mention. 

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My main issue is that he too often fails to track his man in and around the box, letting him get in behind in acres of space.

Whilst I agree it feeds into the general point I'm trying to make that his attacking output isn't compensating for his deficiencies defensively currently. 

Part of me has seriously thought for a while that we'd be much better off giving Ebosele a serious run there. Especially if we persist with the current tactical structure.