Panic buying

Gritstone Ram

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

good job we're not an isolated island nation who chose to decouple from a large trading bloc of countries then....oh

I know imagine a nation choosing that as an option ?

31 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Strange because my colleagues in Poland, Germany (north east) and Italy are all saying there are shortages of some essentials, not wholesale empty shelves but not the usual amount and things missing. To be honest I’m not seeing empty shelves here though, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Marks all seem to have what we usually buy. Maybe it’s a regional thing. However working in a global supply chain I can categorically say there is a world wide freight shortage and disruption in both land and sea distribution (and it’s going to get worse as we head to 1st Christmas then Chinese New Year) 

The shipping lines are killing us. Price fixing and getting away with it. 
The global supply chains are a mess. 40 odd vessels outside Long Beach waiting to unload.  Equipment in the wrong place as well. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

My friends in Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland and Spain report no major shortages of anything so far - certainly not fuel or foodstuffs. It looks as though FOMO is very much a British disease.

On the plus side, Sainsbury's had Tripel Karmeliet today. There were also no queues for fuel.

However, there was no fresh chicken in Morrisons, and the only frozen chicken was bloody drumsticks.

How many supermarkets do you go to or would it be easier to say the ones you don’t visit?

31 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

The shipping lines are killing us. Price fixing and getting away with it. 
The global supply chains are a mess. 40 odd vessels outside Long Beach waiting to unload.  Equipment in the wrong place as well. 

Yep, gone from $1500/20ft to container to $13000 from the start of the year  on our main routes. Lack of containers, Suez and China’s zero Covid policy closing ports (Yantian and Ningbo) it’s a nightmare. 

33 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Yep, gone from $1500/20ft to container to $13000 from the start of the year  on our main routes. Lack of containers, Suez and China’s zero Covid policy closing ports (Yantian and Ningbo) it’s a nightmare. 

We’re in the same game. 

25 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

How many supermarkets do you go to or would it be easier to say the ones you don’t visit?

We usually do two supermarket shops a week.

Friday is usually Tesco, Long Eaton. No skimmed or semi-skimmed milk there last Friday, so I popped over to Aldi, which is next door. This is pretty much a one-off (yeah, right - expect mayhem in the run-up to Christmas).

Monday is usually Morrison's, Derby. They don't stock Scotch Bonnet chillies and they didn't have any Pak Choi or Choi Sum today and I plan to make a stir-fry tomorrow, so I stopped at Sainsbury's, Pride Park on my way home to pick some up.

I go to Lidl when they have the Van Steenberge beer boxes (about twice a year) - or next Friday when they have 75cl bottles of Leffe Brune for £2.50 (a quid cheaper than Tesco).

Waitrose is a bit out of my price range, and Asda sucks balls.

It's worth mentioning that I'm a pensioner, therefore I don't have any time pressure - I have all the time in the world to search out the lower prices. I might spend an hour or so beforehand checking prices of the products we may want the following week on the supermarket websites, then decide what we will get from where (spreadsheets are your friend).

I like efficiency. The more money I save on food, the more I can spend on beer.

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We usually do two supermarket shops a week.

Friday is usually Tesco, Long Eaton. No skimmed or semi-skimmed milk there last Friday, so I popped over to Aldi, which is next door. This is pretty much a one-off (yeah, right - expect mayhem in the run-up to Christmas).

Monday is usually Morrison's, Derby. They don't stock Scotch Bonnet chillies and they didn't have any Pak Choi or Choi Sum today and I plan to make a stir-fry tomorrow, so I stopped at Sainsbury's, Pride Park on my way home to pick some up.

I go to Lidl when they have the Van Steenberge beer boxes (about twice a year) - or next Friday when they have 75cl bottles of Leffe Brune for £2.50 (a quid cheaper than Tesco).

Waitrose is a bit out of my price range, and Asda sucks balls.

It's worth mentioning that I'm a pensioner, therefore I don't have any time pressure - I have all the time in the world to search out the lower prices. I might spend an hour or so beforehand checking prices of the products we may want the following week on the supermarket websites, then decide what we will get from where (spreadsheets are your friend).

I like efficiency. The more money I save on food, the more I can spend on beer.

Having read that... Thank you, by the way... I've decided I'm going to start shopping at Asda.  I strongly suspect I won't be alone!

Did I mention Thank you, by the way?

Once the army have finished driving petrol tankers around the country. Will they then be kept busy helping out delivering Christmas essentials. I'm sure a few soldiers could utilise their bayonets to butcher the meat needed for the nation's Christmas lunch

Should the government ask if the Royal Navy can help out with the global supply chain. I wonder how many shipping containers could be stacked on to the flight decks of our two aircraft carriers.

11 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Once the army have finished driving petrol tankers around the country. Will they then be kept busy helping out delivering Christmas essentials. I'm sure a few soldiers could utilise their bayonets to butcher the meat needed for the nation's Christmas lunch

Should the government ask if the Royal Navy can help out with the global supply chain. I wonder how many shipping containers could be stacked on to the flight decks of our two aircraft carriers.

Maybe their tanks could be used to squirt petrol at passing cars. Just ensure car petrol cap is open first so no need to queue.

Edited by TimRam

10 hours ago, TimRam said:

Maybe their tanks could be used to squirt petrol at passing cars. Just ensure car petrol cap is open first so no need to queue.

Now we're on a roll for how we can utilise our military personnel. Wouldn't want the RAF to feel left out, so maybe we could use them to help Amazon establish their drone delivery service.

But there again we might not need any extra home deliveries if we follow the advice given in a speech  by a member of parliament this weekend.  He suggested forgetting about supermarkets and their supply chains and nipping down to the local farm to buy our products directly from the farmer.

If I can find a local farm that'll sell me a pig for a good price, anyone know how to butcher it? Hopefully the farmer will kill it or getting it home in the back of the car may be a problem.

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Could we not start a rumour that East Midlands football clubs will soon be going short of supply and that people should buy now?

I like the idea but we'd probably have to narrow it down a bit though, or some billionaire will come in & buy Leicester. Again.

14 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Now we're on a roll for how we can utilise our military personnel. Wouldn't want the RAF to feel left out, so maybe we could use them to help Amazon establish their drone delivery service.

But there again we might not need any extra home deliveries if we follow the advice given in a speech  by a member of parliament this weekend.  He suggested forgetting about supermarkets and their supply chains and nipping down to the local farm to buy our products directly from the farmer.

If I can find a local farm that'll sell me a pig for a good price, anyone know how to butcher it? Hopefully the farmer will kill it or getting it home in the back of the car may be a problem.

It's a great way to learn. I was reading there's a shortage of butchers and the going rate is over £37k per year. You could offer to help the farmer with the messy bit and practice a bit of slicing and dicing. In a few weeks you'll be a dab hand. New career beckons!

16 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I think a "hire a combine harvester" might catch on next year. Cut your own crops.

There might very well be a shortage of many items in the near future, as the global economy is about to take a nosedive.  The debts that have accumulated are becoming unsustainable.

Snicker if you like, but better safe than sorry.  i have begun stocking up on oats, rice, pasta, etc.

Petrol has been scarce in my area for a while now but my local station received a tanker-load last night resulting of course in a queue all the way through the village. Queue aside, I held back going as I still had a quarter of a tank so didn't feel I should deprive those more needy than me.  Head out this morning at just gone 7am and find not only had the station not be drained of fuel (as it had been within hours on it's last delivery 4 days ago) but there were only a couple of cars at the pumps.  I suddenly found myself turning in, completely unplanned and filling up.  Usually I sigh at the thought of having to get petrol, but saddo that I am, I actually felt quite excited and elated at having filled up in the space of a couple of minutes.  Clearly I need to get out more. 

25 minutes ago, ramit said:

There might very well be a shortage of many items in the near future, as the global economy is about to take a nosedive.  The debts that have accumulated are becoming unsustainable.

Snicker if you like, but better safe than sorry.  i have begun stocking up on oats, rice, pasta, etc.

Bit early to start hoarding cereal. I think I will weetabix.