Panic buying

Gritstone Ram

2 hours ago, cstand said:
On 04/10/2021 at 19:33, Stive Pesley said:

good job we're not an isolated island nation who chose to decouple from a large trading bloc of countries then....oh

Yes it’s terrible we are now going to have train British workers and give them better pay and conditions instead of exploiting workers from other countries.

Its Friday GIF

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

I gather from a few news reports, supermarkets that are short of various fresh produce are now resorting to filling these empty shelves with images of fruit and veg.

Anyone got any good recipes for cardboard?

During covid lockdown before the driver problems I was talking to owner of a mini market shop he said he was struggling to get certain products because suppliers were concentrating on best sellers with long shelve life to reduce their overheads so they can still make a profit

If you combine this with everyone now trying to go green as possible I am expecting less choice in the supermarkets to save on plastic and cardboard waste.

Been doing my bit for years buying out of date food which would normally just go to landfill but then again I was brought up not to waste food and say grace before meal times.

4 minutes ago, cstand said:

During covid lockdown before the driver problems I was talking to owner of a mini market shop he said he was struggling to get certain products because suppliers were concentrating on best sellers with long shelve life to reduce their overheads so they can still make a profit

If you combine this with everyone now trying to go green as possible I am expecting less choice in the supermarkets to save on plastic and cardboard waste.

Been doing my bit for years buying out of date food which would normally just go to landfill but then again I was brought up not to waste food and say grace before meal times.

I usually say “Good gracious” when my meals are served!

*checks over shoulder before posting!  ?

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I gather from a few news reports, supermarkets that are short of various fresh produce are now resorting to filling these empty shelves with images of fruit and veg.

Anyone got any good recipes for cardboard?

The future is going to be sustainable vertical farming anyway which will take care of perishable fresh food items in an eco friendly manner. Great news for Derby 4,500 jobs.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.business-live.co.uk/manufacturing/huge-300m-high-tech-food-18710837.amp

There are supermarkets in Europe also starting growing food on their roofs because they are worried about a shortage of drivers and workers in the supply chain but I can’t find the link on EU news.

Yes shortage of drivers and workers not just a UK problem. 

Edited by cstand

5 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I think it's the phrase "give them better pay and conditions" that is doing the heavy lifting here

There was an recent article about Interpol making raids throughout Europe about exploitation of foreign workers because they cannot get local workers anymore.

Most of them was in France being paid pittance picking grapes. 
If I can remember where I saw it on line I will post it.

1 hour ago, cstand said:

The future is going to be sustainable vertical farming anyway which will take care of perishable fresh food items in an eco friendly manner. Great news for Derby 4,500 jobs.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.business-live.co.uk/manufacturing/huge-300m-high-tech-food-18710837.amp

There are supermarkets in Europe also starting growing food on their roofs because they are worried about a shortage of drivers and workers in the supply chain but I can’t find the link on EU news.

That's good to hear. I'm not sure I could stomach a fricassee of cardboard no matter how good the recipe.

1 hour ago, cstand said:

I like the fact that it's all local and reducing freight miles, but I still kind of prefer my crops to have seen a bit of sunshine and rain, vagaries of the British weather or not!

There's nothing better in that respect than growing and harvesting your own. 

2 hours ago, cstand said:

There was an recent article about Interpol making raids throughout Europe about exploitation of foreign workers because they cannot get local workers anymore.

Most of them was in France being paid pittance picking grapes. 
If I can remember where I saw it on line I will post it.

I don't doubt you, I was just questioning whether any of this will lead to better pay and conditions for the "good old British worker" 

Capital has got far too used to cheap labour, and the pay/conditions of it's workers are really the last of its  concerns

Would you be surprised if we have to bail out the private transport firms who can no longer afford to pay what it takes to tempt people into their employ?

12 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I don't doubt you, I was just questioning whether any of this will lead to better pay and conditions for the "good old British worker" 

Capital has got far too used to cheap labour, and the pay/conditions of it's workers are really the last of its  concerns

Would you be surprised if we have to bail out the private transport firms who can no longer afford to pay what it takes to tempt people into their employ?

I imagine that cheap European labour will be replaced by cheap 'international' labour, legal or not.

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Pay and conditions will increase for all HGV drivers in the UK and Europe in the short term but this will accelerate investment into driverless technology will the public accept this technology especially after a autonomous vehicle killed a pedestrian in the US. Maybe seeing machines will be better shares are back to ATH.

https://www.seeingmachines.com

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/uber-halts-autonomous-car-testing-after-fatal-arizona-crash

Edited by cstand

Anyway listen to this guy who works in the industry built up his own business in a short space of time now sponsors QPR shirts. Love his Presentation skills should be on TV

First came across this guy when I was watching this video a few weeks ago. And before any asks I am not a lorry, bus or train spotter honest.

Edited by cstand

Went to Lidl yesterday to panic-buy a couple of  75cl bottles of Leffe Brune to use when making stoofvlees. None in stock. While we were there, I thought I'd pick up a couple of essentials that I know we were short of for yesterday's project (meat samosas - the lamb mince was already defrosting) - frozen peas and fresh ginger. Neither were in stock. So on to Tesco for the main Friday shop. I got the ginger all right but there were no frozen peas in the store. Can't have samosas without peas so I made keema naans instead.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Went to Lidl yesterday to panic-buy a couple of  75cl bottles of Leffe Brune to use when making stoofvlees. None in stock. While we were there, I thought I'd pick up a couple of essentials that I know we were short of for yesterday's project (meat samosas - the lamb mince was already defrosting) - frozen peas and fresh ginger. Neither were in stock. So on to Tesco for the main Friday shop. I got the ginger all right but there were no frozen peas in the store. Can't have samosas without peas so I made keema naans instead.

Tinned peas? (Not mushy, obviously)

Edited by richinspain
Added