Panic buying

Gritstone Ram

On 28/09/2021 at 10:02, BucksRam said:

Filled up on Saturday as I had some 20 miles left in the tank.  Absolute pant stain in front of me literally put about a tenner in his car to fill it up.  It's people like that causing half the problem for those who genuinely need fuel for their livelihoods or in my case getting my Mum to Oxford daily for radiotherapy, a 52 mile round trip so I need the fuel.   And I've now turned on Eco-mode in my car - something I've never done before! 

They could have been running on empty but put just £10 in so that enough was left for others.

Doubtful, but I'm sure there will be some people like that about

46 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Went out at 3.00AM the other morning. Found one active pump across four petrol stations. Same locally this morning. Not seeing a quick end to this despite the claims of returning to normality. Local supermarkets also seem to have less and less food on the shelves even at 6.00AM when freshly re-stocked. Thin end of the wedge I reckon. Still, soon be Christmas eh! 

I'm in the turkey queue already, and there's five idiots in front of me.*

*not really. There's only four.

I always try and fill up with fuel when it’s convenient even if I only need a small amount so always have a full tank of fuel ready for work,holiday,airport etc.  Luckily still working from home so not been caught up in the panic buying

1 hour ago, cstand said:

I always try and fill up with fuel when it’s convenient even if I only need a small amount so always have a full tank of fuel ready for work,holiday,airport etc.  Luckily still working from home so not been caught up in the panic buying

How often do you need to go to the airport unexpectedly though or have surprise holidays? 

I don’t know the full facts or what difference it actually makes but I’m sure I heard/read that running your car on a full tank all the time is  expensive/inefficient due to the extra weight.

36 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

How often do you need to go to the airport unexpectedly though or have surprise holidays? 

I don’t know the full facts or what difference it actually makes but I’m sure I heard/read that running your car on a full tank all the time is  expensive/inefficient due to the extra weight.

I used to average about 24,000 miles a year pre covid, so on my last day at work I would fill up with fuel for my day offs then fill up again before going back to work if required.
A heavier fuel load will cost more in the long run but this can be off set by economical driving, slow to accelerate, slower speed on motorways and I always use my trip computer to check mpg.

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/hypermiling/hypermiling-techniques

Three weeks ago when I came back from holiday I filled up with fuel had about third of a tank even though I am working from home. 

If you do low miles per year then might better to not fill up all the time for better mpg

Edited by cstand

25 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The maths gets quite complicated, and it depends on the car as obviously extra weight has an effect, but factor in an extra trip to the petrol station (assuming it's not on your normal route) and you'd be just as well removing the spare tyre.

Makes a difference but nothing to write home about, when weighed against the convenience/piece of mind/hassle of filling up a full tank offers

Not been anywhere in my car since last Wednesday (22nd). Just been out and my closest garage had fuel at all pumps and no queue (only two other cars in there).

Bleeding expensive tho, about 10p a litre more expensive than last time I used it @ £1.43/litre for diesel.

Just need owd Bozza to insist the retailers go back to showing that as £6.49/gallon and watch peoples heads boil.

It's 10 months since my last MOT - and I've done less than 4,000 miles in that time (which included a trip to Cornwall, one to King's Lynn and two to Blackpool). The remaining miles are shopping, Derbyshire CCC and one round trip to Sheffield for yet another funeral. I do not envy you people needing to tank up for work trips - it must be very stressful.

11 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I see Belgium, France and Germany have empty shelves in their supermarkets. Must be those bloody British lorry drivers ?‍♂️

I am in France many trips to the supermarket no empty shelves, filled up 3 times no queue. Nothing mentionned about things missing in the news apart from empty blighty