Panic buying

Gritstone Ram

There were queues at all of the petrol stations near me so I couldn't be bothered to fill up.  I went to see my Mum and Dad on Sunday morning intending to fill up on the way and there was still a small but doable queue at Sainsburys but a big 'NO DIESEL' sign was also displayed ? 

Our main car is now running on fumes whilst our second car has about 1/4 of a tank.  Thats what you get for not panic buying.

I filled up on the way home from work on Friday afternoon, at Costco.
The queues were out to... and partly blocking... the roundabout on the main drag (not just the mini-roundabout at the Burger King/Costco  entrances).

Truth is, I wondered what the hell was going on.  I needed fuel, (80miles showing on the remaining range).  I'd also been handed the company credit card to do so, but to return the card later, to the boss, so he could fill up over the weekend, again, as was the norm.  

For those reasons, I decided to put up with the queues, and fill to the brim (As we always do, as we get about a bit!). 

I wasn't even aware of any panic buying (I don't listen to the news) until I got home. *

I almost felt ashamed that I'd been a part of it, even if it was unknowingly!  ?

As an aside, how fantastic are those new Ford cap-less fuel fillers?  Ooooh!  Get me!   ? ?

*EDIT:
Obviously I'd guessed by then, due to the queues I'd just endured, but wasn't actually aware of any news!

Edited by Mucker1884

32 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Thing is, like me, I didn’t panic buy from Thursday, fri or Saturday. I went yesterday to fill up ready for working away this week.  
so all the patient buyers now need fuel and are being labelled as panic buying.

I’m starting to panic I’m nearly empty. I may have to work from home tomorrow and Wednesday so I can get to the match. After that I couldn’t give a poo until Saturday but public transport is an option on Saturday but no for a night match.

I've got to drive to Birmingham NEC tomorrow and Thursday for an exhibition (160 mile round trip). I'll be fine for tomorrow but will need some fuel before Thursday, so I'm hoping some degree of sanity has resumed by Wednesday night.

Apparently motoway services are OK, so I should be able to get some, even if it will cost me a kidney at their prices!

For me it's the media and the public that share the blame. Those sodding "Breaking news" banners and clickbait headlines. No excuse for the selfish bar stewards who have been filling up their cars when they wouldn't normally have done so.

28 minutes ago, angieram said:

Surely there will be a surplus of fuel later in the week as everyone's tanks will be full? 

That's when I'll be going.

I presume it will depend on whether the garages have got enough fuel left, as they will have had greater demand than they 'planned' for?

10 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I've got to drive to Birmingham NEC tomorrow and Thursday for an exhibition (160 mile round trip). I'll be fine for tomorrow but will need some fuel before Thursday, so I'm hoping some degree of sanity has resumed by Wednesday night.

Apparently motoway services are OK, so I should be able to get some, even if it will cost me a kidney at their prices!

For me it's the media and the public that share the blame. Those sodding "Breaking news" banners and clickbait headlines. No excuse for the selfish bar stewards who have been filling up their cars when they wouldn't normally have done so.

Me too, but I always get the train to the NEC (and a pint or two breaks up the boredom).

16 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Me too, but I always get the train to the NEC (and a pint or two breaks up the boredom).

Yeah I did look into getting the train but it would add at least an hour to the journey, plus the time for getting to the station at my end.

We're car sharing but seeing as I live furthest away, it makes sense that I drive.

Makes no sense to use the train if your sharing I agree.

I just checked for a cheap fare (its two years since I went to the NEC, when it was £19 return on an advance). No advance fares available, price is over £38 now and that's off-peak! ?

I only want a seat not the whole bloody carriage.

Edited by Grumpy Git

Now I don’t want you all rushing down to Tamworth but, I’ve just been out for my daily walk that today took me to Ventura Park. Both Asda and Sainsbury’s petrol stations (less than 200 yards apart) were busy but no silly queues. Both had tankers making deliveries as well.

Sadly, I didn’t have any Jerry cans with me ?

11 minutes ago, rsmini said:

I  tend to think all this has been created by transport companies across the country. Many obstacles have been put in place for regular drivers to cause this. They want the government to allow them to bring back drivers from the EU on a cheaper wage as it saves them money and keeps shareholders happy 

Although wages have gone up in places like Poland now.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Sadly, I didn’t have any Jerry cans with me ?

My delivery driver yesterday said he'd seen a video of someone filling a plastic bag and putting it into their car boot. Apocryphal I'm sure but it wouldn't surprise me it was true! ?

I’ve seen people fighting over garden furniture and most recently sheds(really)in the last 18 months so nothing surprises me.

We get 2 deliveries a day and 3 Friday,Saturday,Sunday compared to your average station which gets 2 a week.

People without cards offering people with cards money to use their cards at the pumps.

Long queues but no shortages.