Panic buying

Gritstone Ram

2 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I am in France many trips to the supermarket no empty shelves, filled up 3 times no queue. Nothing mentionned about things missing in the news apart from empty blighty

Oh 

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Oh 

Have you actually read it? Wood, toys, semi conductors (for motor industry), wheat, just your average weekly shop ?

All these are global shortages for several reasons, not Brexit, not lorry drivers, not skill shortage.

food and petrol shortages are as far as i am aware very much confined to blighty

8 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Have you actually read it? Wood, toys, semi conductors (for motor industry), wheat, just your average weekly shop ?

All these are global shortages for several reasons, not Brexit, not lorry drivers, not skill shortage.

food and petrol shortages are as far as i am aware very much confined to blighty

oh non monsieur, l'Allemagne, la Belgique et la Pologne sont en difficulté. Je ne dis pas que le Brexit n'est pas une raison pour nous. mais peut-être que finalement les gens ont réalisé leur valeur

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

So nothing to do with our problems, which are almost entirely due to one decision.

Amazingly enough, there is a simple solution.

And the one most stupid decision ever in history imo. 

9 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Google translate?

if not, good effort!

No not google translate, I’m bit of a language geek (I just can’t spell) 

20 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Not been anywhere in my car since last Wednesday (22nd). Just been out and my closest garage had fuel at all pumps and no queue (only two other cars in there).

Bleeding expensive tho, about 10p a litre more expensive than last time I used it @ £1.43/litre for diesel.

Just need owd Bozza to insist the retailers go back to showing that as £6.49/gallon and watch peoples heads boil.

I remember when I was a kid, looking at petrol stations signs thinking ‘why have they got 3 figures, it’s no where near 100p a litre, surely it will never get that expensive, so why not save space in the sign.’ So when I saw diesel go above a pound, that was a bit of a watershed moment for me. 

like in my head a twix is still 25p, and when a chomp became more than 10p I knew we were in the end times. 

9 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I remember when I was a kid, looking at petrol stations signs thinking ‘why have they got 3 figures, it’s no where near 100p a litre, surely it will never get that expensive, so why not save space in the sign.’ So when I saw diesel go above a pound, that was a bit of a watershed moment for me. 

like in my head a twix is still 25p, and when a chomp became more than 10p I knew we were in the end times. 

I'm impressed. There can't be many kids who even notice the petrol price signs. ?

Have I broken the rules, and become a panic buyer?

Left work Friday, heading to Morrisons with no consideration to, nor intention of, buying fuel.  I'd got a good 300+ miles on the range, and with only a planned trip to Blythe (return) today (Non-essential but eagerly awaited first family lunch since lockdown 1), and Chad to Ascot Drive x 5 returns for this coming weeks commutes to the office.

By pure coincidence, the fuel tanker literally followed me in to Morrisons.  The fuel station was coned off, and a snake of cars (c. 40 or so?) were queueing through the car park.  I ignored it all, safe in the knowledge I didn't need fuel.
40 or so mins later, shopping complete, I returned to my car, still with the intention of driving straight out.  However, as I went to do so, I noticed the fuel station had re-opened, and any queuing cars were minimal, all within the fuel station boundary.  No different to a normal Friday afternoon at Morrisons fuel station.

My car appeared to veer in, as if on auto-pilot, and as I approached 1 x waiting car in an aisle, the car ahead moved off, and with that, I gained immediate access to a pump.  Literally no queueing!

No idea if there was any limit (I've seen reference to £30?), but didn't notice any signs inferring such.  I topped up fully... to the max... It took £26 something.  (It's a big 7 seater mpv... Ford Galaxy). 

OK, It's looking likely that we'll be heading to North Wales on Friday, and returning Sunday (Non-Essential Camping trip).  OK, I won't now need to fill up again this coming Friday, as I would normally, before heading away on such a trip.  But still... I filled up when I didn't need to... or certainly BEFORE I needed to!
For the record, normal habit is to fill to the brim, but only once the tank is around a quarter or less, or I have less than 100miles or so on the range, (The fuel light initially comes on at 80mile range anyway, from memory?) so a normal input is anywhere between £60 - £75 ish.

It was all very calm and relaxing.  I didn't feel like I was panicking in the slightest!   

Panic buyer or not?  You decide!   ?

Edited by Mucker1884

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Left work Friday, heading to Morrisons with no consideration to, nor intention of, buying fuel.  I'd got a good 300+ miles on the range, and with only a planned trip to Repton (return) today, and Chad to Ascot Drive x 5 returns for this coming weeks commutes to the office.

By pure coincidence, the fuel tanker literally followed me in to Morrisons.  The fuel station was coned off, and a snake of cars (c. 40 or so?) were queueing through the car park.  I ignored it all, safe in the knowledge I didn't need fuel.
40 or so mins later, shopping complete, I returned to my car, still with the intention of driving straight out.  However, as I went to do so, I noticed the fuel station had re-opened, and any queuing cars were minimal, all within the fuel station boundary.  No different to a normal Friday afternoon at Morrisons fuel station.

My car appeared to veer in, as if on auto-pilot, and as I approached 1 x waiting car in an aisle, the car ahead moved off, and with that, I gained immediate access to a pump.  Literally no queueing!

No idea if there was any limit (I've seen reference to £30?), but didn't notice any signs inferring such.  I topped up fully... to the max... It took £26 something.  (It's a big 7 seater mpv... Ford Galaxy). 

OK, It's looking likely that we'll be heading to North Wales on Friday, and returning Sunday.  OK, I won't now need to fill up again this coming Friday, as I would normally, before heading away on such a trip.  But still... I filled up when I didn't need to... or certainly BEFORE I needed to!
For the record, normal habit is to fill to the brim, but only once the tank is around a quarter or less, or I have less than 100miles or so on the range, so a normal input is anywhere between £60 - £70 ish.

9ABE07B8-3F15-42BE-BCF4-E5298EF8BF3A.jpeg

6 minutes ago, richinspain said:

9ABE07B8-3F15-42BE-BCF4-E5298EF8BF3A.jpeg

I see what you did there...

Fit & strong as hell.  Tough enough not to be messed with.  But with enough sensitivity to not be afraid to wear a skirt. 

Sums me up perfectly! 

Well done... and thankyou for not being abusive.   ?

Oh... erm... wait... 

46 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Left work Friday, heading to Morrisons with no consideration to, nor intention of, buying fuel.  I'd got a good 300+ miles on the range, and with only a planned trip to Blythe (return) today (Non-essential but eagerly awaited first family lunch since lockdown 1), and Chad to Ascot Drive x 5 returns for this coming weeks commutes to the office.

OK, It's looking likely that we'll be heading to North Wales on Friday, and returning Sunday (Non-Essential Camping trip).  OK, I won't now need to fill up again this coming Friday, as I would normally, before heading away on such a trip.  But still... I filled up when I didn't need to... or certainly BEFORE I needed to!
For the record, normal habit is to fill to the brim, but only once the tank is around a quarter or less, or I have less than 100miles or so on the range, (The fuel light initially comes on at 80mile range anyway, from memory?) so a normal input is anywhere between £60 - £75 ish.

It was all very calm and relaxing.  I didn't feel like I was panicking in the slightest!   

I reckon that’s allowed. If you queued for even a second, I’d call you a panic buying knob. But as it was straight in and out, you’ve caused no one else any particular inconvenience, you’ve not inconvenienced yourself through sheer panic, you’ve just taken an opportunity as you’ve seen it. I’m all in favour of taking opportunities when they present themselves (you can read all about it in my new self help book ‘you should always take opportunities when they present themselves’, it’s a short book.)