Panic buying

Gritstone Ram

I think the situation is a bit more dire than we're being told. I get that panic buying can cause shortages, but surely all that's doing is moving fuel from the forecourts to people's tanks. There comes a point when most people are, instead of driving an average car with half a tank, are driving a car with a mostly full tank. Once we get to that point we steadily get fuel back into the forecourts and we go back to normal. We aren't consuming more fuel than we were previously. It'll take a bit of extra effort to fill up the stations again, but I don't think it would be a major disaster - little bit of inconvenience, but surely that would be short term? Talk of bringing in extra drivers and allowing EU drivers back into the country seems excessive considering we aren't consuming extra fuel. 

8 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Maybe you should have read the article you posted then ?

I did, and there’s more, disruption all over EU with freight distribution (mainly lack of drivers) and sky rocketing freight prices all leading to consumer product shortages. It’s also impacted by a world wide freight problem due to lack of container availability and major ports in China being closed due to Covid. That was my overall point that It’s not just the UK effected, however that said the  panic buying for the Petrol is just us and us being *********. 

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I think the situation is a bit more dire than we're being told. I get that panic buying can cause shortages, but surely all that's doing is moving fuel from the forecourts to people's tanks. There comes a point when most people are, instead of driving an average car with half a tank, are driving a car with a mostly full tank. Once we get to that point we steadily get fuel back into the forecourts and we go back to normal. We aren't consuming more fuel than we were previously. It'll take a bit of extra effort to fill up the stations again, but I don't think it would be a major disaster - little bit of inconvenience, but surely that would be short term? Talk of bringing in extra drivers and allowing EU drivers back into the country seems excessive considering we aren't consuming extra fuel. 

Schemes for getting drivers back into work, or implying drivers are not to do with a fuel shortage. There is a driver shortage, that is a fact. Not just due to brexit, but also because the conditions for drivers are fairly poo and it has been forecast for ages that old drivers will retire, and their are far less younger drivers willing to put uk with the same poo, so a driver shortage was always on the cause. 

that’s why we’re seeing a few (but not apocalyptic levels) less items on the shelves. The ‘fuel shortage’ was based on one or two petrol stations being shut down, because that particular company didn’t have drivers that weekend for a number of reasons (sickness, annual leave etc.) not necessarily because of a ‘driver shortage’. That was reported by the media as petrol stations shutting down because of a lack of drivers, first bog roll, then pasta, fuel to be the next thing to run out, and that started a panic. 

As you rightly say, once everyone has a full tank, everything goes back to normal. It’s been my experience this weekend that the panic is pretty much over. 

One thing I will say about all this though, and this could live here, or in the climate change, or in the energy crisis threads ( @Davidyou need to get onto being able to #posts). 

im kind of glad this is happening. I don’t believe in conspiracy theories, I think this has happened organically. But all those people driving round in electric cars now, or with fully electric, solar panelled houses (that’s me), are now driving round with super smug face saying, ‘I told you so.’ 

this is all a bit earlier than planned, and it is just a temporary blip, but it is definitely a stark view of the future. Fuel will be in short supply, as petrol stations start to shut down, and get replaced by electricity hook ups, only available for classic car enthusiasts, probably with some sort of licence. They’ll be about as easy to find as LPG. Gas and non-green electricity will become increasingly expensive as carbon tariffs are applied. Maybe this has opened a few peoples eyes, and hastened their future purchase of an electric car, or a battery for their attic. 

a bit like how covid is a view of the future (unnecessary ranger alert). Covid m, as pandémica go, could have been a lot worse. This is our dress rehearsal, pandemics are a very real risk in a more populated, connected world. Covid has hopefully opened our eyes to the fact that we are woefully under prepared for even a strong flu, let alone something like smallpox or Ebola.

So hopefully the positive to take away from this is that from all these crises, whatever doesn’t kill us makes us stronger, and we’ll be better prepared next time. 

12 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Have I broken the rules, and become a panic buyer?

Left work Friday, heading to Morrisons with no consideration to, nor intention of, buying fuel.  I'd got a good 300+ miles on the range, and with only a planned trip to Blythe (return) today (Non-essential but eagerly awaited first family lunch since lockdown 1), and Chad to Ascot Drive x 5 returns for this coming weeks commutes to the office.

By pure coincidence, the fuel tanker literally followed me in to Morrisons.  The fuel station was coned off, and a snake of cars (c. 40 or so?) were queueing through the car park.  I ignored it all, safe in the knowledge I didn't need fuel.
40 or so mins later, shopping complete, I returned to my car, still with the intention of driving straight out.  However, as I went to do so, I noticed the fuel station had re-opened, and any queuing cars were minimal, all within the fuel station boundary.  No different to a normal Friday afternoon at Morrisons fuel station.

My car appeared to veer in, as if on auto-pilot, and as I approached 1 x waiting car in an aisle, the car ahead moved off, and with that, I gained immediate access to a pump.  Literally no queueing!

No idea if there was any limit (I've seen reference to £30?), but didn't notice any signs inferring such.  I topped up fully... to the max... It took £26 something.  (It's a big 7 seater mpv... Ford Galaxy). 

OK, It's looking likely that we'll be heading to North Wales on Friday, and returning Sunday (Non-Essential Camping trip).  OK, I won't now need to fill up again this coming Friday, as I would normally, before heading away on such a trip.  But still... I filled up when I didn't need to... or certainly BEFORE I needed to!
For the record, normal habit is to fill to the brim, but only once the tank is around a quarter or less, or I have less than 100miles or so on the range, (The fuel light initially comes on at 80mile range anyway, from memory?) so a normal input is anywhere between £60 - £75 ish.

It was all very calm and relaxing.  I didn't feel like I was panicking in the slightest!   

Panic buyer or not?  You decide!   ?

Scum. ?

45 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I was just mentioning it, because at face value that tweet is incredibly disingenuous.

Sorry about that, I’ll repeat my point further up the post: there is disruption all over EU with freight distribution (mainly lack of drivers) and sky rocketing freight prices all leading to consumer product shortages. It’s also impacted by a world wide freight problem due to lack of container availability and major ports in China being closed due to Covid. That was my overall point that It’s not just the UK effected, however that said the  panic buying for the Petrol is just us and us being *********. 

On 03/10/2021 at 10:46, TexasRam said:

I did, and there’s more, disruption all over EU with freight distribution (mainly lack of drivers) and sky rocketing freight prices all leading to consumer product shortages. It’s also impacted by a world wide freight problem due to lack of container availability and major ports in China being closed due to Covid. That was my overall point that It’s not just the UK effected, however that said the  panic buying for the Petrol is just us and us being *********. 

My friends in Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland and Spain report no major shortages of anything so far - certainly not fuel or foodstuffs. It looks as though FOMO is very much a British disease.

On the plus side, Sainsbury's had Tripel Karmeliet today. There were also no queues for fuel.

However, there was no fresh chicken in Morrisons, and the only frozen chicken was bloody drumsticks.

Edited by Eddie

58 minutes ago, Eddie said:

My friends in Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland and Spain report no major shortages of anything so far - certainly not fuel or foodstuffs. It looks as though FOMO is very much a British disease.

On the plus side, Sainsbury's had Tripel Karmeliet today. There were also no queues for fuel.

However, there was no fresh chicken in Morrisons, and the only frozen chicken was bloody drumsticks.

Strange because my colleagues in Poland, Germany (north east) and Italy are all saying there are shortages of some essentials, not wholesale empty shelves but not the usual amount and things missing. To be honest I’m not seeing empty shelves here though, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Marks all seem to have what we usually buy. Maybe it’s a regional thing. However working in a global supply chain I can categorically say there is a world wide freight shortage and disruption in both land and sea distribution (and it’s going to get worse as we head to 1st Christmas then Chinese New Year) 

30 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We really are a laughing stock.

For those with rusty German like me, "Tag der Einheit" is German Unity Day - a bank holiday for celebrating the reunification of East and West Germany

The Travel Agent is suggesting that people can celebrate by taking a nostalgic trip to the UK so that our empty supermarket shelves can make them relive the "good old days" of East Germany

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

Strange because my colleagues in Poland, Germany (north east) and Italy are all saying there are shortages of some essentials, not wholesale empty shelves but not the usual amount and things missing. To be honest I’m not seeing empty shelves here though, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Marks all seem to have what we usually buy. Maybe it’s a regional thing. However working in a global supply chain I can categorically say there is a world wide freight shortage and disruption in both land and sea distribution (and it’s going to get worse as we head to 1st Christmas then Chinese New Year) 

I'm guessing that some shops are receiving less frequent deliveries of some items. On Friday there was no skimmed or semi-skimmed milk in Long Eaton Tesco, so I nipped in to Aldi next door and there was loads. 

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

However working in a global supply chain I can categorically say there is a world wide freight shortage and disruption in both land and sea distribution

good job we're not an isolated island nation who chose to decouple from a large trading bloc of countries then....oh