Panic buying

Gritstone Ram

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Forgot about David's aversion of turkey. That'll be one less person in the queue, scrambling for that tasty christmas treat.

Coincidentally the wife booked her Chrimbo Ocado slot this morning, adding 2 turkey crowns. Whether they'll actually arrive of course may be another matter. 

So I’ve just received my letter from the department of transport asking me to get involved with the driver shortage, based on my cat C licence. I was expecting that. 

I’ll be getting an email from the army pretty soon too, I expect. 

Im quite tempted to take them up on the offer, if this was mid lock down I’d be all over it. 

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

So I’ve just received my letter from the department of transport asking me to get involved with the driver shortage, based on my cat C licence. I was expecting that. 

I’ll be getting an email from the army pretty soon too, I expect. 

Im quite tempted to take them up on the offer, if this was mid lock down I’d be all over it. 

Tell them £100/hr and a new Scania V8 auto with full leather, aircon and cruise control or you're not interested. ?

2 hours ago, Anon said:

As David will likely confirm in his annual thread, turkey meat is sub par anyway, so people will find their Christmases improved if they're forced to consider eating something nicer.

We have my anti fireworks thread first where me an @TigerTedd will butt heads, then the turkey one will follow shortly after. Wouldn't be Christmas without it.

51 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not sure what's worse... booking a Christmas delivery already or that spelling of "Chrimbo"

Dare I say Chrimbo is actually in the Oxford, Cambridge and Collins dictionaries now....unless of course you're talking Proper Crimbo ?

My wife plans well ahead.....probably 90% of the Christmas (that better?) shopping done already. Usually by the time we hit November, it's all done.  We then watch everyone one else stress whilst we can relax apart from the 2nd weekend of December when I have to put up about a million chuffing lights. 

5 hours ago, rynny said:

And that punishes people like myself, where I'm paid weekly and budgets for £15 a week, and I don't get more petrol until my petrol light comes on.

Have we not learned anything over the last 2 years? 1 rule doesn't fit all.

You are in the minority, therefore you don't count.

Welcome to Wetherspoon-Britannia.

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

What's the next item we'll see the stampede of panic buying for? There's already been a warning that due to the shortage of seasonal workers that there could be a shortage of turkeys and pigs in blankets this christmas. Though I have heard that there's plenty of turkeys available in France. So no problem with getting a turkey then?

So what is the next item we'll be dashing to the shops to buy due to the shortages caused by lack of lorry drivers?

UK car stickers for overseas travel.

Apparently, the government have just realised that GB doesn't include NI.

5 hours ago, 1of4 said:

What's the next item we'll see the stampede of panic buying for? There's already been a warning that due to the shortage of seasonal workers that there could be a shortage of turkeys and pigs in blankets this christmas. Though I have heard that there's plenty of turkeys available in France. So no problem with getting a turkey then?

So what is the next item we'll be dashing to the shops to buy due to the shortages caused by lack of lorry drivers?

I dont know about turkeys but i am in France and there is no panic buying of any sort. Plenty of lorries on the road, no problem whatsoever. Then again 26 nationalities are allowed to drive the lorries, when prices in supermarket go up to reflect the increased transport costs i wonder what Boris will tell the average family struggling to get to the end of the month.

Little Angry went for diesel yesterday, could only put £30 in his gas guzzler. He queued with everyone else, the road was glogged up and chaos followed. He had to travel for work today and £30 would not have covered his journey, so he had to go to another petrol station and queued again, more congestion. Does the £30 limit make things worse? I can see both sides.

Went out at 3.00AM the other morning. Found one active pump across four petrol stations. Same locally this morning. Not seeing a quick end to this despite the claims of returning to normality. Local supermarkets also seem to have less and less food on the shelves even at 6.00AM when freshly re-stocked. Thin end of the wedge I reckon. Still, soon be Christmas eh!