David Marshall - joined QPR

Big Trav

22 hours ago, roboto said:

I don’t think it’s down to add-ons for Wigan as I don’t think a club in administration would be in a position to negotiate that sort of a structure.

I think it’s more down to a personality clash or not being the right sort of character for Rooney. He was first choice before he was “ill” while players weren’t paid in January, then miraculously got better when the payments went through. Could be a coincidence…

Then he dropped a clanger against Forest and said he was too injured to continue and got subbed off. I think it’s been said that Rooney didn’t like subbing him off as it wasted an outfield sub he needed to make, and I’m sure he wouldn’t have said that if Marshall was too injured to actually continue.

Since then Roos has pretty much held down the starting spot. I just don’t think Marshall wants to fight for his spot here and Rooney is willing to let players that don’t care about the shirt leave.

The players were paid one day late.

22 hours ago, roboto said:

I don’t think it’s down to add-ons for Wigan as I don’t think a club in administration would be in a position to negotiate that sort of a structure.

I think it’s more down to a personality clash or not being the right sort of character for Rooney. He was first choice before he was “ill” while players weren’t paid in January, then miraculously got better when the payments went through. Could be a coincidence…

Then he dropped a clanger against Forest and said he was too injured to continue and got subbed off. I think it’s been said that Rooney didn’t like subbing him off as it wasted an outfield sub he needed to make, and I’m sure he wouldn’t have said that if Marshall was too injured to actually continue.

Since then Roos has pretty much held down the starting spot. I just don’t think Marshall wants to fight for his spot here and Rooney is willing to let players that don’t care about the shirt leave.

To be fair to Marshall or any other player they would be well within their rights if they withdrew their services if they weren't paid by the club.

I mean jeez I can't think of a more fundamental right then being paid on time by your employer, it's absolutely shocking that we even got into that situation.

• 4 months later...
Just now, Bobby said:

Having a medical at QPR ahead of a short term deal, Dieng is at AFCON and Archer dislocated his shoulder in a penalty shootout at the weekend.

I know he’s not been playing recently but is he any good?

Started well, lost confidence and went downhill.

Decent Championship level keeper on his day.

I suspect his lack of game time is as much down to finances than ability.

13 minutes ago, Bobby said:

Having a medical at QPR ahead of a short term deal, Dieng is at AFCON and Archer dislocated his shoulder in a penalty shootout at the weekend.

Not sure about his 'keeping these days, but he's pretty quick over 100m

David Marshall Sprint.jpg

35 minutes ago, Bobby said:

Goal keeper for Scotland at the last Euros - yes an excellent signing - we can’t afford his wages of around £12,000 pw reportedly and we may need to pay Wigan more money if he plays more games but we are not sure on that - perfectly capable of being your number one goal keeper. Was never going to be playing this season as we signed a cheaper keeper in Allsop to compete with Roos. 
He also let a dreadful goal in against the Red dogs last season then feigned injury out of embarrassment to be subbed in that game and never forgiven by Rooney hence he’s leaving - very decent keeper though 

Edited by Sparkle

1 hour ago, Bobby said:

He's not one for the future but he is a good short term reliable Championship keeper for a club in your situation. 

Helps us out too, as he isn't in Rooney's plans as he prefers the sweeper keeper role.