Relegation rivals watch

Bris Vegas

1 minute ago, erathirea said:

If someone offered me those results (including ours) before kickoff today I'd have taken it. That's the reality.

The big questions is what do we want in mid-week? My view? Anything but a Reading win. Their confidence is low, the longer that goes on, the better.

Also, *if* we can win next weekend, then if Pbo win in mid week we maintain the 2 point gap to them and a max of 4 points behind Reading (rather than potentially being 7 points behind Reading at this point next week!).

Pluses from today is that we’ve got one of our harder fixtures out of the way. The other teams had easier games on paper and still lost. There will be weeks in the future where we’ll have the easier fixtures. They’re the weeks we have to make ground. On weeks like this making ground would be a bonus, but not losing ground is a good result. 

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Hopefully a nice big fine for not controlling their fans, which might just push them over their spend threshold for the season, and the imposition of the suspended 6 point penalty ?

Really interesting that their manager is surviving after their recent run. Perhaps they simply cannot afford to sack him, and replace him, as again that will cause a problem with their agreed spending plan. I have never liked Reading since I got a proper shoeing at Elm Park in 1984. The fact it was Derby fans that were laying in to me is neither here or there.

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Hopefully a nice big fine for not controlling their fans, which might just push them over their spend threshold for the season, and the imposition of the suspended 6 point penalty ?

Really interesting that their manager is surviving after their recent run. Perhaps they simply cannot afford to sack him, and replace him, as again that will cause a problem with their agreed spending plan. I have never liked Reading since I got a proper shoeing at Elm Park in 1984. The fact it was Derby fans that were laying in to me is neither here or there.

I don’t understand why they don’t just put him on gardening leave and promote the assistant coach or academy coach or someone. They wouldn’t cost them any extra money, and they can’t possibly do a worse job than what the current manager is doing. 

I've just realised Reading have lost their last 8 games. 

Find it hard to believe that they'll not win another game between now and the end of the season which shows how catastrophic our result was yesterday. 

All this take the last ten games then extrapolate that to the end of the season is pure fantasy to determine where teams will end up.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Find it hard to believe that they'll not win another game between now and the end of the season which shows how catastrophic our result was yesterday. 

All this take the last ten games then extrapolate that to the end of the season is pure fantasy to determine where teams will end up.

Yeah im a big believer in regression/progression to the mean and I think Reading are obviously not as bad as losing every game and will progress to their mean much like we’ve regressed since we won 5 out of 6 or whatever it was

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

More catastrophic for them losing a home game me thinks…..

43 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Sorry. You've lost me. Why was our defeat yesterday "catastrophic"? It's not as if it's a game we were expected to win or even draw really.

Any points for Derby yesterday would have been a bonus rather than defeat being a catastrophe.

52 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

More catastrophic for them losing a home game me thinks…..

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Sorry. You've lost me. Why was our defeat yesterday "catastrophic"? It's not as if it's a game we were expected to win or even draw really.

Any points for Derby yesterday would have been a bonus rather than defeat being a catastrophe.

Started off by saying can't believe Reading will lose their next 8 games so we need to start narrowing the gap before we get to that juncture. 

Dunno why everyone thinks like the Forest away and Boro away game yesterday were free hits - another game gone in both instances another opportunity lost to cut the gap. 

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Started off by saying can't believe Reading will lose their next 8 games so we need to start narrowing the gap before we get to that juncture. 

Dunno why everyone thinks like the Forest away and Boro away game yesterday were free hits - another game gone in both instances another opportunity lost to cut the gap. 

Or Reading failed to increase the gap by losing a much easier home game ??

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Or Reading failed to increase the gap by losing a much easier home game ??

Yes but this is my point you can't play out the rest of the season on a piece of paper saying we should win that game but lose that one. Doesn't work like that.

If Reading have more points than us at the end of the season then you can take that piece of paper and flush it down the loo. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Yes but this is my point you can't play out the rest of the season on a piece of paper saying we should win that game but lose that one. Doesn't work like that.

If Reading have more points than us at the end of the season then you can take that piece of paper and flush it down the loo. 

Who is saying that? You seem to be getting upset about us losing away at a top 6 side. My point is Reading had an easier home game. I think the fact that Reading fans invaded the pitch at Reading and chased their players off the pitch speaks volumes. We beat Posh on Saturday and we should be even closer to Reading. Lots of games to go and we are in the hunt. Chill a bit ?

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I agree we need to continue (not start) closing the gap on Reading and they are bound to win a few games before the end of the season. but I suspect you're in the minority if you think maintaining the gap, and not losing anymore ground, wasn't a decent outcome yesterday.

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Who is saying that? You seem to be getting upset about us losing away at a top 6 side. My point is Reading had an easier home game. I think the fact that Reading fans invaded the pitch at Reading and chased their players off the pitch speaks volumes. We beat Posh on Saturday and we should be even closer to Reading. Lots of games to go and we are in the hunt. Chill a bit ?

Sorry just saying Boro might be Top 6 now but doesn't mean they'll be Top 6 at end of the season. Don't think we are in any position to just write off games and say hey ho onto the next one,  not unless we've got an unassailable lead over the bottom 3 clubs anyway. 

I agree that we are still in with a chance but don't think we're in a position to select the games we have a chance of winning and discard the others. Just disappointed that the performance yesterday was so abject and we could have made more ground on teams above us if we'd got anything from the game. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

18 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Sorry just saying Boro might be Top 6 now but doesn't mean they'll be Top 6 at end of the season. Don't think we are in any position to just write off games and say hey ho onto the next one,  not unless we've got an unassailable lead over the bottom 3 clubs anyway. 

I agree that we are still in with a chance but don't think we're in a position to select the games we have a chance of winning and discard the others. Just disappointed that the performance yesterday was so abject and we could have made more ground on teams above us if we'd got anything from the game. 

Well I for one am pretty content that after yesterdays games we are still only 4 points off safety, it could have been 7. Just have to agree to disagree ??