South Stand: Respect

Ellafella

50 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. See Ebosole's comments in his post-match last night ("I love the crowd; they've been so good to me"). Also, see CKR's, Shinnie's and again Ebosole's reactions to the crowd at certain moments last. They were clearly being "lifted" by the crowd and were saying "keep this coming - it's lifting us". We need this to get that bond going; it was very apparent last in the Lampard season and although WR is not as responsive to the Crowd, I am certain that he draws energy and strength from it when he feels it. 

I said this to my mate on Saturday before the game. If we win he need to go right up to the south stand full Lampard style, fist pumping, screaming the lot. Our fans seem to really respond to that kind of thing and it just creates more of a bond between the 2.

Obviously we didn't win but the next opportunity he get's it would be great for him to do that.

1 minute ago, WamRam said:

I said this to my mate on Saturday before the game. If we win he need to go right up to the south stand full Lampard style, fist pumping, screaming the lot. Our fans seem to really respond to that kind of thing and it just creates more of a bond between the 2.

Obviously we didn't win but the next opportunity he get's it would be great for him to do that.

I totally agree. I suspect he won’t though. WR is actually very measured in his overt behaviour which I take as indicative of a very thoughtful and calm interior. 

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And another. #WeAreAllDerby

Not a factor I'd really considered before. Will still gently take the piss out of the West Stand but it's good to be reminded that not everyone is comfortable packed in with a load of sweaty blokes.

Makes me wonder why I'm so comfortable with that actually!

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not a factor I'd really considered before. Will still gently take the piss out of the West Stand but it's good to be reminded that not everyone is comfortable packed in with a load of sweaty blokes.

Lol! Lots of people seem to like it. ?But even the biggest fans of sweaty bodies need a rest - it's what West Stand is for. ? But yeah it was pretty poor to hear about some of our own fans being intimidated by a loud-mouthed inconsiderate Rams fan. 

Edited by RoyMac5

11 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Could be the drink! ? 

Edited by Ellafella

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I was in the south stand for the first time last night with my son and it's a very,very different way of watching the game.

I ended up half deaf and with sore legs from standing throughout!

Good to be there and it's a visceral experience to be sure.

I thought the piss taking of the east and west stands to be in good humour to be fair (and the none existent members of the north stand).

I can definitely see why it's not for everyone and I'll be happy to return to my seat in the East stand from now on but hats off to the regulars there,they make or break the atmosphere in the ground.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

When I'm in the west stand, feel free to pop round and gently take the piss out of me. Show me how much better you are ?

I’ve had season tickets in all 4 stands since we moved to PP……..at various times - and for various reasons…..West Stand was my first place because as i had an older fan I went to the game with.

SW corner with my missus and a couple of our friends was the next stop when that used to be the “singing place” and we loved it.

Next stop, the North Stand because I started to bring my son (who I bought his first season ticket at the age of 3). 

Then back to the SW corner because he said  “Daddy can we sit in the noisy corner” - which meant I had to teach him all the Derby songs with edits for the swearing”…for example “I’d fly over Nottingham Forest and sit on those barstools below”. I got away with it for a season or 2 before he twigged!! And the blokes who sat around us were brilliant with him (one bloke called Gerry was an absolute top class fella he moved behind the goal in the South Stand I think) he used to apologise for the lads for their swearing but I didn’t mind at all because it was my decision to sit there and I didn’t want to ruin their match day experience!! 

Next stop East Stand - because of the reconfiguration of seating……but that bloody sun is just a pain when it shines and you’re squinting to watch the game. So we moved back to the South Stand and enjoyed the increased level of banter again. 

But i also like to get really into the games and get a different perspective from time to time - so we moved back to the West Stand upper and I’ve loved it up there for the last few seasons (pre-lockdown). 

I’m pretty sure I’ll move again at some point - not yet sure what the motivation will b .

BUT……the one constant in all of it - I love Derby County, I love the games and I consider myself no better or worse supporter than anyone else, just because of where I sit - and it’s does annoy me when a small minority give it loads because of where people sit and how they choose to show their support.

Sorry for the ramble!! ??‍♂️

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

South Stand are great. There are others though too, who support how they can. It is upsetting to read of this incident. We all need to pull together. #COYR

We have some light hearted fun on here with regards to stands, however the above incident is a bit weird. In fact it’s not just weird it’s wrong.

Pride Park isn’t unique in that we have a stand which generates the atmosphere, a family stand, one for older fans and one that’s a bit of a mix.

Not every fan will want to stand for 90 minutes, bouncing even in the concourses, the same as one won’t want to sit in silence.

Just like pubs, even forums, you find one where you feel comfortable and should be allowed to enjoy what they prefer.

I’d maybe think about reporting the incident, just so the club are aware, sounds like someone that could be potentially abusive where they can look out for.

Some will say grass, but no fan shouldn’t feel uncomfortable to the point where they may no longer attend, regardless of age or how they choose to show their support.

Used to be in the SE Corner, with a mate, second row from the back, up against the netting, so effectively as close to the away fans as you could get... at and around the Southampton PO win and "The season that followed!).  In my 40's, and still as gobby as when we were failing to be back in '81!  A few good seasons in that corner, and thoroughly enjoyed reliving my youth!*

Then came the time to start bullying and cajoling my grandson into becoming a Ram... so help me God... so I thought probably best to move from there, what with the permanent standing, permanent industrial language, pushing and shoving etc.

This would now have been around 2012ish, so if I wasn't yet 50, I was damn close!
I moved to the genteel edges of the family stand, in the NE Corner, and added a freebie under-12's ST to that of my own.  I wasn't particularly keen on the atmosphere, but hey, grandson, remember!
At some stage during that first season there, grandson couldn't make the Forest game, so Muckerette joined me instead (So no kids under my charge).  I swore, I stood, I sang.  I got told off... politely and maturely I might add... by the guy directly in front of me, who did indeed have charge of a junior.  I swore some more.  I urged him to get some effing passion (considering who the opposition were), then swore some more.  How dare he tell me how to behave.  Bring your kids at your own risk, I ranted.  It's an effing football ground!

... By half time, I grew up!
Ashamed and embarrassed by my earlier "Yobbishness", on my early return to seat, prior to the second half, I offered eye to eye contact, a true and genuine apology (both to the guy and the young pre-teen girl in his charge), and a hand shake. 
Thankfully he accepted everything offered... with grace.

All these (9?) years later, whilst we are not friends in the true sense, we have smiled and said hello on the 3 occasions we have crossed paths out in civvy street, but most heartening of all, we have shook hands on arrival at our seat for each and every game since.  Literally!
It's nice.  It's welcoming.  It's mature.  It's all Rams together.

*The Idiakez chant after he skied his play off peno was all down to me!  Gobby still, but I can't deny my lungs nearly burst, in my weakening attempts to get everyone to join in.  Thank you to everyone who eventually, but sensationally joined in.  I maintain to this day it was well worth the effort!  

Absolutely no point to my post whatsoever, but a nice story all the same, no?  ?

Edited by Mucker1884
Added the * bit, for a bit of perspective!

23 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I’m in the east stand and I don’t have to stand up to hate florist and I can give passionate support without swearing.

If that's aimed at me, then yes, so can I.  Like I say, I've (finally) grown up!  Apologies for it taking so long!

Despite my initial dislike of the atmosphere in the NE Corner, I have very much come to enjoy it... prefer it in fact.  I prefer the lack of industrial language, the lack of jostling, and most of all, the fact I can see the full 90 without ever having to stand up to see.
I most definitely prefer the non-chaotic after-whistle departure, in comparison to the often threatening nature in the SE corner (As we came out in the same corner as away fans back then, with an extremely thin blue line half-arsedly keeping us apart!)

The very thought of me returning to my old seat (Or the South Stand equivalent today) offers me nothing but shudders!  ?

Edited by Mucker1884

On the incident discussed earlier that's really not on tbh. I like the fact that Derby like all football grounds nowadays caters to pretty much everyone and you can have an entirely different experience based on your needs and wants of football. I love a good sing and shout when I go to the match, so for me I like to go in the south stand to have an afternoon of catharsis by supporting my team after what is usually quite a long and stressful week.

But not everyone is like that, my gf who has autism has expressed an interest in coming to a game and if she did I'd probably get tickets in the east or west stand for us as she'd likely not love the kind of experience the south stand offers. People who have small kids may not want them to hear the language or be close to the kinds of behaviours that occur in some parts of the ground and that's fine too. Football is a place to come together but that doesn't mean replicating one another's behaviour at the game, it's about accepting the different ways in which we all support our team. 

Good to see read some positive vibes about the South Stand. The reason we pushed and pushed for it was so like minded fans can get together - also known as the sweaty men by all accounts! Haha! We have other stands as mentioned above for families / older fans etc - all about choice like so many have mentioned.

The last 2 games have been fantastic, it has to be said. Real good passion. Whether thats down to Covid / situation we are in and the siege mentality, I dont know, but it has to continue. Voices could have dropped when 2 nil down Tuesday night, they didn't. 

Going forward the plan is to get safe standing in the South Stand. This is very much ongoing, unfortunately despite being one of the front runners we are fairly behind on it all now due to our ownership which is a shame but long term plan wise, that is it.

Also whilst I am on, just want to make reference to the concourse issue in the South Stand on Saturday against Huddersfield, see below...

Shortage of bottles of carling (UK wide problem) led to only pints being served. These are generally used for festivals and stadiums so production of these have only just recommenced and DCFC are trying to get hold of some asap. As soon as they have them then the bottle pop up bars outside the South Stand will be open again when they can be.

With this being the first game back with a sizeable crowd after 500 days things were always going to be rusty with existing staff and a lot of new staff.

We all know DCFC are up against it at the moment, they are aware of the issues and trying to sort it, just need to give them the time.