South Stand: Respect

Ellafella

18 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Come off it. It was fans from the concourse with no idea it was going on… and why would they? Not even November yet, never mind the 11th. Just unfortunate. 

It's getting ridiculous, when is Remembrance Sunday? November 14th. Nothing but value signalling. Hold a service at the ground/outside the ground on Nov. 14th.

Edited by RoyMac5

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's getting ridiculous, when is Remembrance Sunday? November 14th. Nothing but value signalling. Hold a service at the ground/outside the ground on Nov. 14th.

Nearest homr game to it I guess but agree it feels a bit early so if they were noisy not in their seats understandable.. 

Wasn't aware.

Just arrived, and on the way up the stairs from concourse.  Normally I'd be alone and silent.  Today, I was chatting with my son... a former squaddie... when we suddenly twigged it was silent in the ground.  Less than 5 seconds later, and just as the stands were coming into view, the whistle went off, and the roar went up.

Quite by accident, we'd "just about got away with it"!

I Pre-Booked our places for the Remembrance Day ceremony at The NMA just 2 days ago, as son likes to give a nod to his mates names up on the Camp Bastion Wall, but neither of us had even twigged it would be a minutes silence today.  Seen no notice of it beforehand.  With hindsight, it was obviously the last game before the 11th, but so early, neither of us had given it a thought.

#lestweforget
xxx

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

All clubs do it every year, and auction off the poppy shirts for RBL funds. Is it necessary? It's one minute out of 3,780.

Lest we forget.

I didn't say is it necessary at all, I said 'to do it now'. I said it's not Remembrance Sunday. Lets just spread it all year round? 

Just now, angieram said:

Nearest home match, isn't it? 

Yes, I know that. But it makes the actual event have less meaning imo. By the time we've actually got to the Remembrance most people will have seen or been part of numerous 'minutes silence'. For me it seems to be too much about showing and not enough about feeling. It's my opinion, I'd rather there was an event at PP on the day.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, I know that. But it makes the actual event have less meaning imo. By the time we've actually got to the Remembrance most people will have seen or been part of numerous 'minutes silence'. For me it seems to be too much about showing and not enough about feeling. It's my opinion, I'd rather there was an event at PP on the day.

It's usually and traditionally (Covid permitting!) in the market place.  Two in the same city at the same time simply wouldn't work.   

#LWF
xxx

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well, I am a sad individual who only goes to football, so will probably only observe two minute silences; the second of which will be at Barnsley on Wednesday night. 

So, I welcome the opportunity to remember those who went before; it heartens me that even the most drunk or coked up fans are usually impeccable in their observation of the silence; I like the fact that the shirt auction puts some serious money into RBL to help people who are suffering the effects of conflict now. 

If there was an event at Pride Park on the day, very few would go. 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, I am a sad individual who only goes to football, so will probably only observe two minute silences; the second of which will be at Barnsley on Wednesday night. 

It'll be on the tv and radio too. But each to their own. I live in Wiltshire and it has a fair amount of Forces personnel (ex and present) in evidence. The sight and sound of the current Forces training is a near ever present too.

For me it's like most celebrated 'days' in this country they become stretched into weeks on end and lose lots of their power to affect. Again my opinion.

Edited by RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It'll be on the tv and radio too. But each to their own. I live in Wiltshire and it has a fair amount of Forces personnel (ex and present) in evidence. The sight and sound of the current Forces training is a near ever present too.

For me it's like most celebrated 'days' in this country they become stretched into weeks on end and lose lots of their power to affect. Again my opinion.

I do get what you're saying, and in essence I agree.  It does get stretched out.  As you say, they all seem to do nowadays.
30th October does seem too early for a remembrance minute's silence, (It took me and my ex-squaddie son by surprise!) but what choice does the club have, given the fixture list?

Closer but after the eleventh just wouldn't do, and certainly not after Remembrance Sunday (14th this year).  That would smack as "Oops, we nearly forgot"!

Not at all (due to the nearest home game being too early) would smack of "Oh, we just don't care"!

Of all the options available, DCFC (and presumably a fair few other clubs) most certainly took the best, most acceptable, and the right action. 

I'm just sorry we missed it yesterday (due to an "almost-late-but-not-quite" arrival at the stadium).  But hey, I know we'll "make up for it", so not feeling too guilty!

Rather an extra minutes silence (or two... or six!), than no silence at all.  Circumstances dictate this wasn't ideal (timing), but that should not detract from its purpose... to stop, think, and remember.  It doesn't have to be on the day, and it doesn't have to be just the once each year.  

FWIW, My own opinion is that it does no harm to remember the fallen... and the ones that returned, but continue to suffer... off our own back.  We shouldn't have to wait to be told when to remember them, and when to give thanks.  Some of us do that on an almost daily basis anyway, in our own little ways.

Just my opinion.

#LWF
xxx

PS:
Give my regards to Tidworth, if you're ever passing through! Lot of good folk in that there area.    ?

Back on topic...
(*Apologies for my part in the above diversion!)

I was accompanied by one of my (adult) sons yesterday, for the first time in a good while.
Whilst there has been recent talk of "Improved atmosphere", my own opinion was that, yes, it was a tad better, but not massively so (even taking the lower attendances into account).
Yesterday, I changed my opinion.  Yesterday proved that we can indeed do it when we are truly up against it.  Yesterday it was needed more than any other game this season... and it almost delivered!
Our fans should be rightly proud of our performance yesterday... all 4 sides... and I know I walked out with my son, with my head held high.  He was mightily impressed, given the numbers, and the recent turmoil!

?

34 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

PS:
Give my regards to Tidworth, if you're ever passing through! Lot of good folk in that there area.    ?

Don't get Tidworth way very often. I used to do some MoD work at Upavon, but I think that was mostly officers, dontcha know! ? 

Now we're getting earlier dark evenings I imagine it will be easy to spot the flares being fired over the Plain for night training exercises. First time I saw it I thought it was a bit early for Fireworks Night! ? The often heard sound of heavy guns and machine gun fire is a constant reminder of how horrific it must be to be near/be in/have come from an area of 'warfare'. Our next door neighbours are ex-RAF and the other side, her son was on The Galahad and taken prisoner on a separate occasion. 

When younger I always leant towards being a bit of a pacifist, but as I've got older decided you have to 'fight for peace'.

#Lestweforget

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

It's usually and traditionally (Covid permitting!) in the market place.  Two in the same city at the same time simply wouldn't work.   

#LWF
xxx

There are quite a few around Derby on Remembrance Sunday. 

The main one is at the cenotaph on the market place, but they also services at Shelton lock, Mickleover, Mackworth, Chellaston and Littleover and these are just the ones I know of.