What time is Rooneys press conference

20 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Rooney has also mentioned Garner according to Steve Nicholson, although the live feed has updated with what was actually said but I would assume it is to say we're interested in him on loan as well as Mengi from Man Utd

Strange nothing is written on his page, can’t see us being able to attract any of them and Delap

Although I'd consider myself to be in the 'Rooney out' camp, and despite the recent negative publicity involving Rooney, I do have admiration for him on the back of this.

I've said before I have no idea why he's still here. He's clearly being messed around, and his reputation in his first ever managerial role is going to be the frontman for the circus that is going on behind the scenes, and ultimately on the pitch.

Plenty would have walked. I admire him for not doing that. Arguably, we wouldn't be worse off if he goes and Wassall or Walker, or somebody like that comes in. The person that will likely be worse off for staying, is Rooney.

It's either blind loyalty, blind optimism, or some unfound confidence he has in being able to turn this around. If Stearman and Davies have signed, then on paper we shouldn't really expect to get battered in August with the fixtures we've got. Our starting XI is ok. There's no depth, but for this level, the eleven we can put out are an OK team. Nothing more.

He must have confidence that more will come in before the window shuts, he just has to. Otherwise why would he endure a season of this? Whether that's the likes of Jagielka, Aluko, Morrison etc. joining the ranks, or he's calling in favours from Manchester United to chuck us a few players to make a difference, I don't know.

It's all very confusing, he's said he's staying, but I'd love to know the reasons in his head for why he thinks that's the right decision.

20 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Although I'd consider myself to be in the 'Rooney out' camp, and despite the recent negative publicity involving Rooney, I do have admiration for him on the back of this.

I've said before I have no idea why he's still here. He's clearly being messed around, and his reputation in his first ever managerial role is going to be the frontman for the circus that is going on behind the scenes, and ultimately on the pitch.

Plenty would have walked. I admire him for not doing that. Arguably, we wouldn't be worse off if he goes and Wassall or Walker, or somebody like that comes in. The person that will likely be worse off for staying, is Rooney.

It's either blind loyalty, blind optimism, or some unfound confidence he has in being able to turn this around. If Stearman and Davies have signed, then on paper we shouldn't really expect to get battered in August with the fixtures we've got. Our starting XI is ok. There's no depth, but for this level, the eleven we can put out are an OK team. Nothing more.

He must have confidence that more will come in before the window shuts, he just has to. Otherwise why would he endure a season of this? Whether that's the likes of Jagielka, Aluko, Morrison etc. joining the ranks, or he's calling in favours from Manchester United to chuck us a few players to make a difference, I don't know.

It's all very confusing, he's said he's staying, but I'd love to know the reasons in his head for why he thinks that's the right decision.

But he is at a big Championship club, with his record so far where would he go?

26 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I just think he's not a quitter. This experience is pretty good for the future. He'll learn quickly from the mistakes he makes and will be all the better for it. He's a tough guy and resilient which are probably which are probably the 2 most useful characteristics for working in football. 

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

A pro Rooney chant wouldn't go amiss tomorrow. I think he feels everyone is against him, including the fans. 

It would be nice to see a smile on his face if fan support included him. 

Spot on @Anag Ram. I hope there will be. There was a lot of chants for him at Betis and Notts County. Whatever one may think of WR, can you imagine the amount of crap he's dealing with right now? And of course Colleen continues to feed the lawyers with lots of £ in her Wagatha claim with Mrs Vardy. 

46 minutes ago, Kernow said:

He's got nowhere to go,no one else has offered him a job and to move onwards to prem team he needs to prove he can do better than last year's efforts.

If he walks he also loses substantial dollar even if,as some believe,he's a multi billionaire who is above the concept of money.

In the unlikely event that Ollie goes missing in a freak speedboat incident and man u knocked on Wayne's £60 hotel room door and managed to awaken him from his slumber,he'd be off like a rat up a drainpipe,never to mention his time at Derby county again.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

22 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But he is at a big Championship club, with his record so far where would he go?

That might be the question he's asking himself. Even if he did wonder where he would go, he must obviously fancy himself to still do a good job with what he has, because big Championship club or not, he's not going to want to have taking us down on his CV no matter the extenuating circumstances.

14 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I just think he's not a quitter. This experience is pretty good for the future. He'll learn quickly from the mistakes he makes and will be all the better for it. He's a tough guy and resilient which are probably which are probably the 2 most useful characteristics for working in football. 

Definitely isn't a quitter, credit to him for that. Hopefully he can use that refusal to quit attitude and inspire the players. A siege mentality may help us to do better than most expect, who knows? I just hope he focuses on us this season and how we play, rather than altering our approach every game to try and tackle what the opposition will bring. Last season should be a learning curve for him because there's still a lot of room for improvement.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He's got nowhere to go,no one else has offered him a job and to move onwards to prem team he needs to prove he can do better than last year's efforts.

If he walks he also loses substantial dollar even if,as some believe,he's a multi billionaire who is above the concept of money.

In the unlikely event that Ollie goes missing in a freak speedboat incident and man u knocked on Wayne's £60 hotel room door and managed to awaken him from his slumber,he'd be off like a rat up a drainpipe,never to mention his time at Derby county again.

He's a big name, I'm sure he'd find somewhere. Whether the money matters or not, it's a huge gamble for him. I suppose he only has to do a half decent job and keep his name in management, and I'm sure he'd get offers elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

He's a big name, I'm sure he'd find somewhere. Whether the money matters or not, it's a huge gamble for him. I suppose he only has to do a half decent job and keep his name in management, and I'm sure he'd get offers elsewhere.

I'm not sure that having a big name as a player matters for anything unless you show some ability at managing a football club.

And let's be honest,no one has tried to tempt him away have they.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

57 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

No where to go

Seriously, where does he need to go? You don't think he's doing this to keep the mortgage payments up. Rooney could walk any time, as I said on another thread - you might not like him as a manager, or you may do, but it's hard to not appreciate his willingness to get the club past this. 

As for a huge gamble, not one bit of it. Nobody in football would begrudge him backing out of this and even if some would welcome it, he would easily find another role in the game that would offer a bit more of a chance of success than this one is likely to bring.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'm not sure that having a big name as a player matters for anything unless you show some ability at managing a football club.

And let's be honest,no one has tried to tempt him away have they.

They haven't, but he's obviously been lead to believe certain things which just haven't been the case. Takeovers, signings etc. He's made noises in the media that he believes certain things are close that never happened, or didn't happen as expected.

He's hardly been a revelation for us, but at the same time we've hardly given him the best conditions to do his job. If he wanted to carry on coaching or developing as a manager, he'd get somewhere and he's still very young in terms of his managerial career. Opportunities at clubs as "big" as Derby would probably come again if he was up to it.

I still think he's taking a massive risk by staying. Things are looking a lot more likely to end badly, than they are for Rooney to emerge as the man who saved Derby. 

9 minutes ago, Kernow said:

He's a big name, I'm sure he'd find somewhere. Whether the money matters or not, it's a huge gamble for him. I suppose he only has to do a half decent job and keep his name in management, and I'm sure he'd get offers

Not convinced on this. 

I think he sat down this summer with his advisors and gamed the options available.

He ended up sticking with the poo fest here and backing himself to pull though as there weren’t any better options. 

If he fails he can blame the club being in a mess and go back to manure or Everton in a coaching capacity and reset his career.

4 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Not convinced on this. 

I think he sat down this summer with his advisors and gamed the options available.

He ended up sticking with the poo fest here and backing himself to pull though as there weren’t any better options. 

If he fails he can blame the club being in a mess and go back to manure or Everton in a coaching capacity and reset his career.

Look at how many 'goes' big name ex-players get. Of course he'd get another club interested. Maybe, just maybe he feels something for this poor ol' ex-great club and would want to do his best for us and succeed here.