The men who sell football

swansea ram

44 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

When and where can we watch/listen to this?

For those who don't have Sky or don't live in the UK, it looks like you can watch Al Jazeera live for free on their website and on Youtube. Not sure if it will cut out in time for the documentary.

https://www.aljazeera.com/live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-upyPouRrB8

I've just listened to a bit of the advanced audio. I thought it was interesting that clearly A) he appeared desperate to sell given they contacted the 'interested party' even after he pulled out but b) is it just me who thought the asking price was a tad high? 100 million quid including the stadium for a second division club?  I might have heard it wrong as was doing some writing as listening but maybe this is why we haven't had serious buyers as of yet because he's sticking by a high valuation for a club that's in the toilet. 

I'm not a financial expert of any kind either but the part about Mel wanting loans being paid back over a long period of time rather than in one go, doesn't that contradict previous interviews where he's stated the money he's sunk in he's never getting back? Or is he simply discussing writing them off over time as opposed to one go? 

6 minutes ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Loans are a balance sheet issue, not P&L which is the trading position of the club, the loans would be use underwrite the excess spending and keep the club solvent.

As they were not, it would seem interest bearing they would not affect the P&L or cash position negatively.

The P&S position is going to be affected by how much capital Mel injected. If he's put an additional £8m per season in on top of the loans, we can lose a rolling average of £13m. If he hasn't we could be down as low as £5m allowable loss.

That's where it could get sticky. That audio is going to be used as proof of a deliberate attempt to act outside the spirit of the rules and will thus trigger the the extra points deduction for aggravating factors if we're even a million over the limit.

Hopefully, Mel is far too cute to get caught out like that, but I'd be a lot happier if the accounts had been published. 

1 hour ago, mike93rh said:

Is it?!

Quote from the Al Jazeera article - "In 2012 and 2016 respectively, he set up deals for the purchase of two English clubs – Reading and Aston Villa. Both were taken to the brink of financial ruin under mysterious new owners."

That's in reference to Christopher Samuelson, who Al Jazeera claim was asked by Mel directly to sell the club.

Another quote from the same article - "This “ultimate man in the shadows”, was the subject of money-laundering investigations in several European countries but has never been charged."

Probably the most damning is the admission from Morris he was ever working with Samuelson - "Morris told Al Jazeera... that they had not had any “formal association” with Samuelson for some time."

If you ask me it absolutely stinks.

https://www.ajiunit.com/article/investigation-reveals-how-football-can-be-used-to-launder-money/

It doesn't stink at all. Where money goes there are always suspect characters. 

Looking for something that isn't there.

1 hour ago, rams_man said:

If what is in part 1 of this is true, I'm not suprised the EFL are gunning for Mel.

As was said in the podcast what he was suggesting isn't against the rules but again it is a clever way of skirting around them.

Forest wrote off £40m in one season in that exact way 

QPR have also done done the exact same thing. 

As have Stoke.

51 minutes ago, Carnero said:

In simple terms...

Mel's loans were made to the parent company.

The parent company invested in DCFC as share capital.

Mel will be selling the parent company shares, which puts DCFC under new ultimate ownership.

Where does this fit with related party transactions.  Can’t see how we will be escape embargo in this environment

36 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I've just listened to a bit of the advanced audio. I thought it was interesting that clearly A) he appeared desperate to sell given they contacted the 'interested party' even after he pulled out but b) is it just me who thought the asking price was a tad high? 100 million quid including the stadium for a second division club?  I might have heard it wrong as was doing some writing as listening but maybe this is why we haven't had serious buyers as of yet because he's sticking by a high valuation for a club that's in the toilet. 

I'm not a financial expert of any kind either but the part about Mel wanting loans being paid back over a long period of time rather than in one go, doesn't that contradict previous interviews where he's stated the money he's sunk in he's never getting back? Or is he simply discussing writing them off over time as opposed to one go? 

Hardly selling it for a £1.  Buyer needs to find 140m just to get to the starting line and what about PP

24 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

It doesn't stink at all. Where money goes there are always suspect characters. 

Looking for something that isn't there.

That doesn't mean most reputable businesses choose to associate with those notorious for being the most shady.