The men who sell football

swansea ram

These people are dodgy and if Mel has asked Samuelson to sell Derby then were dodgy by association. Just Mel saying the way of getting out of paying the 150m in one go might get us into hot water with the EFL when they see it. I agree its not against any rules but that line of defence hasn't worked very well for us lately has it?

Edited by Nookiebear1

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Here we go. People whipping themselves into a frenzy. I’ll watch it but reading the article doesn’t seem like he’s done anything wrong to me. Shows how easily football owners looking to get out can be exploited, Derby and Mel were nearly victims. That’s the main story.

Im not whipping anyone into a frenzy. I just think with the dodgy relationship we currently have with the EFL, i think this wont go down very well on the bridge building front?

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Here we go. People whipping themselves into a frenzy. I’ll watch it but reading the article doesn’t seem like he’s done anything wrong to me. Shows how easily football owners looking to get out can be exploited, Derby and Mel were nearly victims. That’s the main story.

You don’t think this shows Mel in a different light?

9 minutes ago, Nookiebear1 said:

These people are dodgy and if Mel has asked Samuelson to sell Derby then were dodgy by association. Just Mel saying the way of getting out of paying the 150m in one go might get us into hot water with the EFL when they see it. I agree its not against any rules but that line of defence hasn't worked very well for us lately has it?

I highly doubt that, agreeing to talk to a middleman who comes to you wth a potential buyer is not really the same as saying "find me a buyer"

but with Mel wanting to sell up / at least have some of the burden shared being well known around the industry presumably even longer than around the forums any and every middle man will be going "oh yeah, you can buy Derby, i'll get you a meeting with Mel" and Mel is probably not going to be going "no interest unless the buyer is a shining beacon of virtue who is highly regarded by business and the public alike"

57 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The P&S position is going to be affected by how much capital Mel injected. If he's put an additional £8m per season in on top of the loans, we can lose a rolling average of £13m. If he hasn't we could be down as low as £5m allowable loss.

That's where it could get sticky. That audio is going to be used as proof of a deliberate attempt to act outside the spirit of the rules and will thus trigger the the extra points deduction for aggravating factors if we're even a million over the limit.

Hopefully, Mel is far too cute to get caught out like that, but I'd be a lot happier if the accounts had been published. 

Far too cute...may be, but desperate to sell and that has led to talking to some dodgy cheikh, even dodgier Spanish loony and now being recorded on some sort of sting. I think you are right about aggravating factors.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I highly doubt that, agreeing to talk to a middleman who comes to you wth a potential buyer is not really the same as saying "find me a buyer"

but with Mel wanting to sell up / at least have some of the burden shared being well known around the industry presumably even longer than around the forums any and every middle man will be going "oh yeah, you can buy Derby, i'll get you a meeting with Mel" and Mel is probably not going to be going "no interest unless the buyer is a shining beacon of virtue who is highly regarded by business and the public alike"

Im not actually disagreeing with you. What im saying is will the EFL see it like that? Or will they think this is another way Mel is trying to put one over them and every other club in the league. Not perfect when were trying to get them to let us sign more players before the deadline 

8 minutes ago, Nookiebear1 said:

Im not whipping anyone into a frenzy. I just think with the dodgy relationship we currently have with the EFL, i think this wont go down very well on the bridge building front?

You'd be surprised if they weren't already aware - afterall we knew of the bloke doing the brokering!

Whatever the legality of this,it's yet another shady event that's going to further hurt derbys reputation in the eyes of the footballing community.

I'm not sure how low our rep can go to be honest,we seemed to be trapped in a football black hole of poo which is completely inescapable and dragging in extra poo as we fall deeper.

2 minutes ago, Nookiebear1 said:

Im not actually disagreeing with you. What im saying is will the EFL see it like that? Or will they think this is another way Mel is trying to put one over them and every other club in the league. Not perfect when were trying to get them to let us sign more players before the deadline 

Fair enough, I think we're all a little concerned, even if there's nothing that bad, the optics are not great and it's not clear how far Mel is willing to induldge people who my not exactly be FTSE100. Agreeing the sale to Alonso was obviously a bad move....

15 minutes ago, Spanish said:

You don’t think this shows Mel in a different light?

But we knew he’s been dealing with Samuelson, who has been in football for years built a decent standing and successfully brokered deals for Reading and Villa. Samuelson is the story and he’s in massive trouble now.

Mel is a target because he’s made it clear he wants out. I think it shows how easy it is to be the victim of criminal wrongdoing in this situation, why should we see him a different light? Enlighten me? Or do I need to watch it (I will watch it)

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

But we knew he’s been dealing with Samuelson, who has been in football for years built a decent standing and successfully brokered deals for Reading and Villa. Samuelson is the story and he’s in massive trouble now.

Mel is a target because he’s made it clear he wants out. I think it shows how easy it is to be the victim of criminal wrongdoing in this situation, why should we see him a different light? Enlighten me? Or do I need to watch it (I will watch it)

I don’t think he looks now like the guy who would never sell the club down the river.  I am very worried about the state of the club and it’s relationship with efl and I don’t believe these revelations will have helped us.  If he wasn’t one of our own I imagine he wouldn’t be getting the support he is getting

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I don’t think he looks now like the guy who would never sell the club down the river.  I am very worried about the state of the club and it’s relationship with efl and I don’t believe these revelations will have helped us.  If he wasn’t one of our own I imagine he wouldn’t be getting the support he is getting

I think from the hints of who we might be negotiating with currently Mel has moved on. Perhaps he's accepted that it means a lower offer but a more 'acceptable' one? 

I’m going to wait to watch the documentary, but based on the snippet from the podcast I just found myself feeling sad about it all. 

Derby County is the heartbeat of a community and here we are, again, getting dragged through the mud when thousands of people have already voted with their feet. People are genuinely sick of it all. Mel has surrounded himself with bad characters throughout his tenure here and has continued that trend to led us down the path we found ourselves now. I genuinely wish he stopped thinking he was the cleverest guy in the room, stopped looking at ways we can gain advantages financially and just focus on running the club the best possible way within our budget. 

I appreciate a lot of what he’s done for the club and the city, but it’s heartbreaking to see what we’ve become. He’s not a stupid man. He knew what he was doing when he got into bed with someone like Samuelson, a known chancer and quite frankly despicable human-being.