Fans not from Derbyshire...

On 08/08/2021 at 19:43, Detroit Derby Fan said:

Greetings from "Across the pond" in Detroit. It took me while to gather my thoughts on this topic and commit to posting them.  

My Derby fandom arrived much later in life, at 45 years of age.   I grew up in Detroit and have always supported Detroit sports teams, as well as Michigan State and Notre Dame University.  I grew up playing soccer, as did my father, who emigrated from Croatia, as well as two of my three boys.  My middle son and I started following the club in the 2013-14 season. We were interested in finding an English team to follow and knowing Andy Appleby as a fellow metro-Detroiter we started to follow Derby, originally only through the team's twitter feed and the occasional broadcast on BEIN network.  We watched them through the playoff victory against Brighton, then the calamity against QPR.  

An additional Detroit-Derby link is through Roger Faulkner, a Derby supporter who was one of the co-owners of Detroit's 1970s NASL team, the Express.  

As we are acclimated to unfortunate twists of fate with our Detroit-area teams,(ie the Detroit Lions NFL team)  the playoff final defeat cemented our support of Derby County.  In the years since, we are charter subscribers of RamsTV  and are now able to follow a number of games on ESPN Plus.  I also follow this forum on a daily basis and do admire the folks who frequent this Board, such as B4 and David.  Your deep, heartfelt support of the club, usually with a healthy dose of humor, is a joy to peruse through these cyber-pages.   

Other random observations from the Motor City:

- Whether my son and I ever get to Pride Park remains to be seen, it is definitely on our bucket list.  If any forum goers are in the neighborhood, I would be delighted to treat you a Detroit City FC soccer game.  They are our local team and have a game atmosphere that supporters such as yourselves can appreciate. 

- While Mel Morris has his detractors these days, in my view he was spot-on with regard to EFL television rights. They are tremendously undervalued.  The Championship is the most entertaining overseas league to watch, in my view.  The Premier League top clubs are usually the in the same group of 4-6.  The Bundesliga, La Liga, League 1 and Serie A are all dominated by super clubs, with the remaining teams just trying to stay up. What fun is that? The Championship season is a rock-fight every year. Evenly matched teams with historic rivalries.  A crabs-in-the-bucket attempted escape through either the untold fortunes of promotion or the richest game in football.  Conversely,  the trap door of relegation immerses a club in financial quicksand, without parachute payments to assist out of the morass.  

-  In a way, the reduced expectations of this year may make for a more enjoyable season than chasing promotion.  If the club average one point a game, they will be in a position to stay up at the end, which is the goal of this year.  In any other recent season a home draw to Huddersfield would be met with concern from Derby supporters. This year, it feels like a win. 

- Thank you for your contributions to the forum, which I have enjoyed reading through the years. I hope to meet up with some of your some day either at Pride Park or the next time Derby launch a summer tour of the US. 

- COYR

Brilliant post & welcome to the forum

Detroit such a fascinating city - massive similarities with Derby with being a automotive manufacturing city but Derby never had Motown ?

Sorry to say though I'm a massive Wisconsin sport fan - I'm all about those Green Bay Packers & Milwaukee Bucks ??

Greetings from "Across the pond" in Detroit. It took me while to gather my thoughts on this topic and commit to posting them.  

My Derby fandom arrived much later in life, at 45 years of age.   I grew up in Detroit and have always supported Detroit sports teams, as well as Michigan State and Notre Dame University.  I grew up playing soccer, as did my father, who emigrated from Croatia, as well as two of my three boys.  My middle son and I started following the club in the 2013-14 season. We were interested in finding an English team to follow and knowing Andy Appleby as a fellow metro-Detroiter we started to follow Derby, originally only through the team's twitter feed and the occasional broadcast on BEIN network.  We watched them through the playoff victory against Brighton, then the calamity against QPR.  

An additional Detroit-Derby link is through Roger Faulkner, a Derby supporter who was one of the co-owners of Detroit's 1970s NASL team, the Express.  

As we are acclimated to unfortunate twists of fate with our Detroit-area teams,(ie the Detroit Lions NFL team)  the playoff final defeat cemented our support of Derby County.  In the years since, we are charter subscribers of RamsTV  and are now able to follow a number of games on ESPN Plus.  I also follow this forum on a daily basis and do admire the folks who frequent this Board, such as B4 and David.  Your deep, heartfelt support of the club, usually with a healthy dose of humor, is a joy to peruse through these cyber-pages.   

- Whether my son and I ever get to Pride Park remains to be seen, it is definitely on our bucket list.  If any forum goers are in the neighborhood, I would be delighted to treat you a Detroit City FC soccer game.  They are our local team and have a game atmosphere that supporters such as yourselves can appreciate. 

- While Mel Morris has his detractors these days, in my view he was spot-on with regard to EFL television rights. They are tremendously undervalued.  The Championship is the most entertaining overseas league to watch, in my view.  The Premier League top clubs are usually the in the same group of 4-6.  The Bundesliga, La Liga, League 1 and Serie A are all dominated by super clubs, with the remaining teams just trying to stay up. What fun is that? The Championship season is a rock-fight every year. Evenly matched teams with historic rivalries.  A crabs-in-the-bucket attempted escape through either the untold fortunes of promotion or the richest game in football.  Conversely,  the trap door of relegation immerses a club in financial quicksand, without parachute payments to assist out of the morass.  

-  In a way, the reduced expectations of this year may make for a more enjoyable season than chasing promotion.  If the club average one point a game, they will be in a position to stay up at the end, which is the goal of this year.  In any other recent season a home draw to Huddersfield would be met with concern from Derby supporters. This year, it feels like a win. 

- Thank you for your contributions to the forum, which I have enjoyed reading through the years. I hope to meet up with some of your some day either at Pride Park or the next time Derby launch a summer tour of the US. 

- COYR

Great post and analogies, Crab-in-the bucket escape, financial quicksand etc...You should write a match report sometimes, that would be good. 

PS. At the moment it feels more like black hole than quicksand btw ?

Born and raised in Derby. My Dad took me to my first game when I was 3, not sure exactly when (he couldn't remember either, nor who we were playing) or why he suddenly decided to take me, but I do have a dim recollection of standing on the stub wall around the pitch in the Vulcan hanging on to the red hooped railing and later being dumped at the back of the Popside while he watched the rest of the game (I assume I got bored). He didn't take me again until a preseason friendly vs Hearts in 1967 I think, which is when I started to take an active interest in the Rams. I got my first season ticket and started going regularly in 69/70 (glory hunter). 

Left Derby at 19 to go to Uni and over the next 40 years, living and working in various places across the South-East, the last dozen or so years in the Smoke. In the early years I probably went to as many away games as home games, and sometimes economics determined that I only went to a dozen games a season, but when Pride Park was opened I decided to bite the bullet and get a ST again and I've been in the East Stand ever since. 

I'm now retired back in Derbyshire and appreciating not having to travel so much, but the Rams have always been the constant that has maintained my connections with the County, the City and my family and oldest friends. 

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Now and again, usually it’s a minibus but we have a problem with it so looks like more games on the train this season!

I think I’ll be going via Sheffield for most games this season, but I’ll probably be going via Stoke and coming through Uttoxeter for the Forest game. Let me know if you’re getting the train for that one and I’ll say hi.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

19 minutes ago, LichvegasRam said:

Born in Lichfield and couldn't stand Villa like everyone else in Lichfield. My dad took me to Derby to get me to a family friendly club away from swearing brummie yobs!

Now living down in Borehamwood so if any other Rams fans are down here, let me know.

What’s the local league team to Borehamwood?

On 08/08/2021 at 23:02, Stagtime said:

It’s a pity the club doesn’t do a supporters membership for fans that can’t get to Derby. The club I follow here do one and send it around the world, usually a cap, a car sticker, lanyard etc. I’m sure they would sell well.

there is an international rams that is run by Bernadette and she has been great at helping with fans out side of GB top lady

1 hour ago, LichvegasRam said:

Born in Lichfield and couldn't stand Villa like everyone else in Lichfield. My dad took me to Derby to get me to a family friendly club away from swearing brummie yobs!

Now living down in Borehamwood so if any other Rams fans are down here, let me know.

Nice to hear from another Lichfield born ram. There weren't many of us at my school, vastly outnumbered by Villa and Man U fans. Still at least there weren't any forest or Leeds fans I knew of!

- COYR

Loved that post! Hope you keep posting.

Interesting about your Croatia heritage as well. Surely we'll only become good again once we have a couple of Croatians back in our team.

Watching Asanovic play for Croatia in Euro 96, after we had signed him, must have been one of my best footballing memories.