when can we expect the player retained list?

Woodley Ram

47 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Difficult to say with Davies. He only played for 8 minutes plus time added on and, was by his admission was struggling. So, I’m not sure he’d be able to last a great deal longer although he hadn’t trained much before the game.

Lol. He wasn't even vaguely fit. Hadn't trained with the squad. Had been doing some bike and gym work was all. But still he wanted to play and was committed. He's great to have around the squad too. He's the only one of the 'three' that I'd want to keep, but from what we've seen I expect we'll get more of Waghorn.

2 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I think this season there will be a lot of players released by clubs and a chance to pick up some decent players at much reduced wages by virtue of the amount of them being available. Many clubs will be stripping back to the bare minimum so a chance for all to start reducing the wage bills. 
Maybe a few gems in that box of bargains to be had ? 

Not directed at yourself per se but how many years have I heard that line trotted out in false expectation.

Something radically has to change for this summer to be any different to the last one and the one before ad infinitum.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not directed at yourself per se but how many years have I heard that line trotted out in false expectation.

Something radically has to change for this summer to be any different to the last one and the one before ad infinitum.

Covid has radically changed the financial landscape for all football clubs ,league and non-league this year. With the exception of Prem and clubs with parachute payments i think a lot of clubs will be restructuring playing staff and wages where they can . Saw Bristol City release a lot of players  last week even with their "billionaire" owner and reports that this year could be hundreds of free agent footballers on the market. 

As you say remains to be seen but i think this summer transfer window will be like no other we have seen in regards to players being released.

1 minute ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Covid has radically changed the financial landscape for all football clubs ,league and non-league this year. With the exception of Prem and clubs with parachute payments i think a lot of clubs will be restructuring playing staff and wages where they can . Saw Bristol City release a lot of players  last week even with their "billionaire" owner and reports that this year could be hundreds of free agent footballers on the market. 

As you say remains to be seen but i think this summer transfer window will be like no other we have seen in regards to players being released.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the only free agent we signed in the previous 12 months was Ibe whom has played how many minutes for the club? Think MTW was also a free signing, both have turned out to be unmitigated disasters - at least MTW actually played a few games compared with Ibe.

As I said something radically different has to change in out recruitment.

28 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the only free agent we signed in the previous 12 months was Ibe whom has played how many minutes for the club? Think MTW was also a free signing, both have turned out to be unmitigated disasters - at least MTW actually played a few games compared with Ibe.

CKR ? 

57 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

MTW was clearly Cocu's man. I don't really think he was given a fair chance. Binned out by Rooney. Just like Shinnie was nearly canned under Cocu. The others? I suspect Bielik was already in place, as was Rooney. 

Recruitment would be easier if we had a set style to go for, but when managers change every season and they each want a different style, it is a lottery. 

I actually think our recruitment has been better since the Lampard splurge. Paid money for Bielik and Jozwiak, young players with potential, riskier signings on free and cheap fees for reliable champ players. We just majorly cocked up by not signing the striker Cocu wanted/needed and getting Rooney in on a sponsored deal was not the right direction.

That has been our major problem. We start doing something right and then go and screw it all over and start a whole new plan. As if we constantly have a loaded gun pointed at our feet and an itchy trigger finger.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Difficult to say with Davies. He only played for 8 minutes plus time added on and, was by his admission was struggling. So, I’m not sure he’d be able to last a great deal longer although he hadn’t trained much before the game.

Think he’d be worth it even if he only played 5/10 games for his leadership 

15 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Unlikely I know but I wonder if Jozefzoon is in Rooney's plans. He was sent out on loan before Rooney took over so maybe Rooney would like him in the squad and we offer him a new deal on reduced terms

JoFlo or Roberts, hmmm... ?

30 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Unlikely I know but I wonder if Jozefzoon is in Rooney's plans. He was sent out on loan before Rooney took over so maybe Rooney would like him in the squad and we offer him a new deal on reduced terms

No chance Jozefzoon will be here next season.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No chance Jozefzoon will be here next season.

You would think so but if we are under an embargo or struggling financially it might be easier to keep hold of a player already on our books than to bring someone else in.

I can't imagine any of the out of contract players will be here next season. The likelihood is that they will find a much more stable option in the months before our takeover comes to light. 

In all honesty, I won't lose any sleep. Wisdom and Waghorn are ok Championship players on great Championship level money. We are in no position to be signing players even on 'ok' Championship player money - I'd imagine they will find clubs in the league, i.e. Bristol, Barnsley, Stoke...etc. 

12 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

You would think so but if we are under an embargo or struggling financially it might be easier to keep hold of a player already on our books than to bring someone else in.

I'll give you 5 reasons why he won't be here:

• Lawrence and Jozwiak will still be under contract
  • Waghorn would be a better option
  • Knight would be a better option
  • Shonibare, JML, Wilson or even Ebosele or Archie would have a greater impact off the bench
  • Jozefzoon is poo

An embargo does not prevent signings. However, there are limitations such as no agent fees and wages below £12k pw. We could sign someone on a free from L2 who would demand lesser wages and still be better than Jozefzoon.

I would imagine there will be a number of conversations going on right now between Rooney, Mel and Stephen Pearce and the players/agents which will push this back any kind of announcement back until next month. 

Contracts run until the end of June don't they? 

As for keeping players like Waghorn and Wisdom, I think we have to, this season has shown how little depth we have and it's difficult to see us spending much on fees if any at all. How many decent freebies are out there that are attainable for us, squad fillers?

If both can agree reasonable deals as squad players we really need to keep them.

Neither have had the best of seasons, but then who has? Before we start getting picky about signings/renewals, understand that this isn't 2014, we don't have £30m odd to splash out to rebuild this squad in one summer.