Yankee Doodle Derby

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Apologies if this has already been answered/discussed/dismissed, but:

Is the current manager (and his agent) trying to force Mel into selling the club to owners of their choosing? Specifically an American consortium? Or is this just an internet whisper?

I would seriously fear for any club who are allowing a manager to pick the owner. What are the implications to that? No fear of ever being sacked no matter how bad a job you do? Sounds about as rotten and corrupt as the modern game could get. Hopefully this is not true, anyway. Someone will know the truth. 

If this was true, and it’s a big if, I suppose it’s possible Rooney may know well the company or individual showing an interest from his time in the MLS and perhaps well enough to make the suggestion.

Just now, Anag Ram said:

If this was true, and it’s a big if, I suppose it’s possible Rooney may know well the company or individual showing an interest from his time in the MLS and perhaps well enough to make the suggestion.

Is that what’s been suggested? That it’s got something to do with the MLS? I just don’t like the idea of Rooney bringing in an owner. The whole concept of that just doesn’t sound right to me. Might as well rename the club officially to: Wayne Rooney’s Derby County while he’s at it ?

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Is that what’s been suggested? That it’s got something to do with the MLS? I just don’t like the idea of Rooney bringing in an owner. The whole concept of that just doesn’t sound right to me. Might as well rename the club officially to: Wayne Rooney’s Derby County while he’s at it ?

I might be wrong but i thought nothing like that had been suggested, other than by guesswork and discussion on here.

I dont think we know.

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Could you quote the specific regulations?

I'll quote some relevant sections but you can do your own analysis.

The financial fair play stuff is in Appendix 5 of the overall regs. It covers the ffp calcs and all the salary cap stuff for leagues 1 and 2.

The only objective calculation that's relevant is in section 2, which is the ffp limits and these are the exyracts

2.9  If the P&S Calculation results in a loss that exceeds the Upper Loss Threshold (calculated in accordance with Rule 3) then:

2.9.1  the Executive may exercise its powers set out in Regulation 16.20;

2.9.2  the Club shall be treated as being in breach of these Rules and accordingly The League shall refer the breach to the Disciplinary Commission in accordance with section 8 of the Regulations.

Now, section 1 of the appendix sets out all the guff about the ffp calcs being based on accounting information etc. 

But the more general powers are in section 8, which gives the EFL executive the ability under rule 83.1 to refer a breach of any regulation to the disciplinary Committee (DC). The range of sanctions available is in rule 92 and is anywhere from a reprimand to expulsion. 

So I think that..... 

The EFL think we've breached one or more subsections of section 1 of appendix 5

They're bringing their charge under section 8, which then describes all the procedural detail. 

Note that regulation 16.20 is the rule that gives the EFL executive the power to impose transfer restrictions of the sort we've been given, without reference to a disciplinary body. 

22 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

ISo I think that..... 

The EFL think we've breached one or more subsections of section 1 of appendix 5

They're bringing their charge under section 8, which then describes all the procedural detail. 

Note that regulation 16.20 is the rule that gives the EFL executive the power to impose transfer restrictions of the sort we've been given, without reference to a disciplinary body. 

I wonder who in the leagues voted for all these megalomaniacal regulations? They really do seem to amount to 'unlimited power'?!

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder who in the leagues voted for all these megalomaniacal regulations? They really do seem to amount to 'unlimited power'?!

Jobs for the boys I reckon. The EFL management seem to have relatively little decision making authority, so they spend their time drafting rules and convening endless panels to debate specifics. 

It is ludicrous, but we don't know what alternative the clubs were originally given. You have to think that if we were starting over, you wouldn't design what we have! 

6 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

How can Nixon know anything about potential points deduction, before the original panel have reconvened and discussed the facts ?

Two buyers in talks ?

The ‘sanction’ is decided by the tribunal having considered our submissions and those of the EFl. What’s being said suggests the EFL will press for a lesser penalty if the owner is not MM. If it’s right, it’s an indication of how personal it’s got between MM and the EFl and how foolish it is to wage war against your regulator   

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Wayne is a world figure. He must know many people and it could be a masterstroke.

8 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Those who own DC United are also co-owners of Swansea City. If the American consortium has links to Rooney, it would be most logical to suggest that it would be through DC United. And they can't own both Swansea and Derby.

Still it seems quite likely that the Rooney Gang will be looking for a buying group. But from what you say it can’t be the DC lot. I think that (now Alonso is gonzo) our worst nightmare is that Rooney brings a consortium in. 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

Still it seems quite likely that the Rooney Gang will be looking for a buying group. But from what you say it can’t be the DC lot. I think that (now Alonso is gonzo) our worst nightmare is that Rooney brings a consortium in

Yours maybe. Can't see a problem if they have the money. They will not make Rooney King, they'll run us as a business.

7 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Still it seems quite likely that the Rooney Gang will be looking for a buying group. But from what you say it can’t be the DC lot. I think that (now Alonso is gonzo) our worst nightmare is that Rooney brings a consortium in. 

The only other name I've seen mentioned on Twitter (with absolutely no substance may I add), is Ted Leonsis. Googling him suggests he's a billionaire who seemingly owns every other sports club in Washington DC. He owns Monumental Sports & Entertainment who own several basketball, hockey and 'football' teams.

It's purely guesswork but it wouldn't seem that unlikely for Rooney to have become involved with someone like that during his time in the capital.

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

If he brings them in, he’s their man. The way of the world 

If he brings them in, but looks like getting us relegated they won't keep him as manager. They won't want their investment going down the toilet just because they happen to know the manager. Mel being mates with Steve McClaren didn't stop him sacking him twice

30 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

The ‘sanction’ is decided by the tribunal having considered our submissions and those of the EFl. What’s being said suggests the EFL will press for a lesser penalty if the owner is not MM. If it’s right, it’s an indication of how personal it’s got between MM and the EFl and how foolish it is to wage war against your regulator   

That simply can’t be the case as it destroys all the rules and they can’t be seen to be inconsistent 

28 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

That simply can’t be the case as it destroys all the rules and they can’t be seen to be inconsistent 

Absolutely it’s the case. The reason the EFL will argue for maximum sanctions is because they believe we have misled them and told porkie pies to the tribunal.

If Tom Glick (let’s be optimistic) were to go to theEFL and say: “I’m now running the club. I can’t believe the way this was handled under Mm’s baton and it won’t happen again. I’d like to agree a fine and the club will issue a statement saying the sun shines out of the EFL’s ar$e and that the club deserves to be on the naughtie step. Oh and we’ll pay all of the legal costs.’ Quite likely the EFl would say ‘Its a deal’.

The sanctions are part of the adversarial process. If the EFL says to the DC, we’ve agreed the sanction with the club, what do you think the DC is going to do?

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

Absolutely it’s the case. The reason the EFL will argue for maximum sanctions is because they believe we have misled them and told porkie pies to the tribunal.

If Tom Glick (let’s be optimistic) were to go to theEFL and say: “I’m now running the club. I can’t believe the way this was handled under Mm’s baton and it won’t happen again. I’d like to agree a fine and the club will issue a statement saying the sun shines out of the EFL’s ar$e and that the club deserves to be on the naughtie step. Oh and we’ll pay all of the legal costs.’ Quite likely the EFl would say ‘Its a deal’.

The sanctions are part of the adversarial process. If the EFL says to the DC, we’ve agreed the sanction with the club, what do you think the DC is going to do?

Optimistic - this is mostly Tom Glick's fault. He was the main driver behind FFP.