Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As most fans are aware, I wasn’t Wazza’s biggest fan. I think he was lucky to get the job and even luckier to keep it after the second half of last season. But come on. He has been dealt the biggest ? of a hand but played it extremely well and basically worked miracles. I think he has matured as a person and brought the team together. He has been able to get the best out of some OAP’s and academy players and they are playing for him and the fans that he has galvanised and who are 100% buying in to what he is trying to do.  He deserves to stay as Manager next season when hopefully the shackles will FINALLY come off ??

1 minute ago, seths-cap said:

So you’d replace a manager that’s kept a squad and club together in the middle of a crisis? You’d see gone a man that’s done his job with his hands tied yet stilled showed such loyalty and determination?

So who’d you replace him with??

Perhaps RealisticRam is Mike Ashley so Steve Bruce?

3 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

May not have a club/team/stadium, punished by the efl, countless embargoes, Gibson/Wycombe issues, pb not named, labelled cheats by rival fans, first win in 4 games...... Yeah i feel good for a change, same 'owd' folk trying to p*ss in my cornflakes. The majority are fighting to the end. UTR 

Mate, forgot them. 

For at least a day or two you can sit back, listen to the Radio Derby reaction podcast, think about two brilliant goals, and some atmosphere again!! 

However bad things are now, I believe that they'd be ten times worse without Rooney.

He brought us coverage in the media, which I  believe has helped attract bidders and pressurised the EFL. He's somehow managed to make this squad of old men and boys into a mid-table one. He's been the glue which has kept this damaged club together - paying for training camps and bringing in quality free agents to play for peanuts. That means we have huge crowds and some semblance of cash flow.

We needed a manager with a big name and a resilient, bloody minded nature and that's what we've got.

I think Brian Clough or Sir Alex Ferguson could have done similar jobs (and I'm talking off field as much as on), but other than that, I can't think if anyone better than Rooney. I think there's a really good chance that the club would have folded by now without him.

13 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

However bad things are now, I believe that they'd be ten times worse without Rooney.

He brought us coverage in the media, which I  believe has helped attract bidders and pressurised the EFL. He's somehow managed to make this squad of old men and boys into a mid-table one. He's been the glue which has kept this damaged club together - paying for training camps and bringing in quality free agents to play for peanuts. That means we have huge crowds and some semblance of cash flow.

We needed a manager with a big name and a resilient, bloody minded nature and that's what we've got.

I think Brian Clough or Sir Alex Ferguson could have done similar jobs (and I'm talking off field as much as on), but other than that, I can't think if anyone better than Rooney. I think there's a really good chance that the club would have folded by now without him.

Take on board what your saying but do really believe Brian Clough would have stuck around for the poo show that Rooney has had to endure. If he had stuck around in the first place maybe we wouldn’t be where we are now but that’s an entirely different argument.

3 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Take on board what your saying but do really believe Brian Clough would have stuck around for the poo show that Rooney has had to endure. If he had stuck around in the first place maybe we wouldn’t be where we are now but that’s an entirely different argument.

image.thumb.png.8273f98b55469cebb63633b473559118.png

13 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Why not?  The gumps are in the same place, and he sewed* two stars on their shirts!   

(*Probably just iron-on, to be fair!)

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

I think he would have stuck around. He didn't leave Derby County because we were dying, he/they left because he wanted more control. All that I've read or heard about Brian Clough indicates that he believed in justice and fairness. He was principled, within his own terms, and would have made it his business to save the club.

8 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I think he would have stuck around. He didn't leave Derby County because we were dying, he/they left because he wanted more control. All that I've read or heard about Brian Clough indicates that he believed in justice and fairness. He was principled, within his own terms, and would have made it his business to save the club.

There's a reason he was called "old big head" it was his way or the highway, When training in Sinfin the players had a meeting with him, BC said "we spoke about their concerns and when the meeting finished it was decided I was right"

Sure he had principles...we all do, His family was built on solid foundations, They were all looked after, Only his Daughter fell out with him, She was Dating an old friend of mine who lived on Meadow Lane in Chaddesden, BC didn't like it one bit as there was an age difference, My mate being older, Both my mate  and BC ended up in a physical confrontation in the front garden of my mates house.

Would he have stuck around, I don't think so, No money, No control, No players, No hope.

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

There's a reason he was called "old big head" it was his way or the highway, When training in Sinfin the players had a meeting with him, BC said "we spoke about their concerns and when the meeting finished it was decided I was right"

Sure he had principles...we all do, His family was built on solid foundations, They were all looked after, Only his Daughter fell out with him, She was Dating an old friend of mine who lived on Meadow Lane in Chaddesden, BC didn't like it one bit as there was an age difference, My mate being older, Both my mate  and BC ended up in a physical confrontation in the front garden of my mates house.

Would he have stuck around, I don't think so, No money, No control, No players, No hope.

Was that in his forest days or when he had retired.

44 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Was that in his forest days or when he had retired.

In his forest days around 1985, Elizabeth was as headstrong as Dad and a good 10 years younger than my mate Dave, BC gave as good as he got giving him a black eye, It made the Sunday press, The News of the World did a full page artical on the incident, Dave gave them a call ? think he made a few bob with his story, He mooched off somewhere in the UK a few years later.

I can totally understand the view that we might need to go in a different direction to move the club forward.

There’s a lot to admire about the job Rooney has done - irrespective of whether we stay up or not - but given promotion will be the eventual aim, it’s fair to say that it is a completely different kettle of fish and requires a different level of consistency and ability to get results. The kind of which Rooney and his teams have yet to demonstrate.

Of course, should we stay up, Rooney deserves to stay and every opportunity to move the club forward. It would be unbelievably harsh to part ways. Even I, as someone who isn’t in favour of Rooney, would have to say the achievement would be outstanding and Rooney would deserve total and complete backing.

However if we do go down, there is an argument for making a change, having a clean slate, and appointing someone that is more familiar with League 1 football and knows what it takes to succeed in the division and turn the club around. Harsh too, but this position I could understand.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I can totally understand the view that we might need to go in a different direction to move the club forward.

There’s a lot to admire about the job Rooney has done - irrespective of whether we stay up or not - but given promotion will be the eventual aim, it’s fair to say that it is a completely different kettle of fish and requires a different level of consistency and ability to get results. The kind of which Rooney and his teams have yet to demonstrate.

Of course, should we stay up, Rooney deserves to stay and every opportunity to move the club forward. It would be unbelievably harsh to part ways. Even I, as someone who isn’t in favour of Rooney, would have to say the achievement would be outstanding and Rooney would deserve total and complete backing.

However if we do go down, there is an argument for making a change, having a clean slate, and appointing someone that is more familiar with League 1 football and knows what it takes to succeed in the division and turn the club around. Harsh too, but this position I could understand.

If we go down, our first priority should be to stay up. It sounds unbelievably negative but there's a serious risk of us sinking like a stone. I think keeping Rooney would be the best choice while we stabilise.