vs Swansea (A) - Matchday Thread

Inverurie Ram

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I actually don't think a lot of this is down to experience, I think it's down to coaching. 

Maybe you’re right. However, I am unsure if players are actually coached to stand stationary ball watching from corners or not gambling on runs when we get it down the wing. The first half against Birmingham I thought there was a lot of good ideas - wasn’t pretty but we were getting players around others, had some combinations, nice moves. Just not great quality. Looked like this was actively coached In the week. Second half fell apart. 

11 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Maybe you’re right. However, I am unsure if players are actually coached to stand stationary ball watching from corners or not gambling on runs when we get it down the wing. The first half against Birmingham I thought there was a lot of good ideas - wasn’t pretty but we were getting players around others, had some combinations, nice moves. Just not great quality. Looked like this was actively coached In the week. Second half fell apart. 

Whilst they aren't coached not to move they are coached to do it. Usually you see teams have little triggered moves along with other bits of movement that appears instinctive but has been drilled to death in training so it becomes instinctive. We, under Rooney don't really have that. Players often don't look like they know what to do and often will stand stationary marking themselves out of the game. I suspect the frequent rotation hasn't helped that but honestly we look really undercoached at times.

6 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Even if we have had a few in and out, they have been around the squad day in day out since January so should hardly be strangers. I found it an odd thing to say to justify the trip. Anyway I guess none of us really care as long as it does the job and we get something Saturday.  COYR ?

7 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Get to know your team mate a bit  better? There are 2 games to go of a 46 game season. Surely by now they know each other, if not what the hell do they do everyday. Unfortunately the more WR speaks as a manager, the more I lose faith in him. 

Another factor - COVID-19. Lockdown, Social Distancing, Bio-Secure bubbles. Not the best environment to get to know your team mates away from Football. It’s not like they have been able to go round each other’s houses, go and play golf together go out at the weekend. Actually what Rooney’s saying does make some sense in this instance 

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst they aren't coached not to move they are coached to do it. Usually you see teams have little triggered moves along with other bits of movement that appears instinctive but has been drilled to death in training so it becomes instinctive. We, under Rooney don't really have that. Players often don't look like they know what to do and often will stand stationary marking themselves out of the game. I suspect the frequent rotation hasn't helped that but honestly we look really undercoached at times.

There's been plenty of coaching. Think about the corner/deadball routines.

What you cannot get around is an attack like a wet dishrag and a defence that is uncertain and unprotected often by the midfield.

You can moan on all you like but this is the worst Derby squad I've seen in decades.

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What you cannot get around is an attack like a wet dishrag and a defence that is uncertain and unprotected often by the midfield.

You can moan on all you like but this is the worst Derby squad I've seen in decades.

And the most inexperienced Manager and coach ?

44 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Another factor - COVID-19. Lockdown, Social Distancing, Bio-Secure bubbles. Not the best environment to get to know your team mates away from Football. It’s not like they have been able to go round each other’s houses, go and play golf together go out at the weekend. Actually what Rooney’s saying does make some sense in this instance 

Excellent... I'm on my way! 

Do they take Visa? ?

49 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's the totality of it though. We look like we've worked on set pieces a bit, I'll concede that but even then we aren't scoring from them really. But we don't look like we have a plan of progressing the ball, creating space creating chances or any combination play. 

51 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I mean now you are just exaggerating, this squad isn't great but we've had worse. Similarly we've had worse attacking players on paper and done more them. If players were performing at a level they'd shown previously I'd perhaps buy it was the squad but they've played better almost universally.

14 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I mean now you are just exaggerating, this squad isn't great but we've had worse. Similarly we've had worse attacking players on paper and done more them.

Who? The Prem 11 pointers were obviously better. So which squad and attacking players?

Edited by RoyMac5

On 25/04/2021 at 11:54, Inverurie Ram said:

Swansea City v Derby County Sat 1st May 2021 3pm at The Liberty.

This could be my very first and last go at a Matchday thread, but I hope not.

I hope everyday about most things, and hope that the football club I support provide me with more love than hate.

The sun is shining again today, the skies are blue, we have been told not to panic, even though it gets harder, second by second.

I was going to google Swansea and type in here, some history about them, but like our previous 5 games that is all in the past.

The Future is Unwritten and every staff member and every supporter of Derby County can only help by loving and supporting the club.

I've just been to Aldi and done the weekly shop, unfortunately I saw an elderly man in a Leeds Utd shirt and unfortunately we all have to look at that football club, and look at what it has achieved, since we knocked them out in a play off semi final. I smiled at him under my mask and was happier with the fact that our Aldi is selling again, those little snack bags of carrots and cucumbers, I've not had them in my packed lunch since Derby last won, my lucky shirt and pants have failed, so I waded in and bought a load of them!

The Pooh Sticks are from Swansea. 

The Clash aren't.

Are The Pooh Sticks a Welsh version of The Macc Lads? 

9 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

They see each other every day

1 hour ago, Malcolm Brooks said:

I remember in 1969 ,we lost at home to Crystal Palace ( our only home defeat that season). Brian Clough took the team for a few days to Blackpool ( Longson was not happy ). The result a win, the first of winning the last 9 games of the season. It was declared a masterstroke.

I note however that,that was after their ONLY home defeat of the season...

This lot,together with the gaffer clearly need a gap year then another years holiday together in the Seychelles after the season of losses we have endured.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

On 28/04/2021 at 15:43, SFox1993 said:

Think i must be the only fan that can't see the fuss with Bird. Personally I think he is awful, but obviously hope he will continue to improve.

I feel he is like a Michael Carrick type. Neat, tidy..not very eye-catching. Hard to actually see what he does other keep things ticking over, not got tons of pace or trickery (Joz/Roberts), not aggressive (Shinnie), not one for lung-busting runs (Knight) or worldie goals (Lawrence) ..yet fellow pros love him and he gets a game week in, week out. 

He wouldn't get in my team but maybe he is the glue that holds things together. 

26 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I feel he is like a Michael Carrick type. Neat, tidy..not very eye-catching. Hard to actually see what he does other keep things ticking over, not got tons of pace or trickery (Joz/Roberts), not aggressive (Shinnie), not one for lung-busting runs (Knight) or worldie goals (Lawrence) ..yet fellow pros love him and he gets a game week in, week out. 

He wouldn't get in my team but maybe he is the glue that holds things together. 

He could just as easily be left out of the (mostly) sideways passing and no-one would miss him. Occasional forays in attack, and a very good defensive clearance in the last match shows what he might do. But he doesn't really do enough all game and he's not very proactive, fairly passive mostly. Maybe he'll get better with age.

10 hours ago, brady1993 said:

That's the totality of it though. We look like we've worked on set pieces a bit, I'll concede that but even then we aren't scoring from them really. But we don't look like we have a plan of progressing the ball, creating space creating chances or any combination play. 

I mean now you are just exaggerating, this squad isn't great but we've had worse. Similarly we've had worse attacking players on paper and done more them. If players were performing at a level they'd shown previously I'd perhaps buy it was the squad but they've played better almost universally.

‘On paper’ doesn’t cut it. On the pitch that count, players aren’t good enough. Squad isn’t good enough. Too many players are inconsistent. Not enough quality and too many average performances. Can’t happen in this league. Too many players who can’t shoot well or don’t gamble on getting into the box. Not sure if I can remember a worse squad available but I concede injuries have added to this. If we had everyone fit including loanees think we would be in a much better state but we’ve had bad luck with injuries all season. Still think we have weaker squad than previous years though.

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who? The Prem 11 pointers were obviously better. So which squad and attacking players?

Iv watched Derby for circa 33 years ..

we’ve had good and bad 

the 11 pointers we’re terrible and way out of their depth .. but that’s the prem so not the worst 

for me the only side that comes close was Paul Jewell’s (revamped) side when we dropped out of the premiership and he decided we needed to shake the losing mentality and bring in 142 new players who were in the main absolute dirdge 

clough then picked that lot apart and the process was painful ..all while the club was cutting back 

that transitional side  .. that side for me ran this lot as close as I can think 

but for me this lot are worse 

Half of the squad won’t be hear next season and quite frankly I not only question their obvious lack of ability but their lack of desire, couple that with a v inexperienced manager still learning and making mistakes and for me this lot rank as the worst we’ve had in my time