vs Swansea (A) - Matchday Thread

Inverurie Ram

Get to know your team mate a bit  better? There are 2 games to go of a 46 game season. Surely by now they know each other, if not what the hell do they do everyday. Unfortunately the more WR speaks as a manager, the more I lose faith in him. 

45 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Get to know your team mate a bit  better? There are 2 games to go of a 46 game season. Surely by now they know each other, if not what the hell do they do everyday. Unfortunately the more WR speaks as a manager, the more I lose faith in him. 

A lot have left but, I wouldn't exactly say we've had a lot come in. 

Mengi, Edmundson, Baningime, Roberts and Gregory since Jan. Byrne, Marshall and Jozwiak since the summer. The rest have had at least 2 seasons.

Memgi and Gregory are out for the season, and Baningime also has a knock(?). So only 5 players who joined this season will be in Wales?

57 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Don't be so harsh. We're the first team ever to start pre-season two games before the end of the previous season. Rooney is a pioneer of the game.

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A lot have left but, I wouldn't exactly say we've had a lot come in. 

Mengi, Edmundson, Baningime, Roberts and Gregory since Jan. Byrne, Marshall and Jozwiak since the summer. The rest have had at least 2 seasons.

Memgi and Gregory are out for the season, and Baningime also has a knock(?). So only 5 players who joined this season will be in Wales?

Even if we have had a few in and out, they have been around the squad day in day out since January so should hardly be strangers. I found it an odd thing to say to justify the trip. Anyway I guess none of us really care as long as it does the job and we get something Saturday.  COYR ?

I still can't understand how our team is performing so poorly.

On paper, we shouldn't be in this position.

Marshall and Roos are fine at Championship level.

Byrne and Buchanan and Forsyth are, at worst, mid-level Championship full backs.

Clarke is a good championship player, and whilst we've struggled with centre backs, Wisdom, Edmundson, Mengi are all capable at this level.

Bird, Knight, Sibley, Shinnie - all midfielders who are, or should be, or indeed, just last season, *WERE*, performing better than mid-table (and that's excluding Bielik who obviously lifted everyone).

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but Lawrence is a good player at this level (admittedly he has quiet days, but the same could be said of a lot of creative players). 

Waghorn has had a bad season but he's a proven player at Championship level.

Jozwiak is a full Polish International, for Christ sake.

Roberts is a good player

Kazim is a perfectly serviceable player.

I just don't understand how it's come to this!

Anyway, for what it's worth:

4-1-3-2

Marshall

Byrne

Edmundson

Clarke

Forsyth

Shinnie

Lawrence

Sibley

Jozwiak

Kazim

Roberts

7 minutes ago, erathirea said:

Byrne and Buchanan and Forsyth are, at worst, mid-level Championship full backs.

Clarke is a good championship player, and whilst we've struggled with centre backs, Wisdom, Edmundson, Mengi are all capable at this level.

Bird, Knight, Sibley, Shinnie - all midfielders who are, or should be, or indeed, just last season, *WERE*, performing better than mid-table (and that's excluding Bielik who obviously lifted everyone).

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but Lawrence is a good player at this level (admittedly he has quiet days, but the same could be said of a lot of creative players). 

Roberts is a good player

4-1-3-2

Marshall

Byrne

Edmundson

Clarke

Forsyth

Shinnie

Lawrence

Sibley

Jozwiak

Kazim

Roberts

Apart from the obvious of players underperforming, I think it has also been down to squad size. Very thin squad overall, bolstered in January not helped with injuries before and after then either. Not many options on our bench to change a match. Also, I think a lot of the team is young and needs more experience around them- there is naivety sometimes in passes played or positioning. Seldom have we seen players making good runs off the ball, options etc and overall drive to win the ball back having lost it (ironically seen more of this in flashes recently in my opinion). 
Also, lost quality of a couple years ago - Tomori, Keogh, Mount, Wilson, Martin and maybe players like Waghorn / Lawrence flourish more when they aren’t the main men. 
I would guess off the field things could have affected performances - not paid on time out of contract etc. And of course no fans. This division is ruthless. You get a few players not at 100 per cent and your team will struggle like we are finding out. 

8 minutes ago, LondonRam2 said:

Referee on Sat will be Darren Bond.  If the name seems familiar it's because he's the ******* who sent Waghorn off after 20 mins against Preston a few months ago when we went on to lose 1-0.

To be fair, it was a clear red so the only ****** in that situation was Waghorn for the awful, braindead challenge in that area of the pitch.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm going to change my approach to this game and be positive.

We played Swansea off the park not so long ago and we'll do it again on Saturday.

Too right. Mind you, they were on the swings too long.

It's going to be hugely interesting to see how we play Saturday off the back of this bonding trip.  There's obviously a case to argue that the players should know all about each other now. But! I read this as a chance to get everyone together, get them a bit more relaxed, away from some of the day to day pressures, get them team hugging, all chanting "you can do this" {accompanied by little fist pumps of course}.  Knowing Derby it'll all be for nothing, but it could on the other hand be a masterstroke. ?

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

To be fair they don’t look like they have met each other before when they  are on the pitch..

3 hours ago, erathirea said:

Roberts is a good player

4-1-3-2

Marshall

Byrne

Edmundson

Clarke

Forsyth

Shinnie

Lawrence

Sibley

Jozwiak

Kazim

Roberts

The first thing to recognise is that in terms of player ability the championship is a relatively flat division. I'd wager there is a bigger difference in skill level between 1st and 8th in the premier league than there is between 1st and 24th. Players also in this division tend to come in two broad categories; "Very good at a few things and bad at a few others" or "Pretty average across the board" What this means is good coaching, a clear plan to get the most out of the players you have and cover their weakness, consistency, fitness, confidence and momentum all can make massive impacts in a club's position. There are countless examples in this division of a team looking like get relegated at one moment only for a few factors to tip their way and suddenly be surging up the table with almost 0 changes in squad. And the reverse of it is very true in that a few factors going against you can very quickly spiral; there has been more than one talented squads get threatened by relegation (or relegated) in this division.

This squad in my opinion is a midtable squad. It's one where I could see the right coach coming in and getting more out of it to push for a top 6 finish. Alternatively bad coaching, questionable tactics, tactical and selection inconsistency, low confidence alongside injuries to key players at key times makes it not hard to envision how we get where we are. Typically how you get out of such a rut is a change in management and it's very rare to see a manager to turn something like the run we've been around into something successful.

3 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Apart from the obvious of players underperforming, I think it has also been down to squad size. Very thin squad overall, bolstered in January not helped with injuries before and after then either. Not many options on our bench to change a match. Also, I think a lot of the team is young and needs more experience around them- there is naivety sometimes in passes played or positioning. Seldom have we seen players making good runs off the ball, options etc and overall drive to win the ball back having lost it (ironically seen more of this in flashes recently in my opinion). 
Also, lost quality of a couple years ago - Tomori, Keogh, Mount, Wilson, Martin and maybe players like Waghorn / Lawrence flourish more when they aren’t the main men. 
I would guess off the field things could have affected performances - not paid on time out of contract etc. And of course no fans. This division is ruthless. You get a few players not at 100 per cent and your team will struggle like we are finding out. 

I actually don't think a lot of this is down to experience, I think it's down to coaching.