vs Swansea (A) - Matchday Thread

I know how to get the result we want: threaten them that if they do another "Preston" or Birmingham they will have to drink every drink for the rest of their lives through MacDonald's paper straws. And that applies to both the team and the management committee!

Not got many fit options to change things with, so I’d go with:

Marshall 

Edmundson Clarke Cashin

Byrne Knight Shinnie Buchanan 

Sibley

? Kazim-Richards

Was hoping Roos would make a difference in goal, but he still looked shaky on crosses, so I’d bring the experience of Marshall back. Forsyth is never a CB, so I’d give Cashin a go to prove the young lads are better than the senior ones. Lawrence was poor again and isn’t providing enough of a threat, so Sibley gets a chance to provide something different. Waghorn isn’t a striker and was dreadful against Birmingham, but we don’t really have any fit options to partner Kazim-Richards, so no idea who to play there.

I think Swansea may have to field a strong line-up, the EFL will not be happy if they field an understrength side (integrity of the competition etc). They also do have something still to play for as they probably would prefer not to face Brentford in the SF of the play-offs. Their final game is at Watford so they can afford to rest & rotate the team without any complaints.

I hope we can stop our poor run, checking the last time we lost 5 in a row, we halted the run with a 2-1 win at Preston who were in free-fall though we nearly chucked it away in the final minutes.

I'm hoping Swansea may play with one mind already on the play-offs and simply go through the motions. I'm going for a 0-0, as we can't score though on a positive note we are on a good run H2H at Swansea despite  them being one of our bogey teams. I'm also hoping we may get a draw of some sort - of course we need a win at this stage of the season. If we can hang in there, we may get something late on if we go behind for instance.

2 hours ago, Asanovic70 said:

I think Swansea may have to field a strong line-up, the EFL will not be happy if they field an understrength side (integrity of the competition etc). They also do have something still to play for as they probably would prefer not to face Brentford in the SF of the play-offs. Their final game is at Watford so they can afford to rest & rotate the team without any complaints.

I hope we can stop our poor run, checking the last time we lost 5 in a row, we halted the run with a 2-1 win at Preston who were in free-fall though we nearly chucked it away in the final minutes.

I'm hoping Swansea may play with one mind already on the play-offs and simply go through the motions. I'm going for a 0-0, as we can't score though on a positive note we are on a good run H2H at Swansea despite  them being one of our bogey teams. I'm also hoping we may get a draw of some sort - of course we need a win at this stage of the season. If we can hang in there, we may get something late on if we go behind for instance.

Do the EFL actually have any powers regarding managers picking a "weaker team" , how do you even quantify that? Number of minutes played over the season for the players brought in , amount of changes?

14 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

Do the EFL actually have any powers regarding managers picking a "weaker team" , how do you even quantify that? Number of minutes played over the season for the players brought in , amount of changes?

Good point, be very difficult to prove, surely they could argue a number of players are tired etc...

13 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Not got many fit options to change things with, so I’d go with:

Marshall 

Edmundson Clarke Cashin

Byrne Knight Shinnie Buchanan 

Sibley

? Kazim-Richards

Was hoping Roos would make a difference in goal, but he still looked shaky on crosses, so I’d bring the experience of Marshall back. Forsyth is never a CB, so I’d give Cashin a go to prove the young lads are better than the senior ones. Lawrence was poor again and isn’t providing enough of a threat, so Sibley gets a chance to provide something different. Waghorn isn’t a striker and was dreadful against Birmingham, but we don’t really have any fit options to partner Kazim-Richards, so no idea who to play there.

I'd hope to put andre back in if he's fit (even though he hasn't been great) because I have the same worry about Forsyth at CB.  I'd get Roberts and Jozwiak  in with the hope of countering quickly with some dribbling and link up with the wingbacks. Ask knight to get up close to Kazim as often as he can. Roos not totally convincing,but Marshall's shotstopping has been worrying for a few weeks, so I'd keep him in.

Main thing for me is just work on the fecking set pieces like we did during that good patch a few months ago and try to get some goals that way. Why have we stopped looking a threat from corners recently?

Roos

Wisdom Edmundsson Clarke

Byrne Knight Shinnie Buchannan

Roberts Kazim Jozwiak

So there's my thoughts. But honestly it's hard to picture any line-up we put out getting a result in this one. Sorry to be so negative but my optimism has more or less abandoned me.

4 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

I'd hope to put andre back in if he's fit (even though he hasn't been great) because I have the same worry about Forsyth at CB.  I'd get Roberts and Jozwiak  in with the hope of countering quickly with some dribbling and link up with the wingbacks. Ask knight to get up close to Kazim as often as he can. Roos not totally convincing,but Marshall's shotstopping has been worrying for a few weeks, so I'd keep him in.

Main thing for me is just work on the fecking set pieces like we did during that good patch a few months ago and try to get some goals that way. Why have we stopped looking a threat from corners recently?

Roos

Wisdom Edmundsson Clarke

Byrne Knight Shinnie Buchannan

Roberts Kazim Jozwiak

So there's my thoughts. But honestly it's hard to picture any line-up we put out getting a result in this one. Sorry to be so negative but my optimism has more or less abandoned me.

I think Fozzy actually did ok v Brum, probably go with your back 3 but Fozzy at fullback. The Shinnie/Knight partnership worries me and is a bit negative. Having watched Swansea on Sunday I don’t think parking the bus will work. I would play as many offensive players as we can, including Sibbo and go out to try and win the game 👍

3 hours ago, Asanovic70 said:

we are on a good run H2H at Swansea despite  them being one of our bogey teams. I'm also hoping we may get a draw of some sort - of course we need a win at this stage of the season. If we can hang in there, we may get something late on if we go behind for instance.

Bogey team?? We haven't lost to Swansea since 2010 and only 3 times since 1983. So pretty much the opposite of a bogey team then.

I agree we can get something from this game.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think Fozzy actually did ok v Brum, probably go with your back 3 but Fozzy at fullback. The Shinnie/Knight partnership worries me and is a bit negative. Having watched Swansea on Sunday I don’t think parking the bus will work. I would play as many offensive players as we can, including Sibbo and go out to try and win the game 👍

I did consider Sibley in place of Knight to be honest, I'd be interested to see him and Shinnie together. It's a real shame that so many of the good points of Knight's game seem to have lessened in recent months, his bravery in joining the attack and driving us forward has faded a lot from where it was before. 

Just think it might be too much for Louis to start at cm for the 1st team at such a tense point in the season maybe but I wouldn't be against it

2 hours ago, SFox1993 said:

They brought a rule in a couple of years back for situations like this. I can't remember the specifics, but I think it's something like 10 players in the squad also have to have been in the squad for the previous game. I don't know whether that number will have increased with the larger benches this season.

8 minutes ago, jcidaho said:

What's the deal with Stretton or Cresswell? CKR looks knackered, and not mentally right tbh given the way he didn't celebrate when he scored.

Err Stretton has been out for the season injured, for a while now. Cresswell probably isn't good enough. We've plenty of Academy players struggling already.