Festival and Gig Tickets

Bob Mash

On 19/11/2022 at 18:49, NG2Ram said:

First gig in ages, Amyl and the Sniffers at the Leadmill tonight.

How was it? I must admit I find them a bit formulaic, like they've set out to tick all the boxes. I hope it was good fun but I fear it would be a bit samey.

David Rodigan on Friday - pull up!!!!

On 26/11/2022 at 20:59, Rev said:

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott next for me, with support from Billy Bragg.

I'll probably come out of the gig and firebomb the local Tory HQ, if only I could afford the petrol.

Is that on Thursday in Birmingham? I’m going as well. Should be a great week, I’m seeing The Cure on Wednesday.

49 minutes ago, Kinder said:

How was it last night? Real shame Jacqui was missing, how did it sound without her?

I wouldn’t know, I took the offered refund! 

Only booked the tickets last week, just as something to pass the time, so didn't seem worth it for half the act.

Went to Paul Heaton at the NEC tonight. Jacqui Abbott was missing again but the band filled in. The drummer sang a lot of her parts and the bassist sounded uncannily like her. They did an amazing job, it was a superb show. It would have been better with Jacqui but the best compliment I can make is that she wasn’t really missed.

I’m a massive Paul Heaton fan anyway, so I was really happy to see him singing more. They played a lot of Housemartins tracks which was right up my street.

I also saw The Cure on Wednesday so I’m having a pretty good week! They played for 2 hours 45 which is hardcore considering Robert Smith is in his 60s. His voice was going at the end, the crowd sang Boys Don’t Cry, but he sounded brilliant until then.

The set was a proper dig into the band’s anthology. Not enough Disintegration for me but very very good.

It was really interesting to see these guys back to back. They’re both in my top 3 bands - if I was seeing Maiden tomorrow night my pants would explode. I have to say, I enjoyed Paul Heaton a lot more than The Cure. Might have been partly because I was right at the front tonight and sitting half way back last night, but Paul Heaton was so much more uplifting. There was loads more crowd participation / chatting. I absolutely love The Cure, but having seen them live a few times I wonder if I enjoy them more listening on my own, through headphones, having a bit of a cry. I still think Disintegration is my favourite album, but give me Paul Heaton for a night out any day of the week.

Both gigs were brilliant and it’s not really fair to compare them, they’re very different artists, but I had a lot more fun tonight. Also, Paul & Jacqui capped their tickets at £30 while The Cure’s were £75…

7 hours ago, Kinder said:

Went to Paul Heaton at the NEC tonight. Jacqui Abbott was missing again but the band filled in. The drummer sang a lot of her parts and the bassist sounded uncannily like her. They did an amazing job, it was a superb show. It would have been better with Jacqui but the best compliment I can make is that she wasn’t really missed.

I’m a massive Paul Heaton fan anyway, so I was really happy to see him singing more. They played a lot of Housemartins tracks which was right up my street.

I also saw The Cure on Wednesday so I’m having a pretty good week! They played for 2 hours 45 which is hardcore considering Robert Smith is in his 60s. His voice was going at the end, the crowd sang Boys Don’t Cry, but he sounded brilliant until then.

The set was a proper dig into the band’s anthology. Not enough Disintegration for me but very very good.

It was really interesting to see these guys back to back. They’re both in my top 3 bands - if I was seeing Maiden tomorrow night my pants would explode. I have to say, I enjoyed Paul Heaton a lot more than The Cure. Might have been partly because I was right at the front tonight and sitting half way back last night, but Paul Heaton was so much more uplifting. There was loads more crowd participation / chatting. I absolutely love The Cure, but having seen them live a few times I wonder if I enjoy them more listening on my own, through headphones, having a bit of a cry. I still think Disintegration is my favourite album, but give me Paul Heaton for a night out any day of the week.

Both gigs were brilliant and it’s not really fair to compare them, they’re very different artists, but I had a lot more fun tonight. Also, Paul & Jacqui capped their tickets at £30 while The Cure’s were £75…

Saw The Cure last night. Was front row but bladder couldn’t sustain 3 hours ?

They were great but it’s a show for diehard Cure fans. Lots of brilliant music but with the majority of the faves at the end.

Robert’s voice had recovered to his great relief.

Thought The Twilight Sad were a great support band.

45 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Saw The Cure last night. Was front row but bladder couldn’t sustain 3 hours ?

They were great but it’s a show for diehard Cure fans. Lots of brilliant music but with the majority of the faves at the end.

Robert’s voice had recovered to his great relief.

Thought The Twilight Sad were a great support band.

Yeah, I’d agree with that. My missus only likes the hits so I went on my own and I don’t think she’d have enjoyed most of it!

Must have been brilliant at the front. I missed the support band but a mate said they were good. I did watch Billy Bragg supporting last night though and was really surprised, he was great.

Thanks @Kinder and @Anag Ram, I feel slightly less gutted now.

We actually made a profit on the tickets so I'm taking her to Paul Ainmsworth's restaurant in Padstow and will blow the entire £250 on a meal that will probably take as long as the concert.

No music on the horizon for me just comedy with Gary Delaney this week and Frankie Boyle and Jim Jeffries in March.