Festival and Gig Tickets

Bob Mash

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

At the Mutations Festival in Brighton this week. Been some great bands on so far. Last night saw Bodega (among others), an American punk band from New York City. Fantastic sound, and enjoyable romp. I mention it as they are up in Nottingham on Sunday. I would recommend.

I really like that!

5 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Looked up for tickets for Wet Leg on their tour. £59 standing, £100 sitting. I mean, I like the album but that is just taking the pizzle.

The costs of touring and putting on a gig have gone through the roof since Covid.

Even so, that does look expensive for a one album act who've just broke through. 

Is that an arena show?

As a comparison, I've recently shelled out £22 for Sports Team, £45 for Suede, £80 for Arctic Monkeys, and £22 for Hayseed Dixie.

Edited by Rev
Comparison

14 hours ago, Rev said:

The costs of touring and putting on a gig have gone through the roof since Covid.

Even so, that does look expensive for a one album act who've just broke through. 

Is that an arena show?

As a comparison, I've recently shelled out £22 for Sports Team, £45 for Suede, £80 for Arctic Monkeys, and £22 for Hayseed Dixie.

As you seem to be a regular, and I'm about ten years out of practice, I'll ask a question if I may .

Do you buy tickets through Ticketmaster? Do you ever fail to get tickets? I seem to see loads of people complaining about the site. Sells out in two minutes, then they all pop up as available on resale etc. At double the price.  Or being in virtual queue and getting kicked out just as it's your turn etc. 

Do you have any buying tips?

Edited by ketteringram

4 hours ago, ketteringram said:

As you seem to be a regular, and I'm about ten years out of practice, I'll ask a question if I may .

Do you buy tickets through Ticketmaster? Do you ever fail to get tickets? I seem to see loads of people complaining about the site. Sells out in two minutes, then they all pop up as available on resale etc. At double the price.  Or being in virtual queue and getting kicked out just as it's your turn etc. 

Ticketmaster are a nightmare. 

If you're not in the pre-sale category, you might as well not bother. 

I tried to get Spingsteen tickets, logged in on the dot, and the only available tickets were well over £400, for a standing ticket.

For the Arctic Monkeys gig, I'd bought the vinyl just to get presale access, it took about half an hour to eventually buy some face value tickets. 

They claim they have the dynamic pricing to deter scalpers, but other companies seem to be able to sidestep them without becoming scalpers themselves, it's pure greed.

The artists themselves need to take a good long look in the mirror when using Ticketmaster, imo.

Especially Bruce, who's long claimed to put on a Hollywood show at working man's prices. 

On 05/11/2022 at 14:41, BaaLocks said:

Looked up for tickets for Wet Leg on their tour. £59 standing, £100 sitting. I mean, I like the album but that is just taking the pizzle.

You would be being dry humped at £59 buddy. They are cashing in, as I don’t think they have much longevity. Saw them in April, and they hired a good team to produce a credible album for them. Live, they were poor. My ticket was bought for me but I can’t think it would be much more than £15/18.  Just had a great 3 nights in Brighton where for £80 I saw Pip Blom, Do Nothing (who clashed with WH Lung unfortunately), Pussy Riot, Bodega, Warmduscher, Squid, The Murder Capital, Priestgate, Egyptian Blue, Black Country New Road and Shame.

8 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I am no expert on this, as my son does most of the work getting tickets for me as we have a mutual interest, but I know he uses https://dice.fm/about  He often gets tickets from this route, where more and more concertgoers are using such platforms to sell at face value and exclude touts, and secondary corporate marketplaces who are taking advantage.

6 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I am no expert on this, as my son does most of the work getting tickets for me as we have a mutual interest, but I know he uses https://dice.fm/about  He often gets tickets from this route, where more and more concertgoers are using such platforms to sell at face value and exclude touts, and secondary corporate marketplaces who are taking advantage.

How were Black Country, New Road?

The record of last year I thought,  but with a new line up and songs I'd be interested to know your thoughts?

27 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Thanks. But is that just people who bought from say , Ticket master, but for whatever reason, aren't going? Surely can't be that many available . 

Is it generally safe to buy stuff being resold? As in, will they be genuine, and as I wouldn't be the original buyer, would I get in ok?

21 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Thanks. But is that just people who bought from say , Ticket master, but for whatever reason, aren't going? Surely can't be that many available . 

Is it generally safe to buy stuff being resold? As in, will they be genuine, and as I wouldn't be the original buyer, would I get in ok?

In the case of resales, they'll always be an official site for resales, who will offer the same protections you'd expect when buying new, and should never offer tickets above face value. 

2 hours ago, Rev said:

How were Black Country, New Road?

The record of last year I thought,  but with a new line up and songs I'd be interested to know your thoughts?

Mmmh.  In truth Steve I am not a big fan of the album/band, so I am not really unbiased in my opinion.  George thinks they are brilliant, but Isaac leaving has created a large Isaac shaped hole for sure. Their material last night, I think in its entirety, was not on the album, and a few of the songs were an ode to him. It was good theatre, and well played, but for me too much like a theatre production if you know what I am saying. I was joshing with the boy that he had brought me to the indie equivalent of Frozen. Shame followed, and thawed me out.

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

You would be being dry humped at £59 buddy. They are cashing in, as I don’t think they have much longevity. Saw them in April, and they hired a good team to produce a credible album for them. Live, they were poor. My ticket was bought for me but I can’t think it would be much more than £15/18.  Just had a great 3 nights in Brighton where for £80 I saw Pip Blom, Do Nothing (who clashed with WH Lung unfortunately), Pussy Riot, Bodega, Warmduscher, Squid, The Murder Capital, Priestgate, Egyptian Blue, Black Country New Road and Shame.

Ignore me, it was Viagogo I was looking at - and then I didn't engage brain before posting. I think they will burn fast, burn bright as a band. I liked their album, they supported Idles on some of their tour dates but it does feel like there's not much to follow. Would love to be wrong, they do have something, but it's tough to be quirky on repeat.

Edited by BaaLocks

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Ignore me, it was Viagogo I was looking at - and then I didn't engage brain before posting. I think they will burn fast, burn bright as a band. I liked their album, they supported Idles on some of their tour dates but it does feel like there's not much to follow. Would love to be wrong, they do have something, but it's tough to be quirky on repeat.

Supporting Pulp on tour next year, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...