Would a spell in League One actually be a good thing?

IslandExile

Would a spell in League One actually be a good thing?  

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Since day 1 I've said Roos is a very good keeper at this level. His performances last season were due to the fans demoralising him due to Wembley - the exact same happened to Keogh, who also bounced back the following season.

Jozwiak will want to be in the Poland squad for the World Cup. He won't do that by playing in L1 and I wouldn't hold anything against him for moving on to boost those chances

I fully agree. Roos was bought by McLaren and Steele I believe so clearly Steele saw something there. I believe if Roos had stayed under Steele he would be a very good keeper now.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is this possible in real life rather than a football video game? Where's the money coming from!

If the club has new owners, they are going to want promotion first season, if Derby are relegated.

Effectively then sacking Rooney is a cost but surely more than one season in league one isn't something they would want

Look at how much the new owners are likely to spend on the club, paying off Rooney is small amount compared to that

6 minutes ago, Oldben said:

If the club has new owners, they are going to want promotion first season, if Derby are relegated.

Effectively then sacking Rooney is a cost but surely more than one season in league one isn't something they would want

Look at how much the new owners are likely to spend on the club, paying off Rooney is small amount compared to that

Lol and buying the players - with a wage cap, on the current squad too? Who's the manager that will guarentee promotion - Sunderland's manager? Ipswich's manager? ?

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol and buying the players - with a wage cap, on the current squad too? Who's the manager that will guarentee promotion - Sunderland's manager? Ipswich's manager? ?

@RoyMac5 didn't you advocate Paul Cook for the manager's job at Derby before it was given to Rooney?

I can’t answer the OP it makes me feel unwell. 

GP says it doesn’t matter as long as the stadium is full and we are scoring goals. I will recover quickly in those circumstances , even if the food and medicine are unfamiliar and taste a bit off. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Since day 1 I've said Roos is a very good keeper at this level. His performances last season were due to the fans demoralising him due to Wembley - the exact same happened to Keogh, who also bounced back the following season.

Certainly doesn't help when fans were jeering every time he went to catch/punch a cross. Or fans ironically cheering when he caught it. No coincidence when fans aren't there to jeer him, he's done well and made no mistakes...

4 minutes ago, falconram said:

No it won't,any body who thinks it will is in cuckoo land,  financially we are screwed if it happens, things will get worse before they get better. 

Much worse, wouldn't be surprised if we went into administration cos I bet our 'buyer' would pull out.

Edited by RoyMac5

We need some sort of reset but it's difficult to see how relegation would help. Our already terrible finances would look worse, and our few better players would leave on the cheap - including the much-vaunted academy group who were supposed to be the 'point' of our long-term strategy. Who would be left? How would we pay for a rebuild? How long would that take? 

It all looks pretty grim right now but it would be better if we could somehow escape. It's going to be a long climb back and L1 would make it that much longer. 

On the attendances I think ours would be strong if we played well as I imagine plenty of people are chomping at the bit post covid to get back to the ground. Everything else though would be a nightmare and the club would be gutted in almost every way imaginable from the academy to the first team to staff being made redundant it'd genuinely be horrible. I have 0 faith in us getting out at the first or second attempt which means the shine of the 3rd division quickly wears off. 

6 hours ago, falconram said:

If we do administration will follow, 

I don't see it myself. The wage bill will drop severely for the 3rd successive year. A number of in contract players will definitely be moved on for cash (Marshall, Byrne, Shinnie, Lawrence, Jozwiak). At the very least, I'd expect us to make a cash profit next season.

Time to actually go back to building a team around the academy graduates, rather than use them to fill gaps around the past it experienced players.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't see it myself. The wage bill will drop severely for the 3rd successive year. A number of in contract players will definitely be moved on for cash (Marshall, Byrne, Shinnie, Lawrence, Jozwiak). At the very least, I'd expect us to make a cash profit next season.

Time to actually go back to building a team around the academy graduates, rather than use them to fill gaps around the past it experienced players.

Keogh not paid off, Cocu not paid off, attendance down, TV revenue down, if we don't go into admin I would be amazed.

MM cannot carry on funding this anymore