Relegation watch

Spanish

3 hours ago, Kernow said:

@TigerTedd a little harsh on Hull seeing as this is their first season down there and they're currently top! But other than that, I'd generally agree.

League One would be "exciting" for some because we'd face a lot of new teams, new grounds for many people if we can go etc., however it really wouldn't be worth the potential long-term setbacks. We'd lose out financially and be forced to sell our best players and probably replace with lower quality. Our best hope would be to runaway with the title and use the momentum to progress in the Championship too, but that sort of thing doesn't happen too often, especially nowadays.

You watch Hull win the premier league in 5 years, and we’ll still be in the championship. 

On 21/01/2021 at 07:20, Tamworthram said:

It’s way too early. Why draw the line at Barnsley? Preston have only got one point more and Bristol two with just less than half the season left.

Ok stick them in the battle, but my opinion I don't think Preston and Bristol would be in trouble once we get down to the lst 6 games or so.

We need a nice little run of form. 4 or 5 wins from the next 5 games. Its not going to happen but it'd be nice to get away from the bottom three and put some points between us

League One would be disastrous for us. We'd probably stay down there 

On 23/01/2021 at 07:11, G-Ram said:

We need a nice little run of form. 4 or 5 wins from the next 5 games. Its not going to happen but it'd be nice to get away from the bottom three and put some points between us

League One would be disastrous for us. We'd probably stay down there 

You're probably right but I can't help thinking that we've been having groundhog day seasons for a while now, playing virtually the same teams and not quite being good enough to go up. 

Perhaps we need to go down to give us the opportunity to develop younger players and to rebuild a winning mentality. 

We would lose the likes of Bielik and Jozwiak but to be honest we probably won't keep them long anyway. 

I'm in the camp of what will be, will be. 

I am confident however that if we don't lose too many from the current squad, and we avoid administration and points deduction, we will survive! 

30 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

You're probably right but I can't help thinking that we've been having groundhog day seasons for a while now, playing virtually the same teams and not quite being good enough to go up. 

Perhaps we need to go down to give us the opportunity to develop younger players and to rebuild a winning mentality. 

We would lose the likes of Bielik and Jozwiak but to be honest we probably won't keep them long anyway. 

I'm in the camp of what will be, will be. 

I am confident however that if we don't lose too many from the current squad, and we avoid administration and points deduction, we will survive! 

I've held that opinion for many years in that we have never had a reset after the year that cannot be mentioned but I think it is too late now.  We've been on a steady decline for years and there was always something to provide a rosy view.  Bit like hitting 125 in golf but sinking a 20 footer on the last, guess which shot you remember?  I think is it a bit romantic to think of an heroic relegation followed by walking the league and putting everybody to sword in the lower division on a triumphal return that is the springboard to back to back promotions.  Bet that's what Sunderland thought though.

7 hours ago, Spanish said:

couple of interesting games tonight with a lot of pressure on them

Coventry19:00Sheff Wed

Middlesbrough19:00Rotherham

Wendy draw, Rotherham lose I think

I think interesting is an understatement 

The boro Rotherham one is freaking massive for us 

8 hours ago, Spanish said:

couple of interesting games tonight with a lot of pressure on them

Coventry19:00Sheff Wed

Middlesbrough19:00Rotherham

Wendy draw, Rotherham lose I think

I hate hoping for a Boro win but that is the cold hard fact of the matter. Rotherham lose tonight then again to us and we’ll be putting a bit of daylight between us. Happy days.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

I've held that opinion for many years in that we have never had a reset after the year that cannot be mentioned but I think it is too late now.  We've been on a steady decline for years and there was always something to provide a rosy view.  Bit like hitting 125 in golf but sinking a 20 footer on the last, guess which shot you remember?  I think is it a bit romantic to think of an heroic relegation followed by walking the league and putting everybody to sword in the lower division on a triumphal return that is the springboard to back to back promotions.  Bet that's what Sunderland thought though.

Thinking back to our third division days in the mid 80s, we were expected to come straight back up and finished 7th. Luckily we had a top manager who got us up the next year, but not sure if Arthur would have survived that first disappointing season in modern times.

2 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Thinking back to our third division days in the mid 80s, we were expected to come straight back up and finished 7th. Luckily we had a top manager who got us up the next year, but not sure if Arthur would have survived that first disappointing season in modern times.

you're probably right.  I think social would have crucified him if that was today.

With nearly half a season to go I still believe in the long game, rather than hoping three specific teams fall away from us and everyone else. Mainly I hope almost every Championship game we're not involved in ends up a draw, reducing the overall points available to all the other teams. There'll be lots of twists and turns before the end of the season. If Boro lose to Rotherham and we go on a run that yields 2 points per game from hereon, maybe it's the result that allows us to sneak into the playoffs?

This is a crazy unpredictable league. Rotherham’s scoreline at the moment proving it. Can’t say this is one that should be a banker and then we’re going to get blown away because they’re fighting for promotion. As long as we continue to pick up points at the rate we are under Rooney we will be fine.

But to do that we can’t really afford to lose any more players.

Edited by BramcoteRam84