Relegation watch

Spanish

10 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

I started in the 3rd divison (Trevor Christie was my favourite player) if we end up being there “so what”.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Once a ram, always a ram.

Indeed, some of of my favourite times those couple of years in Div 3 ?

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

you make the assumption that being relegated ends all the other problems, not convinced it does.  Reduced income, the sale of our better players, the end of the academy?, not having a ground?, admin?, 12 point penalty?   I really don't want to toy with relegation because there is a threat to the future of the club 

#DramaLlama llama GIF by chuber channel

10 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

I started in the 3rd divison (Trevor Christie was my favourite player) if we end up being there “so what”.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Once a ram, always a ram.

I would happily support the club in whatever division they find themselves in, but the club may very well not survive such a drastic cut in income. 

41 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I would happily support the club in whatever division they find themselves in, but the club may very well not survive such a drastic cut in income. 

Had some of my happiest times following the Rams in the old third division, being the big club with big away support at little grounds was fun but I don't think it will be a positive thing for the club....

17 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Had some of my happiest times following the Rams in the old third division, being the big club with big away support at little grounds was fun but I don't think it will be a positive thing for the club....

We would lose so much revenue (if we actually had any at the moment) if we drop down. We'd have to meet the salary caps down there as well (not necessarily a bad thing) and I assume there must be some kind of grace period for relegated teams and I know we've managed to bring the wage bill down a lot since then, but in 17-18 our wage bill was £46 mill. League one salary cap is £2.5 mill in total for the entire squad. I didn't fully understand it, but existing contracts get capped at an average I think, but still a very small number to meet with any new signings

Edited by GenBr

8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We would lose so much revenue (if we actually had any at the moment) if we drop down. We'd have to meet the salary caps down there as well (not necessarily a bad thing) and I assume there must be some kind of grace period for relegated teams and I know we've managed to bring the wage bill down a lot since then, but in 17-18 our wage bill was £46 mill. League one salary cap is £2.5 mill in total for the entire squad. I didn't fully understand it, but existing contracts get capped at an average I think, but still a very small number to meet with any new signings

Presumably, if we somehow do get relegated, new signings would be academy graduates and loans. Free agents on the equivalent to 2.4k pw should be easy enough as well.. especially if you put in a nice promotion bonus or wage rise.

28 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Couple of things - I think it's a sad part of football today, we spend a lot of time talking about finances, I guess because so much more information is available. It was a bad day when people (and Kieran Mcguire) discovered companies house and decided they could add 2+2 and get 17

Secondly, in the same way that the tens of millions that a club gets for reaching the PL is rather overstated is it is basically all (and more) consumed by salaries and transfers, the same is true for relegation. We'd be losing players, so be it....

45 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Me too, simpler times and all that! Big away followings, new ground and we won more often, what's not to like?

I think relegation equals a loss in revenue of about £8m, equivalent to losing players on a combined wage of 150k pw.

Carson, Wisdom, Davies, Clarke, Malone, Jozefzoon, Waghorn and Kazim currently set to leave at the end of the season. You'd imagine Bielik, Lawrence and Jozwiak will be snapped up on relegation. That's got to be 150k wages off the books? Plus transfer fees coming in as a bonus.

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Probably more than the previous 15 years to be honest. 

Really?

30 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Me too, simpler times and all that! Big away followings, new ground and we won more often, what's not to like?

Be careful what you wish for.

This could be us!

"I’ll be honest and own up to being one of those who said that. I felt completely alienated from the club and at a loss really when Moyes, Bain and Byrne etc were pulling the strings and saw relegation as the only way to restore the club I loved. I even refused to attend games as a consequence.

With hindsight I should have anticipated the gross incompetence and mismanagement would continue into the championship with disastrous consequences. I came back to games after the ownership changed and would still attend now (I don’t think behind the scenes is as badly mismanaged as the Bain/short days) and we have youth team players around the squad which is good. But Christ this is proving a hard slog to get back to the premier league and see the cultural changes in the club I had yearned for 4/5 years ago or so."

More of the same here (although the title suggests otherwise, they are posts from today):

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/would-rather-be-relegated-from-premier-league-and-win-most-weeks-in-championship.1539830/

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Narrowly avoiding relegation on the last day of the season (when they aren't getting relegated) most seasons doesn't tend to be enjoyable.

Neither is where they are now, AND there's little in the way of good footballers to watch! 

Remember going to Bolton Wanderers,my first away game supporting the Rams back in the old division Two.They had a good team then but since have gone from struggle to struggle and dropped and dropped.They are mired in a league they have no chance of getting out of for a long while.

It can happen to us make no mistake,.....We must not go down.

I’d hope that no one seriously considers relegation as a good thing. But there are nevertheless some reasons to be cheerful or hopeful if it does come to that. 

Consider Leicester. They went down to league 1, but then came back up, won’t the premier league, and now competing consistently at the top end. 

and there are plenty of other clubs that haven’t won the premier league, but have eventually had success having gone down. Leeds, Sheffield United, did Wolves go down too?

forest are a notable exception to this rule, which makes me chuckle. Obviously we could end up like the likes of Ipswich, Sunderland, and Hull, languishing in league 1, and not able to get promoted. But maybe this is just the beginning but if their stories, and in 10 years time they could all be doing a Leicester. Would that be worth going down to league 1 and waiting ten years for?

“it’ll all be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, then it’s not the end.”

we were in the third division before, and then we had some good times in the premier league, and then we got relegated, and then we had more good times in the premier league, and now we are where we are. It’s all just a moment in time, and next season will be something different. 

you only need to be proper doom and gloomy if you do something like a Portsmouth or Bolton, and go all the way to the bottom, and find you can barely compete at that level, then it’s going to be a very long hard slog to get back to the top. 

@TigerTedd a little harsh on Hull seeing as this is their first season down there and they're currently top! But other than that, I'd generally agree.

League One would be "exciting" for some because we'd face a lot of new teams, new grounds for many people if we can go etc., however it really wouldn't be worth the potential long-term setbacks. We'd lose out financially and be forced to sell our best players and probably replace with lower quality. Our best hope would be to runaway with the title and use the momentum to progress in the Championship too, but that sort of thing doesn't happen too often, especially nowadays.

5 hours ago, GenBr said:

I work with a Sunderland fan who thinks its brilliant. Just kidding - he says it is awful and horrible to watch most games

Probably a fault of their style of play rather than the level they're playing in. Only 4 defeats so far this season, but less than 1 goal a game. I'm sure Hull fans are enjoying their season. Both Sunderland and Hull were relegated from the PL in the 16/17 season and have followed a similar trajectory since.