Relegation watch

Spanish

Just now, CBRammette said:

I know that but it doesnt work unless  say at the midpoint when everyone has played everyone once. If someone near top has played us, rotherham and  sheff weds twice and someone else has played say norwich, watford and brentford twice it doesnt work. Also doesnt address that teams have lost players to covid absence during games so far. Did they not agree before season started what procedure would be and at what stage ppg would be used?

Ah, well which teams you've actually played is a different point to the one you originally raised. There are plenty of other issues such as current v start of the season form. They probably can't take into account players lost to covid whatever they chose other than abandoning the season as a whole.

Who knows if they agreed any protocols in the event of the season having to be ended early. My view is that something like at least 2/3 of the season needs to have been completed for PPG to be used but, they didn't ask me.

17 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Ah, well which teams you've actually played is a different point to the one you originally raised. There are plenty of other issues such as current v start of the season form. They probably can't take into account players lost to covid whatever they chose other than abandoning the season as a whole.

Who knows if they agreed any protocols in the event of the season having to be ended early. My view is that something like at least 2/3 of the season needs to have been completed for PPG to be used but, they didn't ask me.

On the legal mess that would follow ppt decision there are obviously only 3 relegated clubs but there maybe 10 clubs who will revert to the courts for denying them promotion.  Injunctions flying around to stop the new season starting before resolution.  Just either end it or continue playing until it finishes.  Not easy given European qualifying requirements 

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

On the legal mess that would follow ppt decision there are obviously only 3 relegated clubs but there maybe 10 clubs who will revert to the courts for denying them promotion.  Injunctions flying around to stop the new season starting before resolution.  Just either end it or continue playing until it finishes.  Not easy given European qualifying requirements 

I know there was less at stake (Fleetwood were only two points off the autos when the season was ended and promotion to the Championship would have been a big deal for them so it's all relative), I don't think there were any legal challenges in the lower league. 

Didn't they take a vote in the lower leagues which I guess would have been binding?

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I know there was less at stake (Fleetwood were only two points off the autos when the season was ended and promotion to the Championship would have been a big deal for them so it's all relative), I don't think there were any legal challenges in the lower league. 

Didn't they take a vote in the lower leagues which I guess would have been binding?

I suppose that is my point the longer you wait the less number of teams that should be affected

Fear not boys and girls.... 

I'm sure the EFL will have used the summer lull well, and thoroughly scenario tested what they might do in the event of a well-advertised second wave. 

They surely were clearly focused on the right priorities and wouldn't have wasted scarce time and resources pursuing petty grievances...... Oh....... Ah......... As you were...... ?

23 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I suppose that is my point the longer you wait the less number of teams that should be affected

Yep and, you'd like to think the longer the season goes on the more fairly PPG reflects the whole season.

A vote too early in the season would mean that far too many teams vote for what suits them best (couldn't blame them) rather than what they really think is right.

If they had a vote today, I wonder which way it would go?

Almost certainly in favour of PPG (8): Norwich, Swansea, Wednesday, QPR, Forest, Birmingham, Millwall and Coventry

Probably in favour (5): Reading, Watford, Cardiff, Luton and Huddersfield

Certainly against (3): Wycombe, Rotherham and Derby

Probably against: The other 8

For = 13

Against = 11

Of course I know it's not as simple as that as it would depend on the other divisions and the Premier League. 

Edited by Tamworthram

Lets face it,it's league one for us,playing with a threadbare collection of what's left in the academy after its pillaged by clubs buying our talent in the cheap and older has beens.

The great thing is,despite buying season tickets for this year,I doubt they will be honoured for next season so it's all great from every angle.

Why didn't I just choose man u or Liverpool like every other sensible kid at school back in the 70's.

18 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Lets face it,it's league one for us,playing with a threadbare collection of what's left in the academy after its pillaged by clubs buying our talent in the cheap and older has beens.

The great thing is,despite buying season tickets for this year,I doubt they will be honoured for next season so it's all great from every angle.

Why didn't I just choose man u or Liverpool like every other sensible kid at school back in the 70's.

back in the 70's we were better than them

9 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Looking at the table currently, I think Wycombe will be relegated. The other 2 teams could be any from Barnsley in 11th spot down to Wednesday who currently sit in 23rd.

It’s way too early. Why draw the line at Barnsley? Preston have only got one point more and Bristol two with just less than half the season left.

8 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

I started in the 3rd divison (Trevor Christie was my favourite player) if we end up being there “so what”.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Once a ram, always a ram.

you make the assumption that being relegated ends all the other problems, not convinced it does.  Reduced income, the sale of our better players, the end of the academy?, not having a ground?, admin?, 12 point penalty?   I really don't want to toy with relegation because there is a threat to the future of the club 

On 09/01/2021 at 17:44, Tamworthram said:

Yep and, you'd like to think the longer the season goes on the more fairly PPG reflects the whole season.

A vote too early in the season would mean that far too many teams vote for what suits them best (couldn't blame them) rather than what they really think is right.

If they had a vote today, I wonder which way it would go?

Almost certainly in favour of PPG (8): Norwich, Swansea, Wednesday, QPR, Forest, Birmingham, Millwall and Coventry

Probably in favour (5): Reading, Watford, Cardiff, Luton and Huddersfield

Certainly against (3): Wycombe, Rotherham and Derby

Probably against: The other 8

For = 13

Against = 11

Of course I know it's not as simple as that as it would depend on the other divisions and the Premier League. 

Probably for the first time ever, if a vote was taken today, Mel might well be in agreement with Gibson and they’d both vote against as (at the time of this post) Boro sit 7th and would just miss out on the play offs.

I’m hooked on the rather naff but addictive Australian Survivor. Perhaps it’s time to start making alliances with others including those you don’t particularly like or trust?

Theres a lot of football to be played yet, but I think quite a few clubs will be nervous. Probably everyone from Cardiff down could easily be dragged in.

Just on Derby, we've picked up 16pts in 11 games under Rooney - the vast majority that we have this season.

If we maintain this PPG, we will finish on 54pts, which would in theory be the joint highest to be relegated.