Relegation watch

Spanish

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Agree that this squad is bang average, still reinforces my point that we should be occupying an "average" midtable league position not embroiled in a relegation dogfight. 

If only they'd started Rooney's season from average rather than relegation...some of the players don't seem to have the requirements for a late season dogfight.

13 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Agree that this squad is bang average, still reinforces my point that we should be occupying an "average" midtable league position not embroiled in a relegation dogfight. 

Imo, as I said AT BEST we are bang average so a mid to lower part of the league is where we should be and we do find ourselves in that position. 

I think Rooney & his staff are doing all they can do with this squad, Cocu took us to the bottom of the league so he started with basically a points deduction. If we survive I think he'll have done a great job with what he had to work with.

Look down the road, Hughton, who I think is a good manager and started pretty much the same time as Rooney, is only 6 points better off with a better squad and he joined them clear of the relegation places.

I really believe, given the backing promised, Rooney has the pull to get quality players in and will get us going in the right direction.

8 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Imo, as I said AT BEST we are bang average so a mid to lower part of the league is where we should be and we do find ourselves in that position. 

I think Rooney & his staff are doing all they can do with this squad, Cocu took us to the bottom of the league so he started with basically a points deduction. If we survive I think he'll have done a great job with what he had to work with.

Look down the road, Hughton, who I think is a good manager and started pretty much the same time as Rooney, is only 6 points better off with a better squad and he joined them clear of the relegation places.

I really believe, given the backing promised, Rooney has the pull to get quality players in and will get us going in the right direction.

It reads like Rooney swept in on a white stallion and has rescued us. Completely ignoring that he and his coaching staff were all part of a team being bottom! Rooney was supposedly our star, but he was overweight, out of shape and barely interested in fighting at the start of this season. He has to take some responsibility for our league position that he inherited. This mess is on the players too and Rooney was part of that. If anything he helped make his own job harder.

7 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

It reads like Rooney swept in on a white stallion and has rescued us. Completely ignoring that he and his coaching staff were all part of a team being bottom! Rooney was supposedly our star, but he was overweight, out of shape and barely interested in fighting at the start of this season. He has to take some responsibility for our league position that he inherited. This mess is on the players too and Rooney was part of that. If anything he helped make his own job harder.

I don't think for one minute he's rode in and rescued us as he hasn't yet and there's still a chance we could go down. Saying he wasn't interested goes against everything, every player and coach says about him throughout his career, so forgive me if i take what a few disgruntled fans who probably doesn't like him anyway, no matter what he does with a pinch of salt.

He'll feel responsible if we do go down and I'm sure he'll say this, but you can't blame him for taking us down and then not congratulate him if he keeps us up.

EVERYONE has to take responsibility, that, I 100% agree with but it's the players/squad that inevitably have to take the lions share as they are the ones that put all the training and tactics into play on matchday.

I'm not a fanboy ?, I just think he deserves a fair crack of the whip. We have one or 2 good players and thats it.

imo ?

55 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Totally agree it's patently obvious that some of the players don't have the stomach for a relegation scrap. 

That's not fair. David Marshall has been relegated with Norwich, Cardiff, Hull, Wigan - in fact he's been relegated with EVERY English team he's ever played for... except us...

Must have an iron stomach by now that one.

26 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

That's not fair. David Marshall has been relegated with Norwich, Cardiff, Hull, Wigan - in fact he's been relegated with EVERY English team he's ever played for... except us...

I didn't realise we had such a serial Jonah in our midst....were doomed

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We must play like we must win tonight from the kick off.

Shouldn't' that be every game?

Relegation battle, Promotion push, Mediocrity drive ..... should always try and win

COYR ( ... *tuts*, "okay, I suppose I'm comin' "  *flops out of armchair* )

1 hour ago, Beetroot said:

Iron stomach, and candy floss hands.

1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

I don't think for one minute he's rode in and rescued us as he hasn't yet and there's still a chance we could go down. Saying he wasn't interested goes against everything, every player and coach says about him throughout his career, so forgive me if i take what a few disgruntled fans who probably doesn't like him anyway, no matter what he does with a pinch of salt.

He'll feel responsible if we do go down and I'm sure he'll say this, but you can't blame him for taking us down and then not congratulate him if he keeps us up.

EVERYONE has to take responsibility, that, I 100% agree with but it's the players/squad that inevitably have to take the lions share as they are the ones that put all the training and tactics into play on matchday.

I'm not a fanboy ?, I just think he deserves a fair crack of the whip. We have one or 2 good players and thats it.

imo ?

I have always been a fan of Rooney as a player. You are right, those are all qualities no one could ever dispute, however, what we got since lockdown was severely lacking in those qualities. I was disappointed.

47 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I have always been a fan of Rooney as a player. You are right, those are all qualities no one could ever dispute, however, what we got since lockdown was severely lacking in those qualities. I was disappointed.

He probably, secretly had Covid ?

41 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

It is alright cos Sheff U coming down - @RadioactiveWaste could be onto something here

The relegation of sheff utd would certainly help, but a disastorous cricket season from Yorkshire could perhaps proved the misery stability.

If Barnsley are promoted and Yorkshire are batting and bowling well, we might have to consult the Lanci council about how to deal with the situation. No one wants to Ilkley moore aflame with ba tat, no one wants the pontifract cakes to start ammasing a new army.....

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Rotherham will get 1 point in 6 games, meanwhile we lose the next 5 games in a row.

On the final day, we take the lead v Sheff Wed and everyone proclaims Rooney a hero as safety appears secured.

Until the last 10 minutes when Jordan Rhodes pops up with the unlikeliest of doubles.

But it’s still 1-1 in Cardiff and we’re still safe. And then of course Rotherham score in stoppage time at Cardiff.

If we are going down to League 1, you just know it’s going to be in the most ridiculous fashion ever.

If we lose the next 5 games we have no need to worry about Rotherham scoring in stoppage time !.... we'll be below Wednesday and Wycombe !