Coventry v Derby Match Day Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Here’s an idea. When we get the ball on the wings let’s put it in the box and..... and this is going to sound daft, let’s encourage players to get into the box just in case it should come near them.

That's the kind of overcomplicated nonsense they're trying to get out of the players.

Go a goal down and hang onto that in away matches was something I thought was consigned to early Nigel Clough years ....

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Up to when he got substituted. He also passed to the opposition and the advertising hordings, though that doesn't really make him stand out today.

I wish I'd seen that. Would make a nice change to watch him do something else. 

That was really, really poor. We were lacking creativity, too many players playing safe, negative passes, Buchanan possibly the biggest culprit.

Roberts was starting to look good then we stopped passing to him.

Byrne probably had his worst game.

The changes mid week look diabolical now.

Wisdom spent too much time watching the ball and got caught out too often. Clarke wasn't much better. 

Bird and Shinnie don't really work as a midfield 2, Knight isn't a wide player, Waghorn and CKR couldn't get in the game, and when they did get the ball they were poor with it. 

Things really need to improve otherwise we will be seriously back in trouble. 

1 minute ago, desirelines said:

Crowdfunder to buy Waghorn out of the club? He’s gone from solid mid table Championship forward to a player who would struggle to get into the starting XI of most League One clubs 

Needs to drop down to the SPL, would look just about ok there...

Really weak disjointed performance, lacking any discernible quality. Coventry totally deserved the 3 points.

Another odd line up from Rooney following Tuesday night. No idea what coaching staff are seeing in Knight to believe he's an effective LW - its a total waste of an attacking spot. To compound that, Waghorn playing number 10 when creativity & touch are hardly his forte with Roberts playing RW & constantly coming inside. Those two needed swicthing.

That said, can't blame Rooney for the lack of quality on offer. Misplaced passes, poor touches, non existent movement - its simply not good enough. There seems a curious obsession with recycling possession instead of playing through the lines & its the main reason we a) are unable to catch teams unaware & b) why games drift away from us so passively. Byrne's inexplicable pass to their lad to set up the goal was a key example of this - what on earth was the point of that ball even if it was 'on'? 

We have focused on shape & structure to drag results out since November & that totally made sense at the time but the final third effort needs a comprehensive review. We have wingers who create nothing, full backs who only cross if there's a lunar eclipse & consequently very little movement as those who have made an effort to get into the box are rewarded time & time again with absolutely nothing.

Also don't like to single players out but I'm struggling to work out what Shinnie is bringing to this team at the minute. He's not providing much by way of defensive solidity & he looks uncomfortable on the ball - exactly the opposite of what we need when chasing the match. Quite frankly he could have come off immediately after Coventry's goal for the impact he made thereafter.

Big improvement needed against a much better side in the week.

Well new manager bounce well and truly over now. And dare i say it for the first time i'm starting to doubt Rooney. Don't understand the constant tinkering and switching formations. It just reminds me of Cocu or even Van Gaal at Man Utd. Really outdated tactics that just don't work in this country. You have to play high tempo as all 4 divisions in England are like this. 

What worries me more than anything is we just never look like scoring a goal. And to be honest we are just so boring to watch. Sad times to be a DCFC fan, what has happened to us?

I know i will likely receive a lot of stick for this, but I'm just going to put it out there anyway,  Lampard is available.

Third woeful performance in a row. Toothless in attack. Always looking backwards or sideways rather than forwards. It is worrying. Terrible goal to give away, with Byrne trying to thread a difficult sideways pass instead of looking forwards. He wasn't the only Ram who tried to do that all afternoon. So often we have reasonable forward options and don't even consider them.

Rooney has to find something. The players need to be braver and think "forwards" and believe in themselves. I'm frustrated when Waghorn is playing as a 10 and Knight is out on the left wing. Watson did good and bad things but was generally positive, but I'm frustrated we won't play Sibley there. When he does play it seems to be out on the wing instead of as an attacking midfielder.

In all the years ive followed Derby I don’t remember feeling as low as I do right now .... worst team I’ve seen 

Loan players must be wondering what they’ve turned up to 

A manager who I want to give the benefit of the doubt but it’s not looking like he will employed too long 

4 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I bet Coventry did not expect it to be so comfortable, barely troubled their centre halves. We just do not seem to be learning anything from these types of games. The January loans have added very little to the team and we seemed better with the limited options we had before.

The loans are all crap. I don’t trust Our management (?) team to recruit the right players

They loans in January should have been fighters to get us clear of the drop  this season. Not lightweights and wannabes

6 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Not sure why i bother to invest any emotion in this shower. Always let you down

I can honestly say that my emotions were not touched by this footballing feast. Obvious after ten minutes that it was not going to work today. Subs were far too late. Better team won. 

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Third woeful performance in a row. Toothless in attack. Always looking backwards or sideways rather than forwards. It is worrying. Terrible goal to give away, with Byrne trying to thread a difficult sideways pass instead of looking forwards. He wasn't the only Ram who tried to do that all afternoon. So often we have reasonable forward options and don't even consider them.

Rooney has to find something. The players need to be braver and think "forwards" and believe in themselves. I'm frustrated when Waghorn is playing as a 10 and Knight is out on the left wing. Watson did good and bad things but was generally positive, but I'm frustrated we won't play Sibley there. When he does play it seems to be out on the wing instead of as an attacking midfielder.

I think the team is more jittery when the car crash that is Roos is in goal.

He slipped on his arse again today.

Archived