Coventry v Derby Match Day Thread

26 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

He knows he is struggling to get 11 on a pitch to compete with teams, todays performance showed that. It's not the rotation that's the problem, it's the players out on the pitch that aren't good enough.

Yes it is. I couldnt get over how terrible any crosses or passes into or near the box were today. Absolutely woeful. Also we seemed to think we were the corner kings but today?! Every time we play a team around us they look fast and great going forwards in comparison. For first time may skip watching Tuesday - so fed up with same thing every game

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We looked better but still created absolutely nothing. I can’t remember their keeper having to make a save in the second half. Everyone seems to be moaning about Waggers but Gregory did nothing either. We just create nothing, that is the most worrying aspect for me...

Oh I agree, Gregory is smack bang average too

our survival hopes basically are starting to fall on ibe and Lawrence returning ... to find some form and give us that spark ... no pressure lads 

you’ll understand why I’m therefore pooping it 

3 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Coventry played like we want to; on the front foot; getting the defenders turned and then resolute at the back themselves. We had no answer to it.

To be fair it was a game between two very poor sides. Coventry were very poor too. They hit the post but created very little either, plus they were gifted the goal...

6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

For all the issues the 'big' problems the most niggling thing for me is how little Gregory gets involved in well.. anything. 

We try to stay tight and win close games with CKR up top on his own. If we concede we have Gregory to bring on to 'go for it' but it changes nothing because he is never near the thing. Which means we quickly revert to negative thinking next game. 

He's just not very good, at least from what we've seen here.

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

Oh I agree, Gregory is smack bang average too

our survival hopes basically are starting to fall on ibe and Lawrence returning ... to find some form and give us that spark ... no pressure lads 

you’ll understand why I’m therefore pooping it 

I wouldn’t hold your breath...

Back to the drawing board. Without Bielik driving from the back, our midfield looks slow and weak. Knight is the only bright spark. Much as I like Max, he is young and has a lot to learn; but he looks for the FK instead of fighting until the whistle blows. Shinnie does what Shinnie does but isn’t electric enough to make a difference in turgid games like this. So little skill in evidence from too many in the team. Ponderous inaccurate passing, giving it away, not getting second ball. Add in a lack of teeth upfront means we will always be in a battle. Kazim gave his all as usual, Clarke deserves better. Wiz had an ok game as did Byrne - one catastrophic mistake apart. Roberts tried but is very one footed.

yughhh .! . day to forget, beaten by an average but hungry team with a good CF.  Thought Joz and and the youngster did ok when they came on .. but “ok” isn’t good enough for where we are and where we want to be. 

56 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Reality check for Rooney.

Think the new manager bounce is over now.

Second rookie manager with no experience  starting to ply their  trade here at Derby in the last few seasons. I’m certainly not at the Rooney out state of mind, but when McCarthy was mentioned in the Cocu out period, it was met with some contempt.  Managers like that must be a better bet than rookies, considering where we are as a club?  

2 minutes ago, jono said:

Right now we need Tom .. badly !  

Weird innit, his injury didn’t seem that serious, a shoulder thing.  Problem is time is running out for him to get the game time needed to brush  away the cobwebs.  He also was never consistent so, although I agree we need a player like Tom in the team, I’m not sure he’s the answer 

5 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Second rookie manager with no experience  starting to ply their  trade here at Derby in the last few seasons. I’m certainly not at the Rooney out state of mind, but when McCarthy was mentioned in the Cocu out period, it was met with some contempt.  Managers like that must be a better bet than rookies, considering where we are as a club?  

I think people were put off the idea of McCarthy due to playing style, but it doesn't look like we're doing much better to be honest, we are just so boring to watch it's painful. 

10 minutes ago, jono said:

Back to the drawing board. Without Bielik driving from the back, our midfield looks slow and weak. Knight is the only bright spark. Much as I like Max, he is young and has a lot to learn; but he looks for the FK instead of fighting until the whistle blows. Shinnie does what Shinnie does but isn’t electric enough to make a difference in turgid games like this. So little skill in evidence from too many in the team. Ponderous inaccurate passing, giving it away, not getting second ball. Add in a lack of teeth upfront means we will always be in a battle. Kazim gave his all as usual, Clarke deserves better. Wiz had an ok game as did Byrne - one catastrophic mistake apart. Roberts tried but is very one footed.

yughhh .! . day to forget, beaten by an average but hungry team with a good CF.  Thought Joz and and the youngster did ok when they came on .. but “ok” isn’t good enough for where we are and where we want to be. 

I think Knight has been really disappointing for the last 8 games or so....playing him out of position hasn’t helped...

40 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Out worked and out fought AGAIN. In fact Id go as far as saying I have not seen a game this season where I thought our work rate was higher than the team we were playing. Sorry it is negative but the the physical side of the game is important in the Championship. Size, Pace, work rate, physicality, call it what you want, we Lack it.

Quality mate ... we lack quality 

work rate and Endeavour are there ... many of Our wins under Rooney are down to that ... and the odd CKR moment of quality but he’s in isolation and can’t do it every week 

the likes of shinnie, joz and knight will run all day for u and have done manfully but they lack any sort of quality that will hurt the opponents 

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think Knight has been really disappointing for the last 8 games or so....playing him out of position hasn’t helped...

I think that’s fair, but for me when he has the ball or is looking for it he displays skill and effort at a level above some of the others. If it was the playground and you were picking teams from your gaggle of mates I’d pick Jason early doors regardless of where he was being played. .. Of all the crop he is the one for that’s “got it” in a broader sense 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Really weak disjointed performance, lacking any discernible quality. Coventry totally deserved the 3 points.

Another odd line up from Rooney following Tuesday night. No idea what coaching staff are seeing in Knight to believe he's an effective LW - its a total waste of an attacking spot. To compound that, Waghorn playing number 10 when creativity & touch are hardly his forte with Roberts playing RW & constantly coming inside. Those two needed swicthing.

That said, can't blame Rooney for the lack of quality on offer. Misplaced passes, poor touches, non existent movement - its simply not good enough. There seems a curious obsession with recycling possession instead of playing through the lines & its the main reason we a) are unable to catch teams unaware & b) why games drift away from us so passively. Byrne's inexplicable pass to their lad to set up the goal was a key example of this - what on earth was the point of that ball even if it was 'on'? 

We have focused on shape & structure to drag results out since November & that totally made sense at the time but the final third effort needs a comprehensive review. We have wingers who create nothing, full backs who only cross if there's a lunar eclipse & consequently very little movement as those who have made an effort to get into the box are rewarded time & time again with absolutely nothing.

Also don't like to single players out but I'm struggling to work out what Shinnie is bringing to this team at the minute. He's not providing much by way of defensive solidity & he looks uncomfortable on the ball - exactly the opposite of what we need when chasing the match. Quite frankly he could have come off immediately after Coventry's goal for the impact he made thereafter.

Big improvement needed against a much better side in the week.

“Full backs who only cross if there is a lunar eclipse”

Just for that analogy, well done Sir.

Just now, jono said:

I think that’s fair, but for me when he has the ball or is looking for it he displays skill and effort at a level above some of the others. If it was the playground and you were picking teams from your gaggle of mates I’d pick Jason early doors regardless of where he was being played. .. Of all the crop he is the one for that’s “got it” in a broader sense 

There is a player there but we haven’t seen it for a while. Fatigue probably a factor too...

Archived