New Manager

dantheram

14 permanent managers in the last 19 years & most of them appeared to be good appointments initially !!

2019–: Phillip Cocu
2018–2019: Frank Lampard
2017–2018: Gary Rowett
2016–2017: Steve McClaren
2016: Nigel Pearson
2016:  Darren Wassall (caretaker)
2015–2016: Paul Clement
2013–2015: Steve McClaren
2009–2013: Nigel Clough
2007–2008: Paul Jewell
2006–2007: Billy Davies
2005–2006: Phil Brown
2006: Terry Westley (caretaker)
2003–2005: George Burley
2002–2003: John Gregory
2001–2002: Colin Todd

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I very much see Terry as similar to Lampard.  Similar career. Similar driven nature and desire to play every game. 

Maybe not as overtly intelligent and with a more questionable 'persona' . However, he was even more of a leader on/off the pitch also has more coaching experience than Frank had. 

I wouldn't dismiss him out of hand. 

You could say pretty much the exact same thing about Rooney. Who has the advantage of already being on our payroll. 

2 minutes ago, Crazy said:

You could say pretty much the exact same thing about Rooney. Who has the advantage of already being on our payroll. 

True in some ways. 

But he is actually getting a massive wage to play here and his only coaching experience hasn't been particularly productive. 

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

One name I haven't seen mentioned yet is Alex Neil. If he has managed to get Preston pushing for top 6 for the last few years on a budgets in the league, then imagine what he could do with the biggest non-parachute budgets. He also won promotion with Norwich a few years back.

Didn't like his comments about Derby, seems to have the victim mentality suited to more of an underdog team which in fairness is probably us right now. 

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

One name I haven't seen mentioned yet is Alex Neil. If he has managed to get Preston pushing for top 6 for the last few years on a budgets in the league, then imagine what he could do with the biggest non-parachute budgets. He also won promotion with Norwich a few years back.

Banker

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I want Paul Cook - if only to see @RoyMac5's comments on every thread if things go wrong.

Only kidding Roy, you know I love ya ?

Mwah! ? It's getting bad innit. I just want to see some exciting and/OR successful football (well, successful really). To think there's fans thinking how lucky we were to be able to sign Colin! ? 

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Alex Neil hates us. He has pictures of our CEO'S on his dartboard with Mel on the bulls eye.

If were paying 90k a week to managers though it might twist his throwing arm.

58 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

What’s the issue people have with Terry as manager?

Peopl have asked for a manager who can handle players with ego - I bet he can. He won’t suffer fools that’s for sure. 
He’s spent time learning the ropes at Villa, he has the same playing background as Lampard and I’d much prefer giving him a shot than closing that door by recruiting the same old managers which is blocking the path of young managers. 

Let's put aside reservations about his character to start with, whether you like the manager as person won't bear much resemblance on his performance.

The main issue is it's a complete gamble at a time we need to really minimise risk in who we bring in. We need someone who has a crystal clear idea of what they will do and be able to hit the ground running. He'd have little room for error at a time when he his more likely to make errors. Lampard was a somewhat different situation in that he had an entire pre-season to get his feet under the table along with a certain degree of slack when the season began and had Jody Morris, a well reknowned coach coming with him. Even then you can make the argument he leant heavily on three extremely talented loanees.

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's not a bad idea, fits a lot of the criteria we should be looking for but I don't think we will be seriously looking at other championship managers right now.

11 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Let's put aside reservations about his character to start with, whether you like the manager as person won't bear much resemblance on his performance.

The main issue is it's a complete gamble at a time we need to really minimise risk in who we bring in. We need someone who has a crystal clear idea of what they will do and be able to hit the ground running. He'd have little room for error at a time when he his more likely to make errors. Lampard was a somewhat different situation in that he had an entire pre-season to get his feet under the table along with a certain degree of slack when the season began and had Jody Morris, a well reknowned coach coming with him. Even then you can make the argument he leant heavily on three extremely talented loanees.

Every appointment is a gamble. Nobody has a crystal ball that’s able to say which appointment will work and which one wouldn’t. 

Fans churn out McCarthy, Warnock, etc time and time again but despite a promotion they don’t leave the club in a better position. They go up, they exhibit the same “battling” qualities that got them promoted and end up fighting relegation and ultimately coming back down. 

Our last unproven manager now manages Chelsea and got them to qualify for CL. Previous “proven” managers we appointed such as Pearson and Jewell didn’t exactly work out well. 

Ultimately whoever we appoint, should we change manager, will be a gamble and I’d prefer to take a gamble on a young manager who may be able to do more than have us follow the same route as the other clubs managed by those who “know the league”

Why do we assume it is going to be a manager we have even heard of? Yes we may be bottom of the league but a manager worth his pay check would be able to look at our squad and see its easily mid-table and with some decent signings be capable of aiming for the top 6. So we're not a total disaster even though us fans may think we are. We are definitely a good project for someone that is for sure.

But back to my first question - who had heard of Jokanovic before his Watford stint? He was assistant manager at Hercules before them. This new owner will have contacts and his own preferences I'm sure. Could be someone really left field like Totti, Sylvinho, Blanc, Seedorf - my point is, we just don't have a clue.

There are 100s of available managers and some that we would even be able to pay off and bring in so is there much point in guessing? Whoever it is won't be good enough for the majority.

Archived