New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rampant said:

The Daily Mail (I know, I know) are apparently suggesting we are interested in appointing John Terry as the new manager. 

Pinch of salt etc.

Please no. No more celebrity football BS. Get a manager with a proven track record of playing good football, getting clubs out of the championship and establishing them in the Prem. Eddie Howe is the obvious choice for me.

4 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

Please no. No more celebrity football BS. Get a manager with a proven track record of playing good football, getting clubs out of the championship and establishing them in the Prem. Eddie Howe is the obvious choice for me.

Who is this mythical person? You mention clubs plural so it must automatically rule Howe out. 

I think Mick McCarthy is, indeed, a desperate suggestion, but we are in a desperate situation. It looked like we might be gradually picking up with a series of draws, but two further home losses without scoring. 

Pragmatic managers find a way to win or ensure the team is hard to beat. I'd rather watch an expansive team. I don't know the answer, there are a few options available to us. In the short-term, do we go for a manager that can keep us up and then review things afterwards? Does anyone think we can play our way out of trouble? That would mean playing with energy, which isn't Cocu's style at the moment.

Another factor is that we are supposed to be under new ownership, a period of transition. If we do make a change, few managers will want to join a club that may dispense with them if the new owners with their purported wealth want somebody else. Again, if we dispense with the manager, with issues re: compensation, we're unlikely to go for someone already in situ (more compensation).

I've mentioned Paul Cook, Allardyce, but I'd consider appointing Gary Rowett again. It wouldn't be popular, his style, but he is proven in this division. However, I doubt he'd forsake a fairly safe job at Millwall for our instability. 

As for the link to John Terry, I'm beginning to wonder if Mel's great-grandfather was the captain of the Titanic.

1 minute ago, Asanovic70 said:

I think Mick McCarthy is, indeed, a desperate suggestion, but we are in a desperate situation. 

I've mentioned Paul Cook, Allardyce, but I'd consider appointing Gary Rowett again. It wouldn't be popular, his style, but he is proven in this division. However, I doubt he'd forsake a fairly safe job at Millwall for our instability. 

McCarthy is a week into his contract with his new club. What makes Derby a larger draw for Rowett than being at Millwall at the moment. He's already had his fingers burned with thinking the grass is always greener when he ran off to Stoke even if it was deemed as a larger attraction. 

3 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

I think Mick McCarthy is, indeed, a desperate suggestion, but we are in a desperate situation. It looked like we might be gradually picking up with a series of draws, but two further home losses without scoring. 

Pragmatic managers find a way to win or ensure the team is hard to beat. I'd rather watch an expansive team. I don't know the answer, there are a few options available to us. In the short-term, do we go for a manager that can keep us up and then review things afterwards? Does anyone think we can play our way out of trouble? That would mean playing with energy, which isn't Cocu's style at the moment.

Another factor is that we are supposed to be under new ownership, a period of transition. If we do make a change, few managers will want to join a club that may dispense with them if the new owners with their purported wealth want somebody else. Again, if we dispense with the manager, with issues re: compensation, we're unlikely to go for someone already in situ (more compensation).

As for the link to John Terry, I'm beginning to wonder if Mel's great-grandfather was the captain of the Titanic.

McCarthy is very much maligned by the 5 or 6 years of firefighting he had to do at Ipswich. He had far less options there than we do now and had to set up at team to suit.  When he left we saw what happened .  Also took a Sunderland side from the relegation zone to promotion. Millwall to the playoffs. The best job he did was at Wolves , he built a very good attacking side with no money that finished 7th , then the playoffs , then got promoted and managed a couple of seasons up.  Think they actually topped the premier league for a short spell.

Theres a lot worse.

Why on god's earth are people even mentioning McCarthy and Rowett, we are supposedly getting a multi billionaire Shiekh taking over is he really going to pick 1 of these jokers, if he did I would be seriously worried about the club's future and the mental state of its owner

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

McCarthy is very much maligned by the 5 or 6 years of firefighting he had to do at Ipswich. He had far less options there than we do now and had to set up at team to suit.  When he left we saw what happened .  Also took a Sunderland side from the relegation zone to promotion. Millwall to the playoffs. The best job he did was at Wolves , he built a very good attacking side with no money that finished 7th , then the playoffs , then got promoted and managed a couple of seasons up.  Think they actually topped the premier league for a short spell.

Theres a lot worse.

Agree, but he's just signed to go to Cyprus to manage. 

We've got enough compensation to pay already! ?

Tyler, 

Yes, I knew about McCarthy,  I thought the criticism academic because of that. He isn't even an option. 

I did say that I doubted Rowett would forsake his present club for us (again). I kept the original post brief, but did want to add  that some in the media regard us as a basket-case, Tony Evans (Evening Standard, Times) in particular, has been scathing. I think we've become a by-word about how not to run a club.

I only have a lay-person's knowledge, I don't have any inside knowledge/contact, but a football club is really just another working environment, albeit more glamorous. Perhaps there are deeper issues, a toxic dressing-room, clashes between senior players, who knows? There's certainly a lack of direction as you've pointed out elsewhere, both on and off the field.

7 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

Why on god's earth are people even mentioning McCarthy and Rowett, we are supposedly getting a multi billionaire Shiekh taking over is he really going to pick 1 of these jokers, if he did I would be seriously worried about the club's future and the mental state of its owner

As would I if Rooney was given the job.

24 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

Good grief............just give it to wassall if it means escaping that towering pile of ducking poo!

I make an exception for cook.

21 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Howe had a great record at Bournemouth, the only time he left the comfort of his spiritual home, to go to Burnley, it was a failure.

Burnley didn't have a Russian billionaire owner who fancied breaking the rules, that was the real difference. Howe was handing out big contracts in the Prem for fun and look at them now. Regularly signed players then fell out with them from what I read.

What’s the issue people have with Terry as manager?

Peopl have asked for a manager who can handle players with ego - I bet he can. He won’t suffer fools that’s for sure. 
He’s spent time learning the ropes at Villa, he has the same playing background as Lampard and I’d much prefer giving him a shot than closing that door by recruiting the same old managers which is blocking the path of young managers. 

Archived