New Manager

dantheram

Whoever, it is, let's hope it's the one that allows us to become the next Leicester/Wolves. Clubs like these are no bigger than Derby and there is no reason why we can't join them.

I just hope that this will be our time and the manager we get will be effective and more important, if successful, won't clear off to the likes of Newcastle, Stoke or Chelsea. Who knows what Mac1, Rowett and Lampard may have achieved?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BriggRam said:

Why on god's earth are people even mentioning McCarthy and Rowett, we are supposedly getting a multi billionaire Shiekh taking over is he really going to pick 1 of these jokers, if he did I would be seriously worried about the club's future and the mental state of its owner

I’d genuinely rather we appoint McCarthy or Rowett over Terry. 

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was talking about the fact he's not said anything about not getting Martin or anyone else to sign. I would have expected a bit more anger, but it's not his style though.

Where are they? Nurtured, hmmm; played yes.

I'm glad that we do not have a manager that throws tantrums in the media. Again, we do not know how much he protested "in-house".

I think you are being grossly unfair about Cocu's handling of the young players. He has spoken about the need to take them out of the team from time to time, because - by their nature - their form is up and down. He was widely praised for the way he has brought on Bird, Buchanan, Whittaker and Knight and waited for Sibley to be ready.

I'm afraid this is where you - and others - let yourself down. Instead of being constructive in your arguments, praising when due, criticising when merited, you just fall into the trap of criticising/digging/dishing for the sake of it. So every post is yet another dig.

5 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Christ none of them,they would be a complete reversal of our style of play...we need someone who can carry on with cocus basic work and actually get it to work as it should.

Mac did it properly once,as did wassell.

Pullis it is then ?

5 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

Noooooo Mick is a Ford Cortina. Solid reliable but so dull and agricultural.. and what’s worse, he thinks he’s brilliant because he’s got a vinyl roof and standard fog lights. 

9 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Christ none of them,they would be a complete reversal of our style of play...we need someone who can carry on with cocus basic work and actually get it to work as it should.

Mac did it properly once,as did wassell.

We really, really, really don't?

10 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I'm afraid this is where you - and others - let yourself down. Instead of being constructive in your arguments, praising when due, criticising when merited, you just fall into the trap of criticising/digging/dishing for the sake of it. So every post is yet another dig.

Your opinion is that Cocu has nurtured the young players. Mine is that he doesn't appear to be doing so now. For me Wassall et al have nurtured the young players. I am not falling into any trap - which of the young players is better now than when they where introduced, not even Knighty for me. They are all as good or regressing as they were when first played. That is my opinion.

48 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

That may be, but I’m not sure giving the job to someone with zero managerial experience is what we need in our current situation. 

Why? It’s a problem situation for whoever gets it. You’re either up to the task or not. 

Just now, Zag zig said:

1st caller radio Derby phone in, comes up with big Sam.

Pleeeze NO.

He made some good points tbf I haven’t listened to the call in for ages because of some that call up but was quite surprised that the first call was actually good 

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Good post. 

I was thinking, as bad a choice as Nigel Pearson was for that squad, at that point in time, he might actually not be a bad appointment in the current situation - we've not got a number 9 but I could imagine him liking Byrne and Buchannan, Knight's energy, playing a front 2 with Waghorn and Jozwiak (or one of the young strikers). OK, style wise it'd be a complete 180 and I couldn't see a place for Rooney in his style of team - It'll never happen after the way things panned out when he was here, but was more musing on how "right man at the right time" plays such a factor in these decisions.

I could see either Mac3 or Wassall picking things up but don't feel like that's the way the club will go. 

Whatever they do, I just hope it works.

I get your point in a round about sense. (even if I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole_ 

Thing with Pearson is that the last time even he didn't seem to know what he needed to get his style of play to work. Rowett essentially got what I think Pearson was going for in the space of a week towards the end of that season.

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

The argument that every appointment is a gamble is reductive. It's technically true but overlooks probability.

Betting with 4 aces in poker is a gamble but you have far better odds than a coin toss. John Terry would be a coin toss with the house bet on it. There are zero guarentees but there is higher likelihoods with some over others. There are certain managers out there who are experienced I'd be less likely to want than Terry for the exact reason that they would be less likely to succeed.

Plus you've completely neglected the point that now of all times is a bad time to appoint someone with zero experience, they would zero slack at a time they need it the most.

I largely agree about McCarthy and Warnock and to be honest I wouldn't go for your typical championship pragmatist. Although many will make the argument that we just need a safe pair of hands to put us on level footing again. 

Pearson, whilst I didn't expect to be as bad as he was, was fairly predictabley not the right direction.

Personally I would bank on someone who had an established playing style that would suit the current squad and had previously got players playing more freely, with confidence. Jokanovic being the first choice I'd probably go for; with consideration for possibly Wassall, Mac3 and Adkins (with others I'm probably forgetting).

Honestly if you want to gamble on an upcoming coach with no experience, I'd be more likely to put money on Pat Lyons.....

Nice points. To take your gambling analogy I would say that gambling with Warnock, etc is playing safe where you may break even. An unknown comes with higher risks but also possibly higher rewards. 

I can see the argument for the safe bet, the idea that a tried and tested manager gets us back on a steady footing but it doesn’t strike me as a long term plan. It’s a stop gap and one that would need changing again in the not too distant future 

2 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

Nice points. To take your gambling analogy I would say that gambling with Warnock, etc is playing safe where you may break even. An unknown comes with higher risks but also possibly higher rewards. 

Would you believe me if I said that we would of ended up hiring Warnock if the Lampard idea hadn't come along?

3 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

I can see the argument for the safe bet, the idea that a tried and tested manager gets us back on a steady footing but it doesn’t strike me as a long term plan. It’s a stop gap and one that would need changing again in the not too distant future 

I think you are completely correct on both points.

Personally I don't think we are such dire straits as to need to resort to someone whose and only job is "safe us from relegation", I think we can be a touch more ambitious. The performances have been such that you'd think that if the right man comes in makes a few tactical tweaks and gets a little bit more out of individual performances we will be ok.

However we need to have some caution because if we don't act carefully and decisively this terrible start will quickly spiral out of control.

Archived