New Manager

dantheram

9 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

I’m not saying it’s the way to go but other than a striker I think this squad would be ideal for Mac.

Fullbacks attack well.

Ball playing centre backs.

Bielik as the holder.

Knight in the Bryson role.

Jozwiak and Ibe as the wingers.

He also still follows the club and is good friends with uncle Mel.

Grant played a major part in Mac I's successful style. Marshall isn't anywhere near as good playing out from the back.
Keogh and Buxton complemented each other so well, much better than any partnership we can throw together right now.
Bielik, Bird, Knight and Sibley could be as good as Thorne, Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson, but we're a season or two away from that to be honest.
Buchanan's a perfect match for the Fozzy of 13/14, but Byrne lacks the all round ability of Wisdom from that season.
Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe and Whittaker vs Ward, Russell, Bamford and Dawkins...
Waghorn/Rooney vs Martin, Kazim-Richards vs Sammon...

Good enough to stay up, but is Mac the guy we can see staying beyond the one season? The likes of Wassall would have similar immediate success and wouldn't cost us a penny to hire or move on (back to the academy).

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

??????

Someone was claiming we're too reliant on "the kids" by having too many in the team all at once. If anything, we have too many old players in there, which is actually holding us back. We've looked at our best with a more youthful side this season. Last time out we started with:

Marshall - 35
Davies - 35
Rooney - 35
Waghorn - 30
Shinnie - 29
Byrne - 28
Lawrence - 26
Clarke - 24
Bielik - 22
Knight - 19
Buchanan - 19

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Someone was claiming we're too reliant on "the kids" by having too many in the team all at once. If anything, we have too many old players in there, which is actually holding us back. We've looked at our best with a more youthful side this season. Last time out we started with:

Marshall - 35
Davies - 35
Rooney - 35
Waghorn - 30
Shinnie - 29
Byrne - 28
Lawrence - 26
Clarke - 24
Bielik - 22
Knight - 19
Buchanan - 19

And why have we gone down that route? 

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Marshall - 35
Davies - 35
Rooney - 35
Waghorn - 30
Shinnie - 29
Byrne - 28
Lawrence - 26
Clarke - 24
Bielik - 22
Knight - 19
Buchanan - 19

Yes, but they're the wrong side of 30, not the wrong side of 40!?

10 hours ago, Ramley Apple said:

Not trying to stoke any fires but is there anyone that wants Cocu to remain in post, even if just for the time being?

The grass isn't always greener. I like Cocu enormously and if he were able to catch a break I can genuinely see him taking the team from strength to strength. We might look back on this international break like the time Fergie was going to be sacked at Man Yoo until he beat the Gumps through Mark Robbins in that FA Cup game, and say "imagine if we'd got rid of Cocu".

All the names being bandied around fill me with dread and despair. I understand things are miserable at the moment, but I'd say to people, "be careful what you wish for". With Philip Cocu the window is still open to a bright future where we bring through our academy kids and achieve long-term, stable, footballing success. Bring any other manager in and we're back to same old, same old, gambling our recruitment department is going to unearth the players to lead us into the Premier League.

#CocuIn

18 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I agree it's not impossible, but it's very unlikely and don't think it can be seriously considered anymore. It'd be an extended run of exceptional form, basically playing like a top 2 side (as you said) for the majority of a season. I'm more positive than most but I doubt that the squad is capable of sustaining that. And that's without considering that confidence is starting to look pretty shot in the squad which can be a tricky, patchy thing to turn around. The only way you'd do anything close to that is by rolling the dice a little on the academy talent (which is something I'd do to an extent anyway) on the chance that they really start to flourish (think we are starting to see signs of that with Buchanan and Knight). Build the side around Bird, Sibley, Knight and Buchanan with the like of Whittaker, Stretton and Archie Brown a lot closer to the first team squad and see if they can really fulfil their potential. 

Who does Sibley and Bird come in for? 

Im sorry but Max Bird is not a defensive midfielder as he can not tackle and he is too slow when making recovery runs. Does he get in the side over Bielik? No. Shinnie? No.

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The grass isn't always greener. I like Cocu enormously and if he were able to catch a break I can genuinely see him taking the team from strength to strength. We might look back on this international break like the time Fergie was going to be sacked at Man Yoo until he beat the Gumps through Mark Robbins in that FA Cup game, and say "imagine if we'd got rid of Cocu".

All the names being bandied around fill me with dread and despair. I understand things are miserable at the moment, but I'd say to people, "be careful what you wish for". With Philip Cocu the window is still open to a bright future where we bring through our academy kids and achieve long-term, stable, footballing success. Bring any other manager in and we're back to same old, same old, gambling our recruitment department is going to unearth the players to lead us into the Premier League.

#CocuIn

Football Success and Cocu don’t go together - not with Derby County anyway.

i think persisting with Cocu and his philosophy would only be more damaging to the club this season. I can’t see where a wins coming from nor where goals are coming from. The games up and rightly he should be off

20 minutes ago, Rampant said:

The Daily Mail (I know, I know) are apparently suggesting we are interested in appointing John Terry as the new manager. 

Pinch of salt etc.

If we were looking at an ex Chelsea player to be our next manager I would go for Jody Morris. Can’t believe he would leave his “dream” job though.

If we can hold on until January I think Trump would be ideal.

I know his style would be very direct, but he'd refuse to allow the EFL to see our tax returns, , demand every game we were losing continue until that's no longer the case  and there'd be no dressing room back chat I can assure you.

And if all that didn't work he'd probably invade Nottingham.

Archived